The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » swami gimmick dilemma (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

elushinz
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny Orlando
132 Posts

Profile of elushinz
I have discovered in my travels that I enjoy the effects of a swami gimmick. I picked one up and started doing some 'fun' type of mind reading i.e. fav. pets names, fav. states, stuff like that. My problem is that after seeing this apparent power I possess, they think nothing if little of the card magic. I would like some suggestions on maybe how I can work this gimmick into my closeup without it being a show stealer.
thanks in advance,
Tim
"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be f@#d up."
Mitch Hedburg
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Maybe, the stuff with the swami gimmick should be your closer. Every act needs to build to a finish.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6430 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Sorry to tell you, but good mentalism trumps magic tricks. I do a little of both, but find that after doing some powerful psychic effects the audience now believes that my magic tricks work with my mindreading powers. You might want to back off a bit on using your swami... one strong effect with it is enough.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Tim,
I have a three phase coin routine that uses a nail writer in one part. It is a very powerful close-up routine you might consider using. It is in my book but Write me privately about it if you want.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
It would be a shame to look for a swami gimmick routine that brings down the level of amazement, just so it fits in with the rest of your magic.

Perhaps this is a call to look for stronger card magic. I do some powerful mentalism, but I can assure you that my card magic gets reactions just as strong. Yes, an "ambitious card" routine may never get screams and huge reactions, but there's so much card magic that will. Plus there is a lot of mental card magic that can be a great segway, such as Derren Brown's "Extreme Mental Effort," his "Invisible Deal" (which is really body-reading, and not a trick), or the always-powerful Invisible Deck. If Invisible Deck is presented right (not the lame patter that comes with the effect), it couldn't possibly be weaker than your swami gimmick presentation.

Strengthen your other stuff rather than toning down your swami gimmick effect.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
elushinz
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny Orlando
132 Posts

Profile of elushinz
Thanks for all of the great insight. I will take it all into consideration in my future work with this powerful tool. Thanks again to all who replied.

Tim
"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be f@#d up."
Mitch Hedburg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » swami gimmick dilemma (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL