The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How big can an audience be when you are doing card magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TrevK
View Profile
New user
Fareham, England
8 Posts

Profile of TrevK
Hi folks,

although I am not really a beginner, I would like some advice as to how large a group I could do card magic (Non-jumbo) to? I am thinking of doing some tricks to about 20-25 workmates at christmas. (actualy fellow uni lecturers) It's a sort of talent show of mixed performers. Any advice out there please?

Trevor.
"Last night I dreamed I ate a ten-pound marshmallow, and when I woke up the pillow was gone." Tommy Cooper
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
As long as it's not a large auditorium everyone should be able to see and understand the magic. 20-25 people should be no problem.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I agree. That size audience shouldn't be a problem.

It also depends on what kind of card tricks you'll be performing. I'm mostly talking about a larger crowd such as in an auditorium. I've performed card tricks on stage in front of a few hundred people using a normal sized deck. As have many others. Mac King comes to mind with his traveling cards routine. Mike Finney does a card on forehead for large audiences.

Some tricks wouldn't be good with a small deck such as an ambitious card where they won't see the effect from a distance but many other tricks can still be done. BUt for 20 - 25 people. Even for 50 people. I don't think you'll have any problem unless they are sitting far away and I doubt you'd want that.

Have fun with your show.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Size of an audience may matter depending on the seating arrangements. Especially if doing close-up on the table instead of stand-up parlor type things.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Quite. It entirely depends on your choice of effects - for example an oil and water may be a little too small packed.

However, effects can be made to play very large - Paul Harris has used traveller effects for large audiences. Also, make them varied and visual - card from mouth, card on ceiling, etc etc, and it should play very well.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
TrevK
View Profile
New user
Fareham, England
8 Posts

Profile of TrevK
Many thanks for the helpful advice folks. Can I put something else in the ring. I will be performing in a lecture room with a large screen. (I am a university lecturer) I have the facility to have myself 'beamed' via video camera onto that screen so people can clearly see what I am up to. Does this idea sound too gimicky?

Trevor.
"Last night I dreamed I ate a ten-pound marshmallow, and when I woke up the pillow was gone." Tommy Cooper
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
Sjdavison and Jaxon,

Did you guys used the same photographer for your pictures?
:P

Will
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
LOL. They are kind of similar aren't they? Kind of like the same person in different times.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
What can I say? He's a good looking chap! Smile Yes, hadn't noticed that before!

YEs, a projector can be a good idea, Banachek has used that very effectively for metal bending demonstrations. Only problem I can forsee is moving around, as you would have to keep your hands fairly stationary, and it may be annoying to watch if your hands shift outside the frame. It could work, but would take some thought.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
It doesn't sound gimmicky but I don't think it may be necesary if there are only 25 people. Could be overkill I think.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I would use the camera the screen. Use a video camera and tv to test what you are doing if you have the chance. You have to make the decision for instance on whether you are going to 'play' to the camera or to the live audience.

This is not as easy as it sounds. Depending on WHO you play for a number of things must be taken into account. For instance: If you play to the audience then you have to forget the camera and make sure that you have someone who can adjust via steady cam, etc. to what you are doing. You can easily move out of fram destroying the continuity of what you are doing, etc.

It is probably more practical to WORK TO THE CAMERA and thus attempt to insure that you always stay in frame. Use of assistants, if any, will have to be worked into the routines as ancillary to what you are playing to with the camera.

Obviously, many problems are solved if you have multiple cameras and a DIRECTOR! The director would be absolutely necessary to insure that the framing, etc. worked out before hand was followed as you worked thru the routine.

Think of working with a screen much the same way that you would think of being on T.V. and you see the problems and the good points also. Because issues like the above are seldom thought of the use of camera and screens at magic conventions seldom look as good as they could or work as well as they could. Best,
Brad Burt
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
The use of a camera is certainly good - there is the danger that the cameraman is getting into some "unpleasent angles" - also, a bigh screen close-up of your sleights might also be a challenge to your handling.

So you need to discuss the scenario and the scene with the cameraman . . .

Good luck
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How big can an audience be when you are doing card magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL