The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Getting started...your advice wanted!... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicboy111
View Profile
New user
somewhere in Idaho
25 Posts

Profile of magicboy111
Hello,

I have been in magic for almost 8 years, performing mostly cards and close up, and some stage, but never for big crowds or anything. I am only 15, but don't let that turn you down. I am a TRUE magician, with TRUE values and priorities. I am a TRUE believer in the fact that the art needs to be preserved, and not spread out all over the internet, but anyways, enough about me.

I perform for classmates, and friends many times a day, and also perform just "on the spot" for my folks, friends. I want to start doing shows, for children. I KNOW it won't be easy, and KNOW that it will take awhile to get my act together (literally), and know it will cost. I will be 16 in about 4 months
and will be able to get a job to support my addiction (MAGIC of course!)

I was wondering if any, or all of you could give me advice and routines, themes, or even certain items that would work well for children. I have heard from others about the "sorcerer's apprentice" as it is sometimes called. This is the type of magic I would like to perform, not dull, or serious, but comedy, with good effect. Well, thank you all in advance.

Corey
WindsorWizard
View Profile
New user
CANADA - Windsor, Ontario
44 Posts

Profile of WindsorWizard
Hello Corey... You certainly have a challenge ahead of you, but you are in the right place for experienced advice. I'm sure if you read all the ideas that have been posted so far, you will have more than you need to start on your way to "entertaining" children.

As others have said, read everything you can on the subject, put a simple and audience involved show together that runs 30-45 minutes (which for me is about 6 or 7 routines) and practice it alot. I started doing shows for children when I was your age, and younger even, at the local library to get experience in front of an unknown group of children. They will give you insight that friends and family may not.

Once you have some of these complimentary shows under your hat, then you might qualify to work for a fee. Find out what the market in your area is rate wise and try to be competitive. The pro who makes his living locally from this business doesn't need someone coming in and down-grading the prices.

I recall an instance of a newcomer to our area that started promoting their services at half of what we locals had built. They could easily have earned close to what the rest were charging, but instead, put the idea into the minds of prospective clients that we were charging too much. This did not work fortunately, because logic sets in to remind one that you get what you pay for. So, keep an open mind and good luck in your new venture into the world of entertaining kids!
EVERYTHING is possible...
If you simply, just BELIEVE!
~ ~ ~ Johnny Ould ~ ~ ~
VISIT US: Windsor Magic Place & Cases For Magic=A Free Report!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Corey,

If you are going to perform for children it will almost HAVE to be comedy, rather than dull or serious stuff. Remember, kids see what they consider to be "magic" every day of their lives; it's the stuff that adults can do and they can't -- yet.

You seem to have a solid understanding of what you are letting yourself in for, and that is not only good, it's rare!

For routines, I use things that are short and colorful. Children have a shorter attention span than adults and, so, anything over a couple of minutes is too long.

I shudder when I hear a magician (I hesitate to call these people "entertainers") say he can get 10 or 15 minutes out of a routine. Hey, 10 or 15 minutes to a kid who has to sit there and watch is an eternity!

Be colorful! Kids like "eye candy"; so do adults, if the truth be told! So, lots of colorful silks and such.

Finally, I never open a children's show with anything but the Miser's Dream. (Vernon called it the most perfect magic trick.) Seems kids don't think you are a "real magician" (whatever that is) unless you can pull a coin from behind somebody's ear.

The Dream accomplishes a number of things:

It is quick.
It is flashy.
It is (relatively) short.
It involves the audience
(don't forget: Use lots of volunteers!)
It establishes you as a magician.
It needs virtually no props.
It is flexible and can accommodate just about any story line you care to come up with.

Good luck.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Nutty Norman
View Profile
New user
Colchester Essex UK
3 Posts

Profile of Nutty Norman
You already have had some excellent advice in the posts already. May I suggest that you consider my approach, which I have never seen in print or heard in any Lecture on entertaining children, and I have over the last forty years seen quite a few of them, it is this.

Never say, I am going to show you a Trick, as that immediately sets a challenge to the audience to try to fathom the modus operedi. I always have a reason for whatever effect I am about to perform. I do not know if you are familiar with George Blake's Silver Septre, basically it is a rising wand.

I introduce it by telling the tale that on the way to the show there was a funny old man at the side of the road. He had a long grey beard, a tall, pointed hat and a cloak with Moons and Stars all over it. Then I ask if anyone can guess what he was. A Wizard, that is right.

The tale continues of how I gave him a lift to whichever town I am working in, and I dropped him off just up the road from here.
I continue the tale of how he had given me a new magic wand to bring to the party and would the children like to see it. The wand, if you do not know the effect, rises without me knowing that it is doing so, I am sure that you can imagine the response that I get from the children in the audience.

I do hope that you have followed that, and if you have, hopefully, you can see that I have got into the routine without setting a challenge in the minds of the audience.

Another example is the Egg Bag, a real classic of magic which has stood the test of time. There is rarely a show that I perform that I do not perform it. However, I do not do the Magic, my helper, usually the Birthday child does.

I introduce it by saying, that as it is your Birthday Party you will be very good at Magic, I then perform the routine, claiming no responsibility for the production and disappearance of the egg as it was the Birthday Child who was Magical.

I hope that is some food for thought.
Good luck with your venture, it will not always be easy, but I always find entertaining children enjoyable, which leads me to my closing word of advice and I believe it applies to any form of entertaining and it is this -

If YOU do not enjoy giving your performance, how can you expect your audience to enjoy watching and being involved in it?

Cheers
Keith 'Nutty' Norman
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6804 Posts

Profile of bowers
Ha corey
you sound like your on top of things.
as said above young children like loud
flashy effects.and I think a short routien
is best also and move on to another effect.
silks are great also. learn to use a tt
and a dye tube and you will be able to do a
lot of silk effects.rope effects are good if your dealing
with older children that can grasp what you are trying
to accomplish in the effect.i do liquid effects also.
I love the comedy glass.magical coloring book-dream bags
are also good effects.i love to start out changing a silk to a cane
to draw their attention to me.strat-o-sphere needle thru balloon
abc blocks also work well.pick out what you want to do for your show
and go over it and over it till your patter and effects are drilled
into your head.then go out and perform and have blast.
todd
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Corey is also no longer 15 years old. By my calculations Corey is now 26 years old, and no one has seen hide nor hair of him for quite some time. He most likely has grown up met a girl, and is raising a family right now.

Have fun Corey girls are more than card tricks anyway.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24030 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I bet Corey will come back and post when he wants his kids to learn magic tricks.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3267 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2013-01-20 22:11, bowers wrote:
Ha corey
you sound like your on top of things.
as said above young children like loud
flashy effects.

I have built my business on loud flashy tricks; I don’t mind the extra two trips to my bus to load in.

Everyone in the room enjoys the magic
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:

I have built my business on loud flashy tricks;

You may want to rephrase that Smile
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3267 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2013-01-22 15:06, jay leslie wrote:
Quote:

I have built my business on loud flashy tricks;

You may want to rephrase that Smile

I have built my business with quality products from The House Of Enchantment and The Miracle Magic Company
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Quote:
On 2013-01-21 22:26, Al Angello wrote:
Have fun Corey girls are more than card tricks anyway.

Al is right on. But you still have to play around with them to make them look natural. LOL Hope that sounded funny.

Steven
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
A bad sentence. What I was trying to say was "girls are more fun than card tricks"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24030 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-01-23 08:01, Al Angello wrote:
What I was trying to say was "girls are more fun than card tricks"

But with cards tricks...
1. You have control.
2. There is no child support to worry about.
3. You are 'safe'.
4. You do not have to go to the store the middle of the night to but any Trojans.
5. You do not have to worry about leaving town if there is any dough rising in the oven.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mike
We all have different priorities some of us do magic because girls require too much effort, and others of us study magic to impress girls. I am a member of the second group, and I have I have no idea how you can resist the female charm.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24030 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sometimes I get moody for the boody too Al.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Getting started...your advice wanted!... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL