The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » DVD Duplication (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2201 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I've made an instructional DVD. The Lightscribed cover looks good. I have found many places on the web that do duplication, but was looking for someone that can be recommended. I only need a Tyvek window case and a full color printed DVD. I prefer in quantities as small as 12. PM me or post.

Best-
Pay it forward
sfmiraj
View Profile
New user
san fransicko, CA
45 Posts

Profile of sfmiraj
For quantities as small as 12, DVD-R is probably the most economical. Replication, while a more professional product, is considerably more expensive. At this level, DIY is an option. Photoshop your design, and print out on a nice glossy stock at your local print shop. I'm not a big fan of Lightscribe for professional output. Traditional glossy labels look nicer and are more familiar to the public.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Digital Production Studios offers special package deals to magicians, because it is run by magician Frederick Goode (the current director of The Wiz Kids, Inc., and a magic inventor whose effects grace the e-pages of my e-publication The Wizards' Journal) on my site. He can do the entire works: pre-production, production, post-production, and distribution, or break that up any way you want. He also has a service where he holds a master of your DVD product, and then sends you as many as you need, a few at a time or in mass quantities, and he can also do fulfillment work of mailing them out to your customers directly as you order them.

http://dpstudios.biz/video_magic.htm

If you don't see anything that pertains to your situation on this page, phone or e-mail Fred, and he will try to accommodate you for a situation not covered by information on the web page. Or you can contact me, and I will holler to him to get you the information (he lives near-by).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Have any of you used DPStudios?

Sounds interesting, but if their website is anything to go by, their design isn't too hot!

Gary
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2007-01-10 07:58, GarySumpter wrote:
Have any of you used DPStudios?
Sounds interesting, but if their website is anything to go by, their design isn't too hot!
Gary

Spoken like a true competitive website designer. (For those who don't know the joke, website designers never like anyone else's website but their own.) The service being offered by DPStudios includes Videography, Photography, and DVD duplication in small quantities. Website design and maintenance is also offered, but mostly for commercial purposes.

By the way, Fred's prices are about half of what Gary's company charges. But if you're interested, compare for yourselves and shop around first.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Just thought I'd join in the conversation. Smile

I'd agree with sfmiraj about the DVD-R. That truly would be your most economic route. There are many on the forum that also advocate Lightscribe, but I am with sfmiraj again on this one. I just don't like them.

However, I'd suggest NOT to use labels. Many reasons why (I've posted several times on the Café about why not to use labels). Instead, find someone who can print directly on the DVD itself. We have an Epson R200 (I think Kevin at Living Illusions uses the newer model, which I think is the R300). It prints right on the the DVD in full color. Very professional.

Gary, I really like your site design. Very clean.

As far as prices, there's more than just prices. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. (And I also agree that site design tells a lot about a company.)

I'll give you an example. With DVD production, there's still the fact that not all home-made DVDs play in all players. There are several reasons why, too. One has to do with data rate; one has to do with error correction. Without getting into too much detail, if a DVD is made too quickly (8 speed or even 4 speed instead of single speed), errors creep in. Some players can handle it and correct for them on the fly. Others cannot and end up skipping or halting.

Also, DVDs have data rates that range from 4-9 MB per second. The higher the rate, the more likely there will be problems on some machines. But this is determined in the DVD authoring process, which it sounds like you've already done. So this might be a moot point. But do keep this in mind in the future.

There are different masters that you can supply to whoever will make the copies. DVD-R will work, but there are better formats, such as .img files and digital tape masters (though these start to get more expensive).

I'd rather spend a bit more up front than worry about getting complaints from people that say their discs won't work.

Good luck and ask away if you have any other questions. There are so many wonderful and knowledgeable people here on the Café!

Warm regards,
Scott
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Scott shares a lot of real world experience and knowledge.

Higher speed can cause more errors or playback problems. We have been using 8 speed for quite awhile with less than 1% problems. I believe that number would be way higher at 16 speed.

The other thing about burning discs...is make sure you have a good 7200 RPM hard drive. A slow or bad hard drive will cause problems.

Indeed we have used the Epson R200, but we moved away from that about three years ago when we stepped up to the Primea Bravo, all in one duplicator/printer. It is fast, stand alone and dependable. In 3-4 hours time, it will spit out 50 duplicated and printed DVDs, without any effort from me. The robotic arm loads and unloads both the burner and the printer.

Also, the Bravo burns with .gi files, or Global Image, which in my opinion and experience is the best file to use. It literally is a snapshot of the master disc at the binary level.

Lots of info to digest, but it is all worth it.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
I also use a Bravo burner, and I love it!
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
sfmiraj
View Profile
New user
san fransicko, CA
45 Posts

Profile of sfmiraj
Quote:
On 2007-01-11 15:13, ScottRSullivan wrote:
I'd agree with sfmiraj about the DVD-R. That truly would be your most economic route. There are many on the forum that also advocate Lightscribe, but I am with sfmiraj again on this one. I just don't like them.

However, I'd suggest NOT to use labels. Many reasons why (I've posted several times on the Café about why not to use labels). Instead, find someone who can print directly on the DVD itself. We have an Epson R200 (I think Kevin at Living Illusions uses the newer model, which I think is the R300). It prints right on the the DVD in full color. Very professional.
Warm regards,
Scott

Scott,
I'd researched for local houses that would be able to print direct to disc, but was unable to find any. Consequently, I've used adhesive labels for my own projects with success. I've found the 'glossy' labels to have a high quality output. For micro projects, I've found these to be very efficient. For professional output, however, the circumstances would be different, of course.

Do you have any recommendations for direct to disk printing sources? Preferably, low volume.

Thanks.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

As I mentioned above, there are several printers you can use. We print with an Epson R200. Print one or print one hundred. There are other excellent choices, including one that Kevin mentioned already.

While printing on a label may be "efficient," it is not reliable. Discs spin at a rate of 1500 to 24,000 RPMs (for a 48X drive).

While you may not notice on short discs of 5-15 minutes, at these RPMs, any imbalance is amplified and will cause the disc wobble, and either cause the disc to pause for awhile or completely stop playing.

The reason you might not notice until deeper in a program on a DVD is that the laser starts reading from the inside of the disc (opposite of an LP record). Any 'wobble' will be minimized closer to the inside. As the disc plays, the laser moves further away from the center towards the edges where the wobble is amplified.

Also, this is rumor, but under the heat of the motor and high speed, the label's adhesive glue will begin to soften and centrifugal force will spew the adhesive glue into the inner workings of the DVD player. This would agitate me if it happened to me. While this is only a rumor, it's enough of a problem and easy enough of a solution that I never use labels.

Scott
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2007-01-13 21:17, magicleland wrote:
I also use a Bravo burner, and I love it!

If you have your own DVD burner, why are you looking for an outside duplicator for your small quantities of DVDs (as mentioned in your original post)? Do you just need professional-looking packaging or labels?
Professor Spellbinder

ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-01-15 23:12, Spellbinder wrote:
If you have your own DVD burner, why are you looking for an outside duplicator for your small quantities of DVDs (as mentioned in your original post)? Do you just need professional-looking packaging or labels?

Magicleland wrote that he loved the Bravo burner.

Magicmind was the original poster.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Thanks, that explains it. My eyesight is getting worse by the day.
Professor Spellbinder

CurtMiller
View Profile
New user
Houston
15 Posts

Profile of CurtMiller
There are also burner "towers" that are quite reasonable (and fast) that allow you to make 10-15 DVD-rs at a time. That is also an option if you want to do this yourself and burn just as many as you need.

Curt Miller
"Magic + Comedy = Entertainment!"
http://www.curtmiller.com
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
I own hollywebvideo.com..... just click corporate link. Its one thing to be able to master dvds, but making the product marketable is another thing. Ive been agentless for 6 years, on and off cruise ships, and over 100 shows a year for a good reason.
TV Magic Pal
View Profile
New user
Dogtown up in the 'Lou
62 Posts

Profile of TV Magic Pal
It is not simply a rumor that labels will occasionally (possibly eventually) start to loosen. It isn't the heat of the machinery as much as the moisture and environment. They are a real hazard to DVD-ROM equipment and I know many people in the video and music industry who will instantly throw away anything with a label.

It also should be noted (because it hasn't been mentioned yet) that if you want to print full color images on DVDs then you will probably need to purchase printable DVDs (they are white). The actual DVDs are also important because, believe it or not, you will find that certain blank DVDs will not work with certain burners and players! This is not a format issue (+R, -R, RW, etc.) but a quality issue.

If you are really looking for lots as small as 12, you really may want to find a local source who will be willing to deal with something that small. Also, you may look into having the DVDs made for order through a vanity press.
Michael L.

Magic is a lie. It is our job to convince the audience to overlook the lie and our goal to make them embrace it.
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
I disagree on the labels. All disks under 1000 in order size are labeled vs. screenprinted through us. We have disks that have been labeled for 6 years in perfect condition, and never a complaint from clients. I agree if you are using best buy or compusa labels (storebought), but online you can find industrial gloss labels that stick and stay for good, as well as hold ink and bright colors. Shop4tech.com carries good quality labels for consumers. I personally like the final labels vs screenprint, but sticking them is another story!!! The color is much more vivid.

Use quality labels and you will be fine.
fefe_fontane
View Profile
New user
Dallas/Los Angeles
46 Posts

Profile of fefe_fontane
I do DVD duplications myself. I have a video production company. Let me know if you want to discuss more on this topic. PM me.
A.C.D
214-952-7171
Magician's Assistant~Actress~Dancer~Model
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » DVD Duplication (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL