The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls gimmick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
I was wondering if they make a gimmick cups and balls that doesn't require sleight of hand? Do they make a cups and balls that can do things for you instead of palming things? Thank you...
§kitch
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
Hey Skitch -

Lower-cost cups and balls sets often come with a simple routine that you can do with little or no slight of hand (the cups do the work). This is how I started with the trick those many years ago - balls penetrate the cups to yield three balls at the bottom, then the balls jump from side to side, and finally a ball jumps from my pocket back under the cups to join the other two.

The above routine as described involves no plaming or vanishes in the hands.

Later, as I built confidence, I added a large load ball at the end. After that, I learned to do the slights - balls vanish one at a time in the hands and appear under the cups, etc.

You can grow with this trick. Its a classic. Hope this helps.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
Collinsville, Mississippi
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
I remember Paul Diamond carrying a set of cups and balls that envolved one that was a chop cup. But I can't think of any others that are actually gimmicked.

Steve
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
There are actually some really clever gimmicks involved in a few of my friends routines. Not really practical for walk around type magic, but perfect for competitions and things like that. As far as common gimmicks usable in most situations, chopped cups/balls would be my only thought too.
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Skitch just ask your dealer for a combo cups and balls set. it will give you a set with two normal cups and one chop cup. if you are unfamiliar with what the chop cup is just pm me. the only down side to this is that the bottom of the chop cup is often different then the two normal cups which means you cannot let some one examine the cups at the end. However i have found that you can hand out the cups to three seperate people and let eah of them examine the cups, but if you are not working the large crowds then this doesn't work.

P.S. don't spend to much on yuor first set of cups. Get a cheap set to see if you like them (ickle pickle makes a set the Hank Lee's sells for thirty bucks or so), then go back later and test out the different cup sizes and shapes till you find the ones you like.

Mat Smile
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Skitch,
I have to agree with Greg Owen's response
regarding the low-cost cups and balls set.
Not only does the basic routine require no sleight of hand, it throws laymen into slack jawed wonder.I hang out at a local magic shop where there is a steady stream of parents bringing in their kids to look around. The owner always demos some cheap plastic stuff and ends by doing the routine Mr. Owens referred to with a three dollar and fifty cent set of cups and balls. I would be rich if I got a buck for every customer that reacted with wide-eyed amazement.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
940 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
From a professional standpoint, Aldo Colombini's "Mamma Mia Cups and Balls" routine is devoid of any real problematic work. It is far prettier than the kid routine, but reminiscent as well. It uses three different colored balls, and really make the penetrations seem more plausible (and thus miraculous).

If you forget the final loading sequence, it is nearly sleight-less. Look for it on one of his "Lasting Impressions" videos. He always has a wondeful take on effects, and he uses amazingly simple methods most of the time. Yet his cups and balls routine kills in the real world.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Skitch:

Don't be afraid to use sleight of hand. Many people look for non-sleight solutions when all that is needed is some proper direction. The cups and balls is a classic. You can start with a non-sleight routine and develop into something that you can be very proud of.

Grow with it!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Thank you Ron Giesecke for your wonderful idea of using different colored balls. Such a simple idea and it really adds "impact" to the effect. As far as the topic goes. The best advice has already been given. Do the non-sleight method as you are learning the sleight of hand method. Combine the two methods, adding more sleight of hand as you hone your skills (the best of both worlds).
-Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
317 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Skitch-
Bill Palmer gives terrific advise. (Hi Bill!) Give this trick your full effort and attention. Find an experienced, skilled, performer-mentor for help with this trick. You will be glad you did.

IMO, use ungimmicked props for The Cups and Balls. Gimmicked props are not necessary.

Best wishes,
Gerald
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I'm another who agrees with Bill.
Whats wrong with a couple of slights ?
You can't do magic without putting in some work, and when you do pull it off the pleasure much greater.
Eddie
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I am new to magic and spend much of my practice time on the cups & balls. I started with the simple routine in Mark Wilsons Complete Course in magic book which has very simple sleight of hand. I now practice the John Mendoza routine for the Combo cups. I admit that I perform the simple routine more often because, well, it is simple and surprisingly well received. I usually do it with plastic stacking cups that I bought for 67 cents each. I highly recommend the Wilson routine for starters because it is so entertaining and easy to get into and out of.

Enjoy!!

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Let me point out something about sleight of hand. Sleight of hand is not necessarily difficult. It just takes some time to learn to do well. There is more acting involved in most sleight of hand than actual dexterity. Some sleights do take time to learn, but once learned, are with you forever. And once you learn to do them perfectly, they become tools for you to build upon.

Not to be boastful, but I spent 6 months perfecting the diagonal palm shift. I use is for the basis of at least three routines. It is not difficult for me to do now, but it was very difficult at first, because I did not understand exactly how it worked. Once Roger Klause showed me what to do, it took me only a couple of hours to improve it, and another several months to really make it smooth.

But was it worth it? You bet!!!!

Was it really difficult? Not as difficult as playing a two octave B major scale on a saxophone. Now THAT'S difficult!

So put it into perspective.

Think of it as an investment. Would you work three years to purchase an automobile? Would you work 30 years to buy a house? Then why not work a few weeks or months to learn the basic sleights for the cups and balls?

Just some thoughts.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Learn the sleights and learn to do the cups and balls well... it will last a lifetime and once mastered you can use almost any kind of cups and anything resembling a ball.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
charliewerner
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of charliewerner
Quote:
On 2003-07-24 20:27, Bill Palmer wrote:
Skitch:

Don't be afraid to use sleight of hand. Many people look for non-sleight solutions when all that is needed is some proper direction. The cups and balls is a classic. You can start with a non-sleight routine and develop into something that you can be very proud of.

Grow with it!

Yes I totally agree. If you don't love practicing magic, then take up singing.
"Seeing Joy, Sadness, Anger,Contempt,Surprise, Disgust,Fear on people faces are the motivation of my MAGIC" Charlie Werner (C.C.L)
charliewerner
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of charliewerner
Sleight of hand is what separate layman and magician.

Layman can have the magician's cups and balls in their hand but they cant duplicated. That's Magic.
"Seeing Joy, Sadness, Anger,Contempt,Surprise, Disgust,Fear on people faces are the motivation of my MAGIC" Charlie Werner (C.C.L)
Blayk P
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Blayk P
So many good posts here. I agree with most of them. Learning sleight of hand is a must.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Agreed on sleights and agreed that C&B is an effect that grows with you. There are endless variations, as well- so even if someone has seen them before, your version will likely be new to them.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-11-09 22:22, charliewerner wrote:
Sleight of hand is what separate layman and magician.

Layman can have the magician's cups and balls in their hand but they cant duplicated. That's Magic.

NO.

There's more to the difference than sleight of hand.

Indetectibility of method and good entertainment value, as well as smoothness in delivery are just a few of the differences that separate the magician from the layman.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls gimmick? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL