The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Rope Escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Ok, I have a desire to add a simple rope escape to my shows. I'm not an escape artist, but this would work well with a message I want to present. The rope tie I am thinking of starts with the performer seated in a chair. The rope is brought under his legs and then tied on top of the legs. The performer places his wrists together and on top of the knot for the legs. Then a spectator ties several knots to secure the performers hands and legs firmly together.

Question. No, not how is it done. But what source might I go to to find such a rope escape.

Thanks
Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Never mind. I've playing around with this a bit and figured out a method for accomplishing what I want to do. I suprised myself, this is a very good looking escape. Simple but effective.

Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Ed Garcia
View Profile
New user
Lindenhurst, IL
35 Posts

Profile of Ed Garcia
It's funny, I've performed this before and I was curious if anyone out there could educate me on what it's specifically called? Perhaps who created this escape?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
It's mentioned in a number of books, though I don't offhand recall which ones.

I believe it came out of the seance tradition, which means it would've originally been done as a spirit tie. The goal would have been to be tied at the beginning, and untied at the end.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
The tie that is mentioned is in one of Xtremes Books you might want to contact him.
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
This is a rope tie developed by "Bish" The Magish, Billy Bishop. It should be in Volume 6 of The Tarbell Course in Magic.
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
I've looked through some of my books tonight and here's what I've found:

The Art of Escape Volume 7, page 37, John Novak, circa 1980; Mr Novak states, "I read the name Billy Bishop in one of the magic magazines, the first time I had seen a mention of him since his act "Bish the Magish" had been changed to "Billy Bishop and Anne" circa 1949... in the 1940's I very much coveted one trick he was doing.." Then Novak goes on to describe the rope/chair tie that you mentioned.

Encyclopedia of Escapes, page 14, McLaury, circa 1964; "Chair Escape Method One- " this is where McLaury explains that the escape using a six to eight foot rope while sitting in a chair "is one of the easiest escapes I know of and yet it looks impossible". No mention of the creator.

Micky Hades' New Expanded Encyclopedia of Escapes, page 20, circa 2001; "Chair Escape Method One-" same explanation and comments as found in the original E. of E.

Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks Volume 2, page 90, Abbott's Magic Novelty Co., 1st ed. no date; "Abbott's Slick Tie" is nearly identical in description to the same effect you describe. It's explained as an in-again out-again gag. No mention of the creator but the ACKNOWLEDGMENTS page lists this among other effects taken from their catalogs, TOPS and NEW TOPS magazines.

Rope, Chain and Box Escapes by U.F. Grant, page 2, (staple bound manuscript) no date; called the "Chair Escape" and uses the Zella Master Tie for the wrists (page 1).

So there's a start for you if you are interested in reading the explanations in any of these publications.

Best to you,

Joe
Ed Garcia
View Profile
New user
Lindenhurst, IL
35 Posts

Profile of Ed Garcia
Wow. Thanks for the info, Joe.
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Hay no problem. It's funny how the image of a trick stays in your mind, like a splinter, forcing you to dig through the house until you find which books it's in.

Glad to help!
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1297 Posts

Profile of nucinud
My 2 cents, the Kellar Rope Tie is very powerful.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
sloopcamelot
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of sloopcamelot
I happened to run into William McLaury this weekend at Denny and Lees. He says he is rewriting his encylopedia and hopes to have it out in early 2008. (The man is FAST getting out of cuffs.)
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I did it as a comedy routine for years, sounds like you already know how to do it, just routine it.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Quote:
On 2007-09-10 00:07, sloopcamelot wrote:
I happened to run into William McLaury this weekend at Denny and Lees. He says he is rewriting his encylopedia and hopes to have it out in early 2008. (The man is FAST getting out of cuffs.)

That's great news! I have his original encyclopedia. It's a great piece of work. Should be in everyone's library. Now wouldn't it be nice if the Cannons could get Mr McLaury to give a lecture at the EA Convention? I think I need to suggest that to Mark and Sheila for the 2008 Convention. Maybe Mr McLaury would even bring his books to sell. Wouldn't that be something?

Thanks for the info sloopcamelot. And by the way, welcome to The Magic Café!
magicjames798
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of magicjames798
This rope escape also is explained on Dixie Dooley's dvd set on escapology. It is referenced as a spirit rope tie. I use this in my shows and it gets huge laughs.
For those who believe no explanation is necessary, for those who do not none will suffice.
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
388 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
It is also explained by Dean Gunnarson one of Stevens Magic of Canada videos.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4426 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Ggarcia

For such a small baby you sure can type well (better than me) and that you have recently escaped from the womb I congratulate you. Shame about the "big bald bloke" who is holding you - I know its hard sitting up though - but you could have used a baby seat instead.

To the "big bald bloke" - how old is the little one? You must be very proud! And at last an excuse to buy all those cool toys you wanted when you were a kid and never got and still want! (I just bought my son a slot car track that sends the cars upside down and up the wall etc Smile kids are great!)

And just in case you didn’t notice and are thinking about hunting me down the "big bald bloke" was a joke - I nearly went with big ugly bloke - but thought that was unfair
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Thanx ggarcia
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1066 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
OK, this question was asked in 2006… but…

you can also find it on Dick Stoners tape (or dvd)

I Spell Magic FUN volume one

It shows Dick performing the routine on TV, and then he explains it.
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Rope Escape (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL