The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » TheCount's Cold Deck Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
At the close of Friday's meeting, we were discussing Mister Z's problem, concerning his wife...
Mister Z stated that his wife made him uneasy because she drew stares from men on the street. Is that correct, Mister Z?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
Yes, on the occasions I let her out of the house.
"...if you have to say you is, you ain't."--Jimmy Hoffa
memph33777
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of memph33777
I know people are gonna get angry with me for what I am about to write. and maybe I am writting it a bit hasty. but there is a old saying "neccessity is the mother of invention". most of the things that have been invented were invented out of neccessity, and the neccessity is that people had to eat. Dice and Card moves were invented by street hustlers as the 3 card monte, shell game, and dice switches and card cheating. Some people just aint got the guts to put it down like it is suppose to be. See its one thing to have knowledge and its a completely another to have guts. Even the bible says that the just man has considered the ways of the wicked! Some people their eyes love street hustling but their heart lets them down. In other words they aint got the guts to do it. It takes guts to switch dice on people, it takes guts to do a cold deck switch, it takes guts to do the three card monte on the street, it takes guts to do the shell game on the street. I read somewhere that the same man who could hit a bullseye everytime in target practice couldn't hit the side of a barn in a duel. I know you all don't like this but I don't care, I know I am right. I am a street hustler and I am not petty. I have went up against many a man who owned a factory, or a warehouse. After all the more intelligence you have the more money you have so I don't go up against the dumb and ignorant but the intelligent. I go up against college graduates etc and I never graduated college. So I think it is very disrespectful to call doc a petty street hustler because he has a education and there are all types of educations. he might not have a college education but he has a education from the streets that has been passed down. If they gave each of you a million dollars and you played cards with doc he would probaly beat all of you out of all your money.

your friend memphis jay
Bizarrist
View Profile
Loyal user
The Man of Mystery
236 Posts

Profile of Bizarrist
Quote:

The Bottom Line: Money is their god and they'll do anything to get it.

I almost don't believe this statement. Makes me think of what the pot might say to the kettle.

SW
The Most Beautiful Experience We Can Have is the Mysterious.
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1321 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
Just Want To Be Remembered

Memph thanks for writing and thanks for the shout out I very much appreciate it. I just want to say I understand TheCount even though at first glance I didn't. Everybody wants to be somebody that the world remembers and also they're tired of living in the conditions that they are living in and want to get out and the quickest way is to do what no one else has done; write a book on Cold Decking. If I wasn't at the level that I am and wanted to learn cold decking I would purchase his book like I did so many others. I guess I want to hang on to my world title at the moment and got a little offensive about it. Let him write, write, write seeking his Utopia. I made it to the top and when I got there I sadly found out that there was nothing there, I guess this is why I write periodically here at this forum.

I pray that this forum last forever so that the records will show memph that we are also world-class playa's too.

TheCount I will not post your other PM's nor your work on cold decking because you've already explained your side of it and not everything that you wrote an answer to was completely wrong. I just honestly wanted to know and to be fair in all dealings with you.

As far as education is concerned, I went to college but stopped in order to take care of my new born son because I didn't want to be on public assistance; too proud. I eventually did get on it though. Now don't get me wrong but to me college is a means of getting an education so that you can make more money in the field of which we wish to pursue.

There is no college that teaches what I know now so I had to learn it in the streets. I had to seek out experts in order to find out what and what doesn't work. My salary is great and I work when I want to work and I make in a couple of hours what some people take all week to make. I make close to $150,000 a year (it fluctuates according to the vics and how hungry for money I am). I know for a fact that I can make a million dollars in 4 years, maybe in two or one if I really pushed my playing; but money didn't bring me the happiness that I sought so I don't try to get it like I used to. So do I really need a college education? No. Why? Because those who do graduate from college is ONLY SMART in the area in which they studied and to be honest with you that's not all true. That degree is only a ticket to get you into the door and the funny thing about it is, is that they teach you how they want you to do their work anyway so what was all the college about. Note: This is for most fields not all.

I went to "Harvard ("The School Of Hard Knocks") and I had 27,000 people reading about my life and my experiences on here and they are still reading what I write. I was always in the top two classes of every grade while growing up in school. All of you don't know that it is I who originally started Rap/Hip Hop in New York City in 1976 when I was 18 years old. A guy by the name of D.J. Hollywood who lived around the corner from me one day heard me doing it, made up his own rap words which started like this...a hip, hop, a hip, hip, hop etc. and since he was a D.J. at a club in the Bronx call 371 and everybody heard him there, the world says that Hip Hop started in the Bronx when it didn't.

The 5 Heartbeats movie is made after my singing group. After winning many times (18 to be exact) at the Apollo and jumping off stage into the audience while fighting my singing partner to get him back on stage we were approached in '87, '88 and interviewed. They asked about our life story and we told them. I was the songwriter who always looked back because the band kept playing our song wrong, Percy was choirboy, Charlie sung base, and Pop/Joe got on crack. Flash in the movie was a homo by the name Nick Jones that used to sing around us who imitated Prince while rolling all over the stage kicking off his shoes. The person who interviewed us said that we were going to be in the movie but later on we found out that they lied. The writers changed the time era and took our life story and did the movie without us. Can we prove it? Yes and No. I have an 18 year old cassette tape where you can hear the audience not liking us because the band was playing our song messed up and when we went accapello off stage the women started screaming for us and then we get a standing ovation from the audience as Ralph Cooper commends us on our performance. I also have pictures of this show with the dates of when this happened and when we were off stage fighting.

I'm just so mentally tired of inventing and doing things and they keep getting stolen from me while others claim my glory and the sad thing about it is, is that know one believes me even though I can prove it if need be. I would post the pics but ya'll would then see my face. All this would be in my movie if I ever had a chance to make one but as luck would have it, I wont. I just got robbed out of my spot on Court TV. Now my cold deck moves will also be taken away and the only proof to the world is ya'll seeing me do it first and as days turn into years, years into decades I will be forgotten for doing this too.

This is what I wrote Oprah a while back.

Quote:
Hi Oprah

My name is Eric and I live Harlem, all my life I’ve been trying to succeed but always been running into brick walls in one-way or the other and I’m mentally tired now. When I was 18 my singing group and I started Rap in 1976 but was never acknowledged for it because someone else stole our idea and came out with it before we did.

Since my singing group got better over the years we used to appear at the Apollo as competitors and guest (I’m the one who got David Peaston at the Apollo). One night after getting a standing ovation someone interviewed my group and me about our life and how we got started and told us that we were going to be in a movie and got me to tell them the group life story. A few years later the 5 Heart Beats was made with our story and an act that appeared at the Apollo that night.

I’m the one who wrote the songs made up the dance steps and never liked the piano players while Percy who sung like choirboy jumped off stage into the audience. Charlie sung base and Joe came back to the group after getting off of crack. Flash was a gay singer (Nick Jones) who sung Prince songs and rolled on the floor.

In Jungle Fever I played the part of a crack head right along side of Samuel and Halle and after I told everybody I was in the movie my part got edited out that was so embarrassing. See related story on your wish list.

Now I want to do a movie about hustling/gambling and I can’t seem to get anyone to help me. Being that I’m now one of the best black cheats in the country even though I don’t have the money to prove it, I see new and old movies/documentaries about white hustlers but never about our black legends that used to play cards, dice, pool etc. why?

This lifestyle may not be appealing to some but it’s a fact that many of us blacks have to hustle/use our skill in order to survive and we didn’t have to do it by selling drugs. We have just as much cheating skills as the whites and our skills and stories need to be shown and told.

Can you help?

I guess this is why I wrote to the forum one time “That An Acknowledgement Would Have Been Nice.”

I can’t ever get credit for nothing.

Respectfully,

Doc
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well I can tell it’s you it’s cheap an easy to self publish a book these days, the hard part is writing one well or getting it ghost written. It’s called print on demand. Basically they print then one at a time, as when guys want to buy a copy. A good book, is unlikely but, might be made into film in the future. Bill Palmer knows a lot about publishing and I’m sure he would give some better advice. He wont sugar coat it he will tell you straight but he seems a wonderful guy to me.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
C. Loubard
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of C. Loubard
Doc,

The last book, If I remember correctly, written about hustlers was "Road Hustler". This book is an underground classic amongst cheats. Sadly, however, it is out of print and copies range in price between seventy-five dollars to upward of a hundred dollars.

The day you decide to write a book based on your life on the street, I assure you I will be at the front of the line to secure a copy.

In the meantime, If you are seriously considering it, I will speak to a friend who has had several books published. In the past he has helped people get publishing deals, all be it was a different subject matter entirely.

I make no promises anything will come of it, but I will speak with him if you are interested.

C. Loubard
bill7
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
212 Posts

Profile of bill7
OH MAN COME MAN . D. O. C. What up dude? SO now what ? YOU got support.SO now you have to write a book. I would buy your book. MAn up and get to work. Talk to Larry barnowsky I believe he published his own book. If I am correct. HOW about "RIng it in(keep that deck warm)"
Bill G.
Virginia,
usa
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
571 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
I remember Kaufman commenting that he printed 1000 copies of Road Hustler and it took years to sell them all.

Take care, Ian
memph33777
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of memph33777
Doc why don't you do a card and dice expose video and sell it? We have a lot in common also, I was also always 1 or 2 in my class. Readers Digest did a article called the minnesota connection and it was about how guys from memphis were going to minnesota and bringing white girls to new york to be prostitues. If you go to miami, d.c.,new york,vegas, hollywood, phoenix, houston, dallas, nashville, minneapolis, san diego, etc. you will find that the majority of the pimps come from memphis. A woman asked me in phoenix one time "do yall have a school for pimping in memphis", anyhow my mom worked for a attorney but I grew up around pimps and playas and that's what I sought out, but doc the bible says he who loves riches will not be satisfied with riches. And I look at myself and I wonder why do I do what I do. I know it is better to do good than to do evil. But the bible says there are only 3 sins, The lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the pride of life. Doc our sins is the pride of life, we are suckers because we are doing exactly what s.w. erdnase said to don't do. we got game, but we cant keep the game to ourselves, the pride of life makes us want to let people know hey I am a bad mother freaker and I am better than you and I can do something that you cant do. But we are somebody. We are con men. And not everybody can say that. WE are not con men who beg for nickels and dimes on the street. WE are con men who break rich intelligent people. Let history be kind to us. And let it be said that Memphis Jay and Harlem Doc were 2 intelligent money getting players. WE were 2 smart to work for somebody we made our own way.

YOur friend,
Memphis Jay
CardShark2004
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of CardShark2004
This has turned into an interesting thread
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Word up G's. I, for one, am also tired of you white people stealing from the black man. Now stop it! Thank you.
Funkidelickly yours,
Steve V
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
I remember Kaufman commenting that he printed 1000 copies of Road Hustler and it took years to sell them all.
Take care, Ian

The thing about Road Hustler is that it's not a book of stories and tales told for entertainment, and can at times be a very dry read.

It was written by an academic, largely for academics.

It's been picked up by those interested in hustling because it's probably the only throughly researched look into the world of hustling there is.
One of the co-authors (Robert C. Prus, an Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Watterloo in Ontario) cites all of his sources and provides tables, charts, and all of the other assorted items one expects to see in an academic document.

I own this book, and the reason I feel it has much value is because it eschews all the "I'm the hottest thing on the street" kind of talk, and replaces it with a clear description of how various hustles really work. This gives it a real value in ones efforts to understand hustling and how real hustles happen.

The other reason this book reads as so authentic is because you can either look at it as Robert Prus was wise enough to co-author the book with C.R.D. Sharper (a real hustler), or that Sharper was smart enough to have Prus filter all his tales through the mind of a university prof, which in turn gives the book it's extremely sharp focus.

Although this book goes for around the $100.00 mark, it really is worth the read. I'm not sure it's the kind of book you would keep in your library for ever (it really doesn't require re-reading) it is a book everybody interested in hustling should read at least once.

Get a co-writer Doc, and go for it. I'd be right there with my pre-order!!

I think that the market probably would be receptive to a well written book on hustling, as long as it was written by a real hustler, and that hustler had a co-writter (or a great editor) who made sure the book was structured properly.

In the end, a book on hustling that was written by a magician would be far less interesting than a book on hustling written by a hustler.
In terms of cold-decking, I'd be less intersted in a magicians take on cold-decking than I would on a hustlers take on cold-decking.........that pretty much applies across the board on hustling techniques.

Dai Vernon sought the "real work" from hustlers his entire life, and never presumed to know more than they did. Without commenting on their morals, he completely respected their abilities.
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
571 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
I would disagree that Road Hustler does not stand up to a second reading. I've read the first section three times front to back, and I regularly dip into it when I have a spare moment. However, I could never get into the second section at all.

Take care, Ian
memph33777
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of memph33777
I like adages, and I am going to give you guys two.
1.anything you love you keep.
2. those who cant do teach.
the game I use I love my game and I don't give it away easy. I still say guys like scarne, garcia etc they were suckers with the game and they wanted to be real hustlers but they didn't have the guts so they did it the sucker way. I have seen it a million times. example you can see a person doing something wrong and you tell the police. you tell the police because you are jealous that you couldn't do it. scarne and garcia saw hustlers and they got jealous because they couldn't do it or jealous because they werent real hustlers and they snitched to the police, suckers or whoever else would listen and tried to destroy the game. They say that you hate what you fear. So my advice to you people is if you want to be a real street hustler or if you want real street game then go to real street hustlers.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
And remember chillins of the puritan leaning, the hustler exist only to fill a need that suckers have to be suckered.
Steve V
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Quote:
On 2006-11-12 18:23, memph33777 wrote:
example you can see a person doing something wrong and you tell the police. you tell the police because you are jealous that you couldn't do it.

yeah that's not true. You tell the police because you don't want it done to you.
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Hey shizzle etc, if you get hustled it is because you made that choice. Please don't hate those of us who feed on the carion in neck ties because of their decisions. Word up.
Steve V
Bizarrist
View Profile
Loyal user
The Man of Mystery
236 Posts

Profile of Bizarrist
Have you considered working with The Count. That boy loves to write. I enjoy reading his style of writing. Perhaps a win win scenerio could come of it. Then perhaps you'll have a little legacy ... and credit to look back on in those golden years.

SW
The Most Beautiful Experience We Can Have is the Mysterious.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2006-11-12 18:23, memph33777 wrote:
2. those who cant do teach.
the game I use I love my game and I don't give it away easy. I still say guys like scarne, garcia etc they were suckers with the game and they wanted to be real hustlers but they didn't have the guts so they did it the sucker way.

Sorry but I do not agree with this at all. It takes the same amount of nerve - in fact I think more nerve to get up in front of an audience and show and spotlight a move like a bottom deal. Then do it and the audience not only thinks that it would fool them in a real game. But they walk away thinking - "I wouldn't play cards with him."

Card sharks most often move in a real game only when it will get the money and only when they will get away with it.

Magicians "must" move in a real show and "spotlight" the move and then get away with it. People like John Scarne and Frank Garcia were very good because they moved with TV camera's on their hands and fooled audiences.

And that is my point fooling people in a card game and getting away with it is not as hard as fooling them the way that a magician does it when using the same moves. The fact that they did not cheat at a poker table is only a reality in the fact that they - and others - did not "NEED" to cheat to "get the money."

Do magicians "fool" people and get the money the answer is "Yes". They and others have other ways of "getting the money."
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » TheCount's Cold Deck Book (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL