The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » "The DROP" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20017 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok just for clarification "The DROP" is not a magic move. It is what is refered to in comedy clubs when they speak of the time that the checks are "dropped" on the table and people see for the first time exactly how much they are paying PER BEER.

It is a tough time to deal with, and not something you have to worry about unless you are the headline act. IF you are then my suggestion is to worry about it plenty.

Here is the deal. Many clubs have a 2 drink minimum. Charge outrageous prices for soda and pretty good ones on beer. Now about 15 or 20 minutes prior to the end the checks are "dropped" on the table, all at once. So about the same time EVERY TABLE is distracted by this. Then as they start to read them you get the discussions with each other, with the servers, it is a mess. "Did you have 2 beers or 3?" It can be quite distracting. It can and almost always bring the show WAY down.

Those are the broad strokes. Now what can you do? It will happen. It hasn't changed in 30 years and isn't about to any time soon. So you can just keep plowing through and hope for the best, which is the method employed by most. Or you can plan for it. Do things that may not require a huge reaction. Don't set up your finale, as people are not paying attention. Fill with some jokes. Anything to let them get the time they need to get back on track!

Hope this helps some.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Have you tried making a comedy routine based around people's reactions when they get the checks?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20017 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Every one of these routines I have seen will bomb huge at one point or another. Why remind people of it? Trust me when they bomb, they bomb big.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
I'm usually having a spectator strap me in a straitjacket during the drop. It's a couple minutes that they don't really have to be paying attention, and I'm spouting off mostly one-liners; no groundbreaking bits here.

I guess I've never even acknowledged the drop.

Oh, by the way... if the drop were a move... what would it look like??
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20017 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nathan let me just say PERFECT. That was what I was getting at. You don't have to say anything about the drop, just know it exists. Don't be confused while it happens.

Nathan, bravo.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
WOO HOO! I got a "bravo" and a "perfect" from Danny Doyle! I'm puttin' dem words in my promo! Smile

Oh. If the "drop" were a move, I've decided that it's what happens when your cork doesn't firmly fit up your zombie.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
"I must point out Ladies and Gentlemen
Last night when I tried this next trick,
the flaming torches slipped from my hands
and crashed into the first table right there
knocking over $74 worth of drinks.

Yep, 3 beers , 2 orange juices, gone, just like that"

adies and gentle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » "The DROP" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL