The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Magician's Milk substitute? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JohnWolf
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of JohnWolf
What are you using for a substitute for the old amber bottled liquid when using your milk pitcher. I had resorted to carrying a small jar of powdered milk. Any other ideas?
John
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Hi John,
You may find this thread useful...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=8

Best of luck!
JohnWolf
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of JohnWolf
Thanks Magiguy, that helps a lot.
John
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
John,

I am currently using powdered milk also. It works best if you will mix it the night before the show. This will give the foam time too settle down. I use less powder than is called for and it is still white enough. I found a good milk bottle to mix it in. It is a container used by Promise brand milk. It is a short bottle with a screw-on cap that seals well. The mouth is really large so it makes mixing easy. To mix it, I just pour in the powdered milk, fill the container with the correct amount of water, screw on the lid and shake it up. I then place it in the fridge and let it get cold. The Promise container makes it easy to transport also.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I wouldn't put this in your pitcher (it would be a pain to clean out), but when I use a small disposable plastic cup, I put a couple drops of watery white acrylic paint. Its cheap and looks decent.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
How about using whole milk, 2 percent milk or skim milk?

I realize it turns sour and can curdle, but after how many hours in "normal" temperatures?

As a back up, in case there is no grocery store near your show site, it makes sense to carry a bottle of pre-mixed powdered milk.

Not sure that it helps any to place it in prior to the show unless you really plan to drink it... although I suppose it has milk products in it so it could tuen "bad"it not refriderated... is that right?

The suggestions made, to use less pwder than called for, and to mix it the night before to let the foam settle down, seems to be a good one.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Jonathan,

I just refrigerate it to keep it fresher for a longer period of time. Powdered milk, after it is mixed seems keep longer than regular milk. However, the foam does take some time to settle down, so I just mix it the night before a show and stick it in the fridge.

Having said all that, it will still sour or go bad. Make sure to thouroughly rinse your bottles and jugs or whatever you are using.

Regan
Mister Mystery
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks Regan.

I think I will stick with the "real thing" when possbile, but keep somepowered mik on head for back up.

Jonathan
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I bought some 1 percent milk today at the local grocery store. The mik is in liquid/ready-to-dring form, and is sealed in a "special" container that provides this milk with a shelf life of almost one year. The conatiner (and possbily the mik) is special in that once opened, and refridgerated, it stays "good"/drinkable for up to 20 days.

I plan to carry this milk in it's special container to my shows. At $2.79 for about a litre (approx. a pint) , it's a bit costly, but to me, it's trouble free and worth the added expense.

has anyone else trid this solution ? (pun intended)

Jonathan
Jonathan
royaltmagic
View Profile
New user
Kintuckee
61 Posts

Profile of royaltmagic
There's a couple of different types of things you can get.

One is called "Milk-Tex" put out by Magic City. It's a liquid that you add to water, and it gives the appearance of milk. Looks great too. You don't have to refrigerate it. It won't spoil or anything. It's not suggested you drink it though.

Another is called "Super Oom" put out by Mak Magic. Same thing as "Milk Tex"...just a different name.

I have some Milk Tex if you're interested. You can PM me if you like.

Hope this helps.

-Travis
"Beeble beeble beeble. Blah blah blah."

- Sum Wan

http://www.royaltmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Magician's Milk substitute? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL