The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Master of the Streets: David Blaine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I can't take you seriously Scott, sorry.

Once again, anybody with Blaine as their #1 friend on MySpace likely can't have any perspective on the issue.

Do you "channel" all the unknown magicians here on the Café who don't post?.....is this how you know what they think?
expand your consciousness
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of expand your consciousness
Funny, I have read about people on this forum talking about how they got into magic by first seeing Blaine. I guess I have to go pre-Blaine a decade ago to find other inspirations. Obviously I am pro-Blaine, he was an inspiration for me. I don't worship him like others worship CA, but I think his character is great, yah maybe too monotone, but you cannot deny that he brought magic to the mainstream. And as for Ellusionist forums I wouldn't even touch that with your deck of cards.
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Quote:
On 2006-12-18 02:22, Scott Xavier wrote:
Ah Silverking, try again. Most the magicians on here don't post, but rather read. The ones we read most often are fanatical right wing extremists who hate anyone on tv because they can do it better. I say pony up and show me your specials...

Fanatical right wing extremists? When did politics come into the picture???????
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Hey Scott, how come I can't be your #1 friend on MySpace. How come David Blaine gets to be your #1 friend and I don't?

Come to think of it, how does a guy actually get David Blaine to be his #1 friend on MySpace?

Your perspective in any Blaine discussion is obviously skewed by your tight relationship with the man himself.

If this were a court of law, you'd have to excuse yourself.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
I can't answer for Scott, but I would say I think 'expand your consciousness' would probably win his bet. The words he uses are 'inspired by'. Almost everyone who posts on/reads these forums are familiar with and have watched David Blaine. I think most would have been influenced by him, either positively or negatively. He has inspired people enough to create this thread, and several others on or including him. He IS the most prominent figure in magic to the worldwide general public, and the biggest reason for current youngsters to take up magic - ask anyone at the Young Magicians' Club (The Magic Circle's Youth Initiative), which I just 'graduated' from.

Cheers

Chris
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Sorry kids, while you guys are bashing David, I was out performing corporate holiday shows. I'm glad that such professionals as yourself can find time to visit my myspace and post on this thread. I'll pop in from time to time, but for the next month I'm booked CRAZILY!

I was in Cedar Falls Iowa than went to Kenosha Wisconsin then up to Millwaukee then to Highland park. Being on the road is a little hectick and I appreciate the fact that all of you are following my responses so closely.

Anyways back on topic:

"I do not speak for any unseen performers here. Instead I talk to many on here, and they just don't like to speak out and get involved in this banter and bashing that happens when one sides with a GREAT MAGICIAN!

Now I use the word great because he defined an era of modern magic. In fact when a special airs, I get more traffic and work out of it. I also use the word GREAT because he had and still has a vision of what TV magic should look like. Spectators and reactions... On TV drop the theatrics and stick to a formula and vision that works!

Have you ever met David? Do you know his personality or skill level? Or are you just talking non-sensically or out of jealousy?

Why do I have David number one on myspace? I was coding it and had his profile as one of my top friends for easy access. I like using his top friends as a reference list for contacts in the magic biz. I wont mention any names, but some who have posted on this thread are actually on his top friends.... They are some geniuses of magic! Also, why not have a man with vision on my top friends list?

With 1800 girls and fans on my friends list, I needed a generic Icon to be my number one. That way no consultants, girls, ex's, or fans got mad by my selection of top friends.

Lets ****yze my top friends:
Bass-Schuler, my agent
David Blaine, a legend and a friend
James t. Cheung, friends and consultant
Greg M, a fan with my logo tatooed on him. The first in a series of fans, but as being the first it secured him a spot.
Tracie, close friend that person who you've known for years and can't live without...
Katie, promoter and such.
Bernie, personal assistant

As you can see I have chosen the top friends wisely. With 1800 girls/fans begging for top spots, I needed to place the top spots to key people so that no one feels left out. I doubt any one is bothered by D being number 1, but you boys...

Silverking- You can't be my number one because I HAVE NEVER MET YOU! Nor are you an icon big enough for that spot. Read above for more details!

Skewed? What facts have I presented that are false? The balls in your court sir, pony up...

Off to Akron for a show so I may pop in but probably wont have time to devote to this thread for a while, we'll see...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Scott nobody cares if your traveling on the road. If your doing so well buy a laptop. Mine works from Mexico.

I am still waiting to see you define "right wing extreamist" as to how it relates to this.

Put away the hero worship.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
giochi
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of giochi
Dannydoyle why do you keep repeating yourself?
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Scott, best of luck to you and have a Merry Christmas.

The part about your male fan getting your name tatooed on him is a bit creepy (and a bit too much information).
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-12-20 21:26, Scott Xavier wrote:
Sorry kids, while you guys are bashing David, I was out performing corporate holiday shows. I'm glad that such professionals as yourself can find time to visit my myspace and post on this thread. I'll pop in from time to time, but for the next month I'm booked CRAZILY!

I was in Cedar Falls Iowa than went to Kenosha Wisconsin then up to Millwaukee then to Highland park. Being on the road is a little hectick and I appreciate the fact that all of you are following my responses so closely.

Anyways back on topic:


I'm glad for you, but what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
I don't see how any magician could bash David when there is so much to learn from him.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He is a master at getting on TV no doubt. Gotta give him that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2006-12-21 20:27, Alex Linian wrote:
I don't see how any magician could bash David when there is so much to learn from him.

What exactly can we learn as magicians from David Blaine that has anything to do with magic?

I'm not talking about cinematography here, I'm talking about magic.

Before you answer, remember there's magicians out there like Juan Tamariz. "Sonata", "Five Points", "Mnemonica" all revolutionary, powerful, and taught by a true master magician to his fellow magicians.

Now......back to your statement about Blaine "having so much to teach us"...........
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-12-22 00:59, silverking wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-21 20:27, Alex Linian wrote:
I don't see how any magician could bash David when there is so much to learn from him.

What exactly can we learn as magicians from David Blaine that has anything to do with magic?

I'm not talking about cinematography here, I'm talking about magic.

Before you answer, remember there's magicians out there like Juan Tamariz. "Sonata", "Five Points", "Mnemonica" all revolutionary, powerful, and taught by a true master magician to his fellow magicians.

Now......back to your statement about Blaine "having so much to teach us"...........


How about his trademark 1000 yard stare?

Posted: Dec 22, 2006 1:57am
Quote:
On 2006-12-16 14:21, silverking wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-12-12 23:49, expand your consciousness wrote:
Like I said Blaine is the one of best magicians of the modern era.


Good gracious my friend, regardless of whether you're particularly pro-Blaine, or anti-Blaine, one thing that certainly ISN'T true is that he's one of the best magicians of any era.

Simply go to the Magic Castle any day of the week and you'll see real magicians doing magic so far in advance of what Blaine is capable of you'll rush back to your computer to withdraw the statement you've made above.

Blaine is certainly a good magician and a good promoter, but "best" is reserved for those who truly excell.

I would also put forth that to be the "one of the greatest magicians of the modern era" one should at least have a nodding aquaintance with the English language.
I say English because he is an American and it is his first language.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
PLEASE NOTE ALL DEFINITIONS BELOW ARE FROM THE APPLE MAC OPERATING SYSTEM AS SUPPLIED FROM THE OXFORD DICTIONARY AND AS AVAILABLE IN MY LAPTOP!!!

"It is a small man who can only think of one way to spell a word... -Mark Twain"

Ah Danny, I have a G-4 Mac Laptop, but travelling requires just that the forward movement usually through the operation of a vehicle. So as such 3-4 hours a day in a car is a bit much to put into one's life and than expect one to comment on this thread. Not to mention an hour of performing, set up time, GYM time (My new obsession), maintaining my myspace (as this is how fans get ahold of me), and setting up the day to day operations of running a business.

And the words "so well for yourself" isn't quite descriptive enough. I have a long way before I can ask what Blaine does for a show. And the business slows down after January until the college booking season hits again, but thanks for the well wishing or at least the "glad" feelings...

As for Greatness:
"great |gr?t |adjective 1 of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average : the article was of great interest |she showed great potential as an actor. • very large and imposing : a great ocean between them. • [ attrib. ] used to reinforce another adjective of size or extent : a great big grin. • [ attrib. ] used to express surprise, admiration, or contempt, esp. in exclamations : you great oaf! • (also greater) [ attrib. ] used in names of animals or plants that are larger than similar kinds, e.g., great auk, greater flamingo. • ( Greater) [ attrib. ] (of a city) including adjacent urban areas : Greater Cleveland."

GREATS, oh yes David will be remembered and can be known as a great since his name and magic ability is that far greater than most average magicians. His name and product recognition far accels most average or normal magicians hence the word GREAT CAN AND WILL be used. When I worked in the UK, they all knew him. Whteher they liked him or not is another story... The name David Blaine is known in Singapore, Mexico, and Japan where I have also worked and was amused to know that they are also airing his specials.

I cannot speak of the word best above as I did not speak it, but best is often a subjective term. SO lets look at it from a non-subjective point shall we?

"best |best |superlative of good . adjective of the most excellent, effective, or desirable type or quality :"

If we take the word best and apply it to David's life so far than we could say he is of the "best" quality. Effective and desirable are two words that most definately apply to Davids career. 99% would desire what he has. Since we equate success in showbusiness with fame and fortune, than David does have a desirable career. Effective can also be equated to his name recognition and public personae....

Right Wing: as I used Right wing, it was denote the strong sect of magic that seems to be blaine haters and extremeists in their opinions although seldom describe why. Instead they spew fourth hatred even though I have just described above how words like GREAT and BEST can both be used to describe david and his career. And since no one wants to be the oposite of GREAT and BEST since this is our jobs, passions, and skills than I propose that David Blaine is not worthy of such hatred and instead should be studied as a success......

Example one: A wise man once told me: "The only one who will believe in you is you! If you want what I have you have to acheive it.... (THIS IS BADLY PARAPHRASED!) The only one who will make you a success is YOU!

NOW, you know that sounds like some good advice. I wont say who told me those words cause I signed a non-disclosure agreement, but those words are of some good strong advice! Now either you can sit here and debate this with me, or get off your BUTTS and become a success. The choice is yours.

Thanks for the debate, I love to flex my muscles...

Happy Holidays ALL!
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
One of the things David has that most magicians lack is his mysterious character....

This mystery is created because his character is well thought out....

....Most "magician" just entertein and tell jokes that completely ruin any chance of mystery building around them. The humor suggests that what they do does not require any seriousness, and because most of them honestly believe that their technique is what makes them good, everything they do and say suggests that they are just trickters. They ruin the chance for their magic to be something more....

...While most magicians work on how to move a card to a specific location without touching the deck, David goes out on the street and makes a homeless person win the lottery. Which one do you think a lay person cares about more???....

...Also Blaine definately knows how to build anticipation. I cringe everytime I see a good technitian who receives no response after a trick make comments like "Isn't that cool?!" "oooo aaahhh" "just like that!". Another example of not knowing how to build anticipation is doing a stunt after stunt every week on cable....

...But David Blaine character is not just mysterious, it's intriguing. Lay people also don't know what to make of him. Is he a guru? a trickster? magician?. That's because he rarely says anything....

...It's better to say nothing than to Patter about stuff you don't even understand. People can tell. Why do you think so many magicians complaint about their hands being burned all the time? If People can tell that you are just talking S***, lying, they will not actually listen to what you say. I've seen this done by some guy on cable too....

...Because he says nothing, he allows himself to become everything. That is, people who believe in psychics make him a psychic. People who like to just watch magic tricks see him as a magician. People who believe in witchcraft make him out to be a witch. Some people think he's a god. And some are just complainting because their Double Lift is better....

Just thought I'd expose some of Blaine's most guarded secrets for your benefit.

Your welcome in advanced.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2006-12-23 02:33, Alex Linian wrote:
...Because he says nothing, he allows himself to become everything.

I had no idea.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Exactly
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-12-23 13:09, Alex Linian wrote:
Exactly


WOW you guys took double helpings of Kool Aid.

Scott your use of "right wing" is completly wrong. But then it is not a shock.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TheMagicalTurtle
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalTurtle
Throughout this whole topic, all you all have done is shove your opinions into one another's faces. It seems your goals consist of making eachother except, and believe, your own opinions. I don't see anything good coming out of this topic at all.

Just my opinion. You don't have to except it, nor do you have to believe it. Smile

The best,

Cameron
It is no sin to attempt and fail.
The only sin is to not make the attempt.
-Suellen Fried
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Master of the Streets: David Blaine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL