The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » How to make juggling funny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

busterjuggler
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia travelling worldwide now
352 Posts

Profile of busterjuggler
How would you recommend going about making juggling funny? Speech, gag's etc? what would go down best with adulter audiences?

I like displaying skill, which works really well, but what could a juggler do to be different? Ie: not stock lines etc?

James
James BuSTAR
Australia's Comedy Juggling Superstar
info@jamesbustar.com
http://www.jugglingsuperstar.com
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Midget juggling.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Wait, you want to entertain Adulterers?

How about, "Right now I'm going to juggle three women, but I guess you guys know all about that!"

Kapow !

That one goes out to Charles Kuralt!

Banggo!

Take my wives, Please!
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Often, I find humour arises with the interaction with the audience. To be really funny, one must connect with the audience first. You laugh with friends at their lame jokes and gags harder than you would seeing a complete stranger delivering the same lame lines.

A lot of what you will do to be funny is dependant on your personna. You can't do something out of character and expect it to be accepted. It will feel awkward.

I also feel that you shouldn't "try" to be funny. You shouldn't try to force funny. Some people can do it. Others can't. Sometimes it is a natural talent, and other times it is a long process of trial and error.

Don't be afraid to use some stock lines. These can help you develop your own lines. Stock lines are often good to use as an icebreaker. Watch comedians on tv and the internet. Watch how they start their set. A lot will make a comment about their appearance.

For example, if you look at my pic, I might say something like, "Yep, folks. I am the love child of Daddy Warbucks and Sinead O'Conner. Yes genetic are cruel. They can make a man go bald at the age of 21, but it won't do a think about the hair on his back. I didn't loose my air. I know exactly where it went." I lift up my shirt on the back and show my hairy back.

Not stellar material, but it will lighten the mood and show my audience my style of thinking and performing.

If you are looking for lines, some of the best ones come from joking around with friends and also from audience members. Write down what made you laugh, what made them laugh. This is developing material that is yours.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
You want humour and juggling... just watch me try....
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Hahahaha, THAT was funny!
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
There are 3 ways of mixing humour and juggling and you can use one method or a mixture and it can work equally well.

The 3 methods:

1) Seperate. The juggler reels off a whole string of jokes whilst juggling. The jokes have no correlation to the juggling but since they are funny it's really being a comedian with something to do with your hands. There are several artists like this.

2) Related. The gags refer to the props you are using. For example you juggle a rubber chicken and say 'This is poultry in motion!'.

3) Intrinsic. The juggling is presented in a way that will make the audience laugh. The classic example of this is 'donkey juggling'. Sometimes this is humour that needs a set-up line or three and sometimes this is humour through mime. Mime works best with international audiences and with children.

In my adult shows I do none of method 1 and readily mix up the other two methods. One of my favourite jugglers, Steve Rawlings, uses all three. I don't care if my reaction is a laugh or a groan as long as there is a reaction. If I wish to impress my audience with my skills then I lose the humour for a couple of minutes. Also do not worry about laughs per minute in the same way that a comedian will, you are using two skills comedy and juggling, sometimes the juggling will distract from the comedy and the audience will miss gags. If this happens it's because they are impressed by what else you do so will not mind. The problems come if neither the juggling or the comedy are working.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20185 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When people laugh, remember what you did right or wrong, and do it next time.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
In the heat of the moment you can forget your killer line. If I say something that gets a laugh and I think it is something that will work again I sometimes ask a member of the audience to remember it for me. Invariably they do and it seems to get a better response from the audience as a whole and the individual I've asked in particular. Of course this isn't possible in every situation but the situations where it will not work are frequently videoed.

Then I try the line (or sight gag or whatever) in my next performance. Quite often it doesn't work as well but if it does work it stays in the routine. If it doesn't work as well, it goes into the memory banks for the next time the particular situation where it works occurs.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20185 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok how about learning to write comedy in general? That is just crazy enough to work!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
534 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Check out Peter's website.
http://www.petersasso.com

Probably one of the funniest jugglers I know.

He works on Carnival most of the time, but also comedy clubs when he is on shore.
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
thecardtrick
View Profile
New user
Northern NJ
72 Posts

Profile of thecardtrick
Quote:
On 2006-11-13 04:57, busterjuggler wrote:
How would you recommend going about making juggling funny?

Pretend to be struggling, while pretending to not be struggling.

thecardtrick
caught22.com
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
It all depends on if your more of a prop comic or standup comic, (with no props) than decide if you want to write jokes that don't use props, or have your props be the base of a joke.
I know saying having a prop may be a bit controversial but the concept is present.
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
BryanKelly
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of BryanKelly
There are plenty of comedian jugglers out their...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm_38cuDnGg

don't steal original material, but their are standard gags that everyone and their mom uses...perhaps you could add one joke or gag every once and a while to a routine as you perform it in front of a real audience. Eventually you'll have a pretty funny routine that's all your own work. Work them in slowly because experience is the key.

and think of your own too... they will mostly come to mind during performances but also rehearsals as well. When you reherse visuallize your audience, and pretend they are saying things back to you and think what would you say in that situation? Have fun with it. In other words just don't practice the technical aspect of the routine, also practice the PERFORMANCE of the routine (they require two different mind sets)

Good luck...
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
Another piece of advice is to ask other people around you for their input. They might not say anything helpful but in understanding why what they said isn't helpful you can gain insight into making a performance better. (This doesn't just hold for comedy juggling). I regularly talk to other jugglers when practicing and every so often they will see something that I'm doing and make a joke and if it is good enough I'll use it (or the reply I came up with to answer their comment) Perhaps along the lines of 'some people say chicken juggling is ugly but I like to think of it as poultry in motion' (to give my sort of slant on a very old joke).

Nigel

www.itshim.co.uk
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2571 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Your original post seems to be asking, 'how can I be funny'. Well whatever the answer is to that you're not going to find any difinitive answer here or in any book that you read.

Do stuff you find funny, see if your audiences find it funny too.... then you're being funny.

unhelpfully ( but sincerely) yours Neal. Smile
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » How to make juggling funny (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL