The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Boomerang... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darrendarko
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Darrendarko
Ok.. don't laugh. Im reasonably new to this... ;-)

Right.. I have been trying hard to learn the 'Boomerang'.. so I can use it to do reveals.. and Im just wondering.. are Bicycle cards good for this? The reason I ask is that I have been trying really hard last week and at the weekend.. I have the idea ok.. but I just cant get enough 'resistance' in the corner of the card to propell it. (If you know wwhat I mean)?? Im wondering is there a particular brand wheere the cards are 'firmer' or something which makes this easier? Or do I just have to try harder!!! Oh & should I be learing this with a full deck? Any advice appreciated!

Cheers, Darren.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
First of all, what method do you use to "shoot" the card?
bicycle cards are just right. you don't need other cards.
I do the boomerand card utilizing the long distance spinner.
I suggest you look into it. it is easy and very effective.
good luck !

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic has a good section on throwing cards. You should check it out.
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
Batty
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Batty
Practice throwing cards first, then try getting them to come back. You can't go straight into learning how to boomerang a card. And try to throw the card with your wrist.
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
298 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
In order to get more distance and for the card to come back to you, you need to use the right amount of force and backspin. The backspin will firm up the card. Imagine a frisbee. If you throw the card at a slight 45° angle it will come back toward you. Check out Paul Harris AOA Zen and the Art of Boomerrang, or Arrow Split Arrow.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
Darrendarko
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Darrendarko
WOW! You guys are great. Thanks very much for your replies! Matt- I am trying the only method I knoew existed!- its a 3 finger grip round the deck, (all except pinky).. pushing up on the top card with the thumb/thumnail, creating resistance as the corner passes the bottom edge of the third finger...

All I am trying to achieve is to toss the card about 18 inches from my right hand to my left, with a slight ascend. I will see if I can source a demo of the 'Long distance spinner' you mentioned. If the Bicycle cards are good though as you say, I will continue to practice!!

I can perform some good sleights and routines.. I'm really good at the mis-direction aspect which helps in all the tricks I do!.. I just want this boomerang skill to do the 'reveal' now and then.. Its just so cool!!!!

Thanks again everyone- anymore advice please post it.

Darren
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
From your explanation I am guessing you are using something similar to the top shot. I mean the grip resembles the one used for the top shot. doesn't sound like a very comfortable grip.
you can find the long distance spinner in old books like the tarbell course.
you can find it as a download at penguinmagic.com.
gregory wilson also teaches it in his card stunts video. gregory also uses this method for the boomerang card.
good luck Darren!

-Matt
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
For general card flying antics, Gregory Wilson has a great video out (Card Stunts), and I believe there is a DVD called Cards as Weapons which may be worth looking into.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Sorry MAtt, just saw that you recommended that! My bad.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Bikes are perfect for this. Just practice more and after practicing, practice even more a bit and soon you`ll get it right Smile
nikyas
View Profile
Loyal user
Kuala Lumpur
207 Posts

Profile of nikyas
It doesn't matter what kind of cards that you are using. The important thing is to practice.
Batty
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Batty
Quote:
On 2006-11-15 12:41, nikyas wrote:
It doesn't matter what kind of cards that you are using. The important thing is to practice.

I think it does matter. Some cards are definitely better than others, in my opinion. Bikes are the ebst I have found so far.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Of course there are bad quality cards that definetly won't make it possible for you to accomplish this but I guess when we say cards here on the Café we make reference to the top brands.
sjdavison, I have the book called "Cards as Weapons" by Ricky Jay which is a must if you are serious about card throwing. it's out of print though.
didn't know there was a DVD. thanks for bringing it up Smile

-Matt
Trestkon
View Profile
New user
Canada
94 Posts

Profile of Trestkon
I've actually been using another method for quite some time to achieve basically the same effect as the 'Long Distance Spinner'. I honestly can't remember where I picked it up, but it doesn't require any of the thumb strength/finesse that the spinner seems to need.

Basically, hold the lengthwise, your thumb on the bottom right corner and your middle finger on the top right corner. Take your index finger and press down on the top right edge of the top card about an inch or so. Then simply slide your index finger to the right to release the card, causing it to spin up and to the left.

After you have that motion down, you can get the card to go higher by adding in a little 'throw' motion when you release the card. As you release it, move your hand upward to massively increase the distance (easily 6 feet and higher).

And of course, once you have *that* down, do as munkywrench suggested and angle it up at 45% to get it to come back to you.

I've recorded a little instructional video (sans audio) that should help. I think it's kosher to post such a video...if not, I'll take it down immediately.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hemdoPaCPX0
-Larry
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
That looks like the top shot.
I may also be mistaking but I think that is it.

-Matt
Darrendarko
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Darrendarko
Ok... I am pleased to announce that I have sucessfully been boomeraning the cards for about 18 hours now!!! I think Ive beecome addicted..It is just so cool!! I suddenly found that when I relaxed my grip and got the flick of the wrist right.. the cards just started flying! Then after a while I was able to control the power and catch them at in my left hand!!

I am now practicing getting the angles I want- you know like sraight up and down.. or straight across right to left..(with this one I can get a very very fast spin, but maintain good control too).. great for revealing the force card!

Thanks Matt, and all you guys for the replies! I will have to get the card as weapons book.. thanks for thee recommendaton! I will put a clip of my bommerang on youtube later this week.. Only got one clip on there at the moment, and that's of my car! (Ford Capri Slip Diff).

I created (I think) a really good card trick the other day too.. uses an additional card in the deck and 6 cleaver moves. (I know you'll spot all of them)! The great thing is you can carry just a couple of cards on you, then borrow a standard bicycle deck from anyone and easily wwrig it un-noticed! Will film it and stick it on youtube at the weekend too. Thanks again guys.

Darren
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Can't wait to see the clips Darren.
let us know!

-Matt
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I use my telekinetic ability to spin and fly the cards. Took a while, obviously time poorly spent, as it can be dome without telekinetic power.....
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Darrendarko
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Darrendarko
Cheers Matt. Since my last post I have developed my abilities and can now spin the cards with almost no wrist movement whatsoever!! Just the right technique with the thumb and I can control it well.. catching it in the other hand nicely, or spinning it very high straight up then catching it. I am so pleased to have learnt this as it compliments the routines nicely!! Thanks again guys.. will post wheen I have a demo on youtube!!!!
Darrendarko
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Darrendarko
Josh- I think the telekinetik thing and predictions do relly work.. cos when I was learning the card spin.. I frequently predicted to my mate that I would drop all 52 cards, scattering them over a wide area of the room... and do you knoww.. everytime I was right.. S C A R Y ! ! ! !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Boomerang... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL