The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Christmas season pitching (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Hey Guys,
Its Christmas pitching season.The Svengali decks and worms make good stocking stuffers.The size and price is right for this.So if you bought my DVD and haven't gone out,now is the time to give it a go.People are a lot more loose with their money this time of the year.Besides I'm sure you could use some extra Christmas spending money.

I always decorate my joint with Christmas stuff.But don't over do it.I also put two Christmas stockings on each end of the top.I stuff them with paper and than have a deck and worm hanging out of each one.I take the cards out of the pack and just use an empty pack so its not too heavy to stick out of the top without falling.Be sure to say,several times,in your pitch "they make great stocking stuffers" and than point to your two stocking you have up.

Just passing on some ideas for Christmas pitching.

All the best to guys.
Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks, Don, for the seasonal suggestions!

I have already worked a few Harvest Festivals and Xmas Craft Shows this year, and am finding that people do pick these up for stocking stuffers.

Don's suggestion about the worm is also a good one. For kids that are a little too young to handle the Svengali Deck, the worm makes a great alternative. I have also found that lots of parents remember having a "Magic Wigglee" or "Squirmel" when they were kids, and now they want to buy one for their own children.

The worm attracts LOTS of attention when you demo it, and is a big help in building a crowd, it really stops people right in their tracks. Afterwards you can go right into the Svengali Pitch and you already have the crowd there.

Thanks again, Don, for preserving and keeping these great pitches alive for a new generation. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Hey Don....SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Just kidding!
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hi Folks!
I realize this is an old post, but the 2008 Christmas Pitching Season is just around the corner. Don and Seth have some great ideas on these posts, but was wondering if anyone is pitching in malls or large dept. stores? Is the space rent out of the question for Malls? Are you pitching Indoor Christmas Bazaars, etc? Where are good places to pitch Svengali cards and Worms at Christmas time? , with decent space rent.?

ROD
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Rod, I have often thought about getting into a mall. Some of them will rent out a portable stand in the middle of the walkway, which seems like a perfect setup. I believe that back in the day, many large department stores had a magic pitch set up -- I think Johnny Giordmaine and more than a few other folks got started that way.

If you could do it on a one-shot basis or perhaps for one weekend at a time, the risk would be pretty low -- it's not like taking out a yearly lease or something, and there'd be essentially no setup costs. It's also nice not to have to worry about the weather -- not only does it NOT rain in malls, the malls just get busier when it does rain! I have no idea what the cost might be for something like this, but would be interested to see if anyone has explored it.

I have already booked three Xmas bazaars (one church, one school, one fire house) in my area, even though it's only September. These shows tend to fill up pretty fast, in my experience, so you have to move quickly to get in. I'd watch the local weekly newspapers for such announcements, and then pounce -- and don't forget about Channukah, too.

High schools, fire houses and churches seem to be the prime candidates for these things, and usually they are pretty reasonable on the table fees. Also the Xmas bazaars tend to feature more crafters and retailers, as opposed to the usual flea market stuff, and people are in more of a buying mood. It's generally well worth your time, in my experience. SETH
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Seth:
Thanks for your valuable information on pitching at Christmas. I really appreaciate your time on these posts, you are always a big help, Thanks again. And good luck this weekend in the Jersey area with Hannah blowing in, looks like you might have to add another weight or two to the EZ UP ha ha We got heavy rain up here in Michigan with the remanants of Gustov , but no wind.
See You Down The Road!
ROD
chefmagic
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of chefmagic
Seth, I looked into leasing a booth from local mall and was shocked to say the least that they wanted $15000.00 - $20000.00 for November & December. That is insane.
Mike

Magic Legacy - Low prices on great magic!
www.magiclegacy.net
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Well, let's see -- that's a minimum of $7500 a month, which is $250 a day. While that might be remotely possible on a busy weekend during Xmas season, it sure would be a heck of nut on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, even in season. And then you probably have to spend another $100-200 for a mercantile license on top of that.

Nope, at those prices, they can keep that booth themselves, at least as far as I'm concerned!

I wonder what the rent would be off-season? I didn't necessarily think that the Xmas season was the only good time for this. SETH
chefmagic
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of chefmagic
The rest of the year I was told was anywhere from $1000 - $1500 a month. Still a lot if you ask me.
Mike

www.magiclegacy.net
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Well, that works out to about $50 a day, maximum, which is certainly more doable.

But the problem is the monthly rental -- unless you are at Disney World or a similar place, nobody is going to pitch Svengali Decks and Magic Worms on a daily basis.

This is really a weekend-type proposition, in my opinion, and since we are only talking about a portable cart, the malls should be more flexible about possible short-term uses. After all, we aren't Sears or J.C. Penney! SETH
chefmagic
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of chefmagic
The mall told me they get about a 2 million and a half people through during this time> I have checked with other smaller malls in the area and they want anywhere From $2400. - $3500 amonth for Nov. - Dec. This mall only gets about 2 1/2 million a year. They wont come up with just a weakend rate. They don't care. I even tried to explain about the free entertainment for his customers. You also have to use their carts do to fire regulations I'm told. It just seems a lot of money considering only about 1 of every 100 people will have any interest in the cards or any kind of magic at all.
Mike

www.magiclegacy.net
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Looks like there won't be any Svengali pitches at that mall for a LONG time!

No problem, there are plenty of other places that aren't quite so pigheaded. SETH
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
773 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Just a question from someone with no experience (yet) in pitching...anyone tried pitching in a AIRPORT? TRAIN STATION? BUS STATION? ....i think too many people coming and going and in a rush could be a bad thing...

Junior
J Rodriguez
Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
214 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
I once saw a small magic booth in Newark airport. They were selling Rocco's products (d'lites, LMS, Svengali, stripper). They weren't pitching so to speak but I think they were making good business.
I just checked on the Newark Airport website and the shop doesn't seem to be listed anymore. It was called "the Magic Zone" I think. Something like that... looks like they closed :-P
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
It was the Magic Zone and they were is several airports.Good spot.Bus stations aren't any good.No sure about train stations.

Later,Don
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I can see an airport being a good place to pitch, I would certainly buy my something to play around with during the flight.

However, security may limit what you can sell if plan on selling a wider range of stuff rather than just svegnali's.
-Matt
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
773 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
I remember magic zone in WillowBrook Mall in New Jersey...a buddy of mine worked for them...he worked off comission and made really good money working there...i wonder what happened???maybe its just a christmas thing for them...

Junior
J Rodriguez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Christmas season pitching (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL