The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » One Liners (post all here) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
Neal,

I think you're talking sense. I've yet to listen to a comic and think that he had 100% original material. I've yet to watch a magician and think the same. Maybe the magician/comic thinks that they are original but as good ideas repeat and are limited they are undoubtably wrong. So what makes a good act is approach, character development, use of appropriate material etc etc. If everything they use is borrowed then it will not work for them.

Nigel

*insert good one-liner here*
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
Agent86
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Agent86
Sleight of Mouth , and the one liner collection by Aldo Columbini is pricless. You'll have more than you can handle. Also Gazzo's read between the one lines, is by far some of the funniest **it out there.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Neal just because "most" of anyone is anything does not mean you have to be.

Oh and MOST comics I know are not hacks.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I can't think of any SUCCESSFUL comics that are hacks. But oddly, most amateur comics are. Is there a correlation?

I love when people say that they are flattered, or don't mind, if someone uses their material. Just wait until you try to get a booking and the hack is doing your exact same show at a third the price. Or, you try to book a cruise ship and are told that they won't hire you because they just got a promo dvd of the hack doing the exact same bits, so that means you must be copying THEM. Then we will see how flattered you are.
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
Here are some of my favs. If they are not mine own, they are properly credited:

From me:
--Hey that was cool!
"They don't pay me for nothing."
and the extension:
"I wish they paid me for nothing..."

If someone says they know how you did something:
"Okay, how?"
-- they explain --
"Go ahead and run with that theory."
or
"Keep telling yourself that."
or, from The Psychiatrist:
"and how does that make you feel?"

My favorite Harry Blackstone Jr., lines:
"Nono, your clean hand."
"Crawl up on the furniture, just like you would at home"
"Hello little tiny person."
"Did you hear that man? He said 'Up your sleeve!' ... You did say 'sleeve,' didn't you, sir?"

Favorites from the Amazing Johnathan:
"Sometimes magic sounds like duct tape."
"Wow, look at all that money. It'd be so easy to jump you on the way to your car...BANG done! Free money. Right?"

Favorites from Ron D. Wilson:
"I'm just serious. Don't take me the way I meant that."
(Said like, "I'm just kidding! Don't take that the way it sounded")
When something is dropped by a spectator:
"It's okay, just put that down there."

My uncle:
"I guess they don't make turn signals on that model pickup."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-12-28 09:35, Christopher wrote:
I can't think of any SUCCESSFUL comics that are hacks. But oddly, most amateur comics are. Is there a correlation?

I love when people say that they are flattered, or don't mind, if someone uses their material. Just wait until you try to get a booking and the hack is doing your exact same show at a third the price. Or, you try to book a cruise ship and are told that they won't hire you because they just got a promo dvd of the hack doing the exact same bits, so that means you must be copying THEM. Then we will see how flattered you are.

The words of a true professional, who has been victimised by the "hacks".

Glad someone other than me sees this.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2578 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I can't think of any SUCCESSFUL magicians that are hacks. But oddly, most amateur magicians are. Is there a correlation?

Yes,.... the same one that applies to comics. viz: The chaff thankfully gets winnowed out so ultimately there's no real need to stress about it. Smile

Christopher wrote:"Just wait until you try to get a booking and the hack is doing your exact same show at a third the price."

I once turned up at a venue and had one of the resident entertainments staff go weak legged and faint as I walked through the door. "What's the matter?" I asked of my green gilled 'friend', who I'd worked with and hung out with the year before.... " I've just done 20 mins of your act." he replied.

Guess what.... He's not in the entertainment business anymore... well there's a surprise...... So believe me I've seen them come and go. As I said, the chaff gets sorted out and thankfully fades away.

I think I should make it clear that like Christopher and Danny I find it hard to see any merit in posting material that isn't your own to post, but ultimately I just don't think it matters that much to anyone if a bunch of people (consisting of, I suspect, 99% non performers) post lines that they've heard or read (or even written themselves) for eachother.

And as I'm aware that this thread has been side tracked, all be it due to it's rather dodgy nature, let me rather ironically contribute a slightly altered quote from Penn Jillette: "it's not like they're killing babies".

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
SteveTheMagician
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of SteveTheMagician
I poured spot remover on my dog and now he's gone.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I knew a guy who spilled Raid in his lap and his fly died.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Daniel Faith
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Why must every performing magician be a writer? And at that, a comic writer? It just does not make sense. A magician, unless gifted, writing his/her own jokes in lieu of trying out others is destined to fail. We are not all Bill Shakespeares....and we should not have to be.

Food for thought...I have friends who make buttloads of money playing other people's songs.

Jokes are jokes...

(possibly playing devil's advocate here, but I pretty much believe this)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I personally know many musicians who make butloads of money using others songs also. They pay for the privelage of using them. They don't find them listed on an internet chat site and then just take.

as it works out the guy actually doing the writing is making money. You make a fantastic point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Where I am from...we do not have much of an original music scene.

The most popular bands are strictly cover bands.

The biggest bars in the state....only book cover bands.

The highest paid bands....are cover bands. (Original bands would be lucky to get a few free drinks and in most cases have to pay to play decent venues)

There are at least 15 of the 20 or so "regular" bands.....who have pretty much the exact same set list! And they have had the same set list for years.

Guess what. These bands don't pay for anything. Not even books of sheet music.
Is it right....maybe not. But your darn tootin it works.

Maybe the bars pay BMI or ASCAP or something, but I wouldnt be surprised if they didn't
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Knowing what I do about those 2 orginizations, I would be SHOCKED if they didn't pay.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Youre right...but on the same token, most places have to pay to even play the radio in their establishment.
I wonder...does this cover live music.

But back to the subject at hand...is it really a crime to rip off a line or two...
especially when some people make a very nice living as complete copycats.
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
When I was younger, I wanted to be a comedian, but I was afraid everyone would laugh at me.

One mind-reader said to the other, "You're fine, how am I?"

;)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-06-29 00:52, toomuchmagic wrote:
Youre right...but on the same token, most places have to pay to even play the radio in their establishment.

But back to the subject at hand...is it really a crime to rip off a line or two...

Wait, you are asking if it is a crime to steal, because others steal?

Is it a crime to steal someones money, when others make a great living stealing?

Are YOU SERIOUS?

This place scares the crap out of me some days.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
It's absolutely true that cover bands make more money than original bands. And, as somebody here reminded me very recently, it is the venue which pays the fees. Therefore, as long as the band isn't distributing copies of the performance, they don't need to pay anything for the right to perform the songs.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A good cover band makes more money. A good original band makes money as well. The key is to be a good band.

You are completly right about the fees. It is the establishment which gets shut down and dosn't sell drinks, do you think they let the band worry about the fees? I doubt it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Quote:
On 2007-06-29 09:47, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-29 00:52, toomuchmagic wrote:

Wait, you are asking if it is a crime to steal, because others steal?

Is it a crime to steal someones money, when others make a great living stealing?

Are YOU SERIOUS?

This place scares the crap out of me some days.

Apples and oranges...

exceeding the speed limit is a crime too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » One Liners (post all here) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL