The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Simple Switch by Paul Harris (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
This is just a short clip of the Simple Switch that I made for some friends.
thought I'd share it with all my friends Smile
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did practicing Smile
here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaCbmiN3nMI

-Matt

p.s. sorry for the quality...webcam
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
I like the reinforced misleading explanation at the end Smile

Derek Merdinyan
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Matt Malinas,
Nice job!

The ending was killer.

~John
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Thank you. like I said it is a clip I shot for some friends.
laymen, so I thought that would be an appropriate ending.

-Matt
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
That's great!
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
It looks really good...how long did it took untill you got it so good looking?
weeks?months?years? hehe
greetings Jerry
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Jerry to be honest it took me about a week of practice.
a few hours every day. it is actually not that hard to pull off once you get the hang of it

-Matt
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Jerry I just saw you were from germany...also vielen dank! Smile

-Matt
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
Ohh so you speak german? Smile
ive tried the normal instant replay move and it worked some times after practicing.
but this double action where the other card jumps from the deck in your right hand....uhhh that will take a bit more deep instructions as I could get from the presentation video.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Well, I learned it from AoA volume 3 by Paul Harris.
I do it a little different than he teaches it. for example, to shoot the card from the deck he suggests outjogging it a little first so you can get your forefinger underneath it. I use a bubble peek instead. I find it to be more practical and a little easier.
it took a few days of experimentation and careful consideration of the hand placement until I got it down.
about the german, ye4s I studied in school and travelled a lot to germany. I have many friends there. maybe we'll session sometime, you never know Smile
good luck with the simple switch Jerry!

-Matt
Wards Back
View Profile
New user
Baker's Acres, Ca
83 Posts

Profile of Wards Back
Matt,

Impressive performance!

Coincidentally, I tried 'Instant Replay' for the first time a couple days ago: after about a half-hour, I decided I really didn't want to invest the time it seemed would be required to perfect 'A Simple Switch' (I envisioned MONTHS of practice). However, I am heartened by your success in a (relatively) short time; congratulations!

Just a few questions:

1) Are you able to make the switch CONSISTENTLY, or does it work only 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, (etc.) of the time?

2) Did you start by perfecting 'Instant Replay' (card from deck to hand, and then back again), or did you work on the simultaneous transfer from the beginning?

3) Am I correct in asuming that the transfer from hand to deck is the easier of the two?

4) I realize that I have only just begun to work on this, but I've had the most trouble in controlling the direction of flight of the card from the deck. Did switching to the bubble peek help correct this?

5) P.H. describes the card leaving the hand as doing a DOUBLE flip. Your video seems to show both cards doing only a single rotation. Is this correct? If so, did you ever try the double rotation? Which did you find easier?

Once again, well done!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Smile

Chris.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Well wards back, I didn't learn the simple switch to use it as a simple switch.
it is just a display o skill that I really liked and it really impressed me when I first saw it. that is why I decided to invest the necessary time.
I will try and answer your questions in order as good as I can.
I do not hit the switch 100% of the time. I am still working on that. I tried it now as an experiment. I hit it more or less 9 out of 10 times.
yes, I started with instant replay. I suggest this to anyone who is planning on learning the simple switch. it makes things easier.
I find the transfer from deck to hand to be easier. but I guess this varies from person to person.
switching to bubble peek didn't correct the trajectory. that comes with a lot of practice. I switched to the bubble peek because I find it to be easier and because it looks better and the get ready is faster than with Harris' method.
about the flips...the cards do double flips just like Harris teaches it. I shot the clip with a webcam and there are not very many frames per second and I guess that is why it is hard to see the flips.
thank you for the feedback and I hope that my answers were what you were looking for.
all the best

-Matt
Wards Back
View Profile
New user
Baker's Acres, Ca
83 Posts

Profile of Wards Back
Matt,

Thank you, your answers have been most helpful.

I am most impressed by your ability to hit the switch 90% of the time after just a week of intense practice. Good job!

Well, I'm off to practice; guess I'll be back in a couple months...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Smile

Chris.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Hey I wish you good luck.
I am glad to hear that you decided to invest time in the simple switch.
thank you again for the feedback.

-Matt
Powell
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Powell
Okay, I've been working on this for about 10 mins a day for three and a half MONTHS, and I still don't get the simple switch more than about one out of every four times. Gahhhhhhh!
Today I'm going to put three hours in. I want this GD flourish, GD it! It's part of a Magnetic Card routine I've been putting together, and I'm going to get it, if it's the last thing I do. I guess it's like Paul Harris says, "Practice till your fingers bleed. Then put on band-aids, and practice till the band-
aids bleed!"
"A card is not a brick."
- Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Simple Switch by Paul Harris (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL