We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Jay Sankey's Assassin's Pouch (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
I think I may get it. It is cheap and will get the job done. I'll share my thoughts if and when it arrives.
Tarbell!
mindpirate
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
186 Posts

Profile of mindpirate
I just got one and the center pouch is large enough to hold a few things but I feel like the front pouches are too small to hold more than a couple of coins or maybe Sankey's 3 ring circus. The TT holster is nice as is the Sharpe pouch. I wonder if maybe a similar sized camera bag would do the same thing and maybe hold more.

Yes it's a fanny pack.
~MindPirate~
www.magicianschoice.net
www.magicofben.com

It can not be...and yet...it can
- Tommy Wonder
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
471 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
I just got the Assassin Pouch yesterday and I like it but have a couple criticisms.

First, I can't believe they didn't make this just slightly bigger as I have a couple packet tricks that I like to carry around and a standard black packet case doesn't fit as they are a little to tall. I guess I could just put the cards in alone but I really wanted to use the packet cases to keep them organized. I also wish the sharpie holder side would hold the markter a little tighter.

Other than those couple criticisms, this is a nice little pouch.

Marc
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
273 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
On 2007-01-23 14:31, gobrownstd54 wrote:
First, I can't believe they didn't make this just slightly bigger as I have a couple packet tricks that I like to carry around and a standard black packet case doesn't fit as they are a little to tall.

Agreed 100%. I am now on the lookout for envelopes the size of the one included with Entourage if they exist. They fit nicely, even with two decks also in the AP. No luck finding them however. I'll let you know if I find a source.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
273 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
I am now on the lookout for envelopes the size of the one included with Entourage if they exist. They fit nicely, even with two decks also in the AP. No luck finding them however. I'll let you know if I find a source.

Tony Curtis has Assassin's Pouch-friendly envelopes, see his post here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=113

- David Robinson
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
273 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Here is another review on this item

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4872099

- David Robinson
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
273 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
As pictured, the IT opening is towards the rear of the pouch is it not? That seems backwards to me since you will be doing your IT work with the IT in front of you.

Try the pouch on the left side. Which hand you typically vanish coins from is a factor for placement, as a stated feature of the Pouch is the magnetized bottom.

Speaking of which, has anyone actualy located this 'hidden shelf' for the magnet Jay references in his preview video?

Thanks,
Dave

- David Robinson
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Does anyone comment about you guys having a big bag on your hip? For me it seems out of place to wear this item. I guess this would be great for performing on the street. I just can't see wearing this at a walk around gig.

I am now working on the first, Magicians Back Pack! Yes, a back pack like the kids wear to school. You can really put your stuff in it. You can load up your magic stuff and still have room for your lunch, car keys, and head twister! ANYWAY, I just think it looks bad having a bag hanging from your person.

If people are bend on having a bag on their hip why not go all the way. Have the bag made larger and not only have it hook to your belt but also use a leg strap that goes around your upper leg? This way the bag is really a good size and secured to your person with two hook up points.

What about wearing a Man Bag? You could really put stuff in that.

Best
Ray
EvanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of EvanTheMagicMan
Just a question, this may sound stupid, but with the magnet at the botom of the pouch how excactly do you make a steel coin vanish?
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
273 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
Just a question, this may sound stupid, but with the magnet at the botom of the pouch how excactly do you make a steel coin vanish?

The vanish is from the audience perspective only.

- David Robinson
magicnorm
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Sounds and looks interesting, but still not sold on the look with classy dress.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 11:37, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Does anyone comment about you guys having a big bag on your hip? For me it seems out of place to wear this item. I guess this would be great for performing on the street. I just can't see wearing this at a walk around gig.bn

It's under my jacket, so it's out of site.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
273 Posts

Profile of dbolan
For your consideration - Starbucks 'After Coffee Chewing Gum' tins sold in their coffee shops fit perfectly in the Thumb Tip/ITR area of the Assassin's Pouch. Just grabbed one.

I can't think of what to put in there now that I have the tin and the Pouch...but had to grab it while I saw it.

Let me know if you have ideas. Color-chaning knives fit in the tin but already travel in the Sharpie holder of my pouch.

Dave

- David Robinson
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
515 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2007-01-23 14:31, gobrownstd54 wrote:
I just got the Assassin Pouch yesterday and I like it but have a couple criticisms.

First, I can't believe they didn't make this just slightly bigger as I have a couple packet tricks that I like to carry around and a standard black packet case doesn't fit as they are a little to tall. I guess I could just put the cards in alone but I really wanted to use the packet cases to keep them organized. I also wish the sharpie holder side would hold the markter a little tighter.

Other than those couple criticisms, this is a nice little pouch.

Marc

I agree with you on the size in regards to the packet tricks. I crammed a packet trick in there with a deck of cards; but it made removing and replacing anything in the pouch less than smooth. One day out with it setup like that and I changed it. It could be a smidge wider and a couple of smidges taller.

The dye on my TT still ticks me off. And I would like the two pockets on the front to be big enough to hold something other than a couple of coins.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
515 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 06:01, dbolan wrote:

...a stated feature of the Pouch is the magnetized bottom.

Speaking of which, has anyone actualy located this 'hidden shelf' for the magnet Jay references in his preview video?

Thanks,
Dave

Actually, there's no "shelf." The bottom is sewn in such a manner that if the pouch is crammed full on the bottom and out on the sides, it will be flat, rather than all pokey-outy. (Sorry for the technical term!) You then place a strong magent on the bottom of the inside of the pouch and you have a flat, magnetic surface to which you can 'vanish' various appropriate items. ...But there's no shelf or secret compartment for the magnet.

...And I think they could've put a little pocket on the inside that you can slide the magnet into. I've thrown a couple of other items into the pouch that were either metal or had metal on them and the magnet stuck to them, rather than stayed at the bottom of the pouch. It's a good idea, but so far, it has not proved to be practical for me. I wear my Black's PK ring and, if necessary, I can just drop it in the pouch. I've stopped carrying a magnet as part of the pouch's items.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
515 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Rather than a pouch or a back pack or a fanny pack, you know what would be cool? A magic bandolier!
Pockets that strap across your torso where you can have it behind you or in front of you. Pockets for cards, pockets for Hot Rods and/or paddle tricks. Pockets for TTs. Places for pens, markers, magnets, lighters and other various items used in conjunction with illusions.

You could strap it across your torso - front or back. You could hang it casual over either shoulder. You could carry it around. ...With the right type of strap, you might even be able to adjust it to where it can be worn as a belt/fanny pack.

More room than a fanny pack. No need to bulk up your pockets. Lighter and less bulky than a back pack.

Someone get right on that, will you? ...And give me a huge discount for steering you in the right direction, huh?
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
273 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Bendy - it is good to see there is someone out there that wants to love the Assassin's Pouch as much as I want to love the Assassin's Pouch.

Too bad it isn't a more mainstream (usability beyiond magic) item or we might see an improved second edition in the future. But I don't think that is in the cards...

Ditto on all your concerns. Not only did I get black dye on a D-Lite but I lost it when I left it on my magic dealer's counter when I in was passing on the dye concern to him so he could pass it on to Jay, who was due there a week later.

But I do love wearing the flawed Pouch a few times a week...the utility far outweights the flaws IMHO.

Dave

- David Robinson
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6988 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2007-01-22 16:34, mindpirate wrote:...- > snip < -...I wonder if maybe a similar sized camera bag would do the same thing and maybe hold more...

Brilliant, MindPirate!!!

I was concerned about the cotton construction, and the post about it falling apart.

Plus, my girlfriend's daughter made a rather rude comment about me looking "FAGGY" with a fanny pack on my belt. I used to wear one for YEARS, and never knew that people were laughing at me! Sheesh!

Now, I went and grabbed my camera bag...I hardly EVER use the camera, so I emptied it out, and WOW!!!! This makes a GREAT "Assassin's Pouch"! All KINDS of pockets and places to put stuff! Even a pocket for my TT! And NO stains, LOL!

Thanks, MindPirate!

Doug
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
273 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
Now, I went and grabbed my camera bag...I hardly EVER use the camera, so I emptied it out, and WOW!!!! This makes a GREAT "Assassin's Pouch"! All KINDS of pockets and places to put stuff! Even a pocket for my TT! And NO stains, LOL!

I went to Wal-Mart to look at carry bags - and it is remarkable what's there. Bags intended for memory cards to cell phones to digital cameras to camcorders to SLR cameras to DVD players and on and on. Useless stuff as cheap as $2.74...

- David Robinson
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
In case anyone is interested, here's a link to the pouch I designed
several months ago. There's a 2 pocket model, and an ultra-slim one pocket model.
Both have flat pockets for a lot of utility items. I hope you like it.
They were designed to be worn unnoticed under a jacket to avoid the "fanny pack" look but obviously you can wear it in plain view.

For those of you that have a carl andrews pocket pocket or a klamm pocket organizer, you can use them inside the pouch to organize knives, etc.

if you have any questions, please let me know.

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aItem.cfm?itemid=64
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Jay Sankey's Assassin's Pouch (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL