The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Working Renaissance Festivals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
After attending my first Renaissance Festival I decided that I would like to perform in this atmosphere. I looked around for material to this end and came upon these two works:
"How to Work as a Renaissance Festival Magician" by Bill Palmer, M.I.M.C. and
"Lord of Legerdemain: The Renaissance Magick of MarcoM The Mountebank",
both from AdessoVerlag.com

Quickly after a fast read through it was painfully obvious that this purchase was a great idea. Now that I have had time to digest the material; the bits of business and the who-what-when-where-why on getting the job, I know that these will be paramount to success. Two solid works by men that have the best credentials, those that have done it successfully for many years.

I've been studying Magic performance seriously for a little over two years now and find the bits of business comfortably within my grasp. That is to say that understanding the how and why was not difficult for me. Time will be needed to perfect the "tricks" (no I don't like that word but it does convey the idea), but I'm one that believes much practice goes before perfect performance.

I'm comfortable saying that this is original material, straight from the horse's mouth. There well may be other works out there on this subject, but between these two I feel sufficiently armored to do battle with the masses and them that employ those who do.

"How to Work as a Renaissance Festival Magician" teaches the ins and outs of getting the gig, how to dress effectively, getting on well with the troupe, as well as what to perform and how to be an effective dollar extractor, i.e. GTFM. Of the two works this one would be of the most value to someone who knows squat about working a Ren Fest. Anyone looking to work outside would also benefit from the goodies within.

"Lord of Legerdemain: The Renaissance Magick of MarcoM The Mountebank" is a breakdown of the material performed by MarcoM. Written in the language spoken at a Ren Fest including Spanish versions of Professors Nightmare, Serpentine Silk, and The Linking Rings. Three complete acts from opening to closing, and a fourth opening followed by a few more "tricks"(there's that word again) and pages of clever banter to use while pressing the flesh with those destined to fill your hat. Again, anyone working outside would be smart to get this material.

The value of these two books to anyone serious about working a Ren Fest is gi-normous (that's a large number). Well written and easily understood, the cost of the pair would be offset in a days work easy. Both are available through AdessoVerlag.com

Today I learned that the auditions for the coming season are much earlier than I thought they would be and quickly approaching. By this time next year I will be the wandering Conjurer forming in my head. Proper in speak, attire, mannerisms, accouterments, and well prepared to lighten the pocketbooks of those who gather 'round to witness the Magic that is all around us.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24298 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thank you for the kind words about these two books. MarcoM and I worked together at Scarborough Faire for 13 years, and MarcoM worked at TRF with me for a couple of years, as well.

I publish both of these books. I felt that now that I have basically retired from the circuit, the things I had learned over 26 years of performing needed to be shared with those who want to learn the craft.

Good luck with your work at festivals!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

This is an unsolicited testimonial. If you haven't worked renfests and are interested in building a base of knowledge, you can't beat these two books for the information or the price. Like Bill's advise here, the information contained in his book is spot on, and, if you're an entertainer, follow his advise, you should be able to pay for both with your first hat.

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses

PS. Bill, glad you stuck around! j
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Working Renaissance Festivals (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL