The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Tod Browning Escape Artist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I was watching "Freaks" last night and the guy who did the lead-in for the movie said that Tod Browning was an escape artist before working in Hollywood. He said it may or may not be true, since the info may have come from Browning or the studio. Did anyone ever hear Browning being an escape artist?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I hope this helps you out. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0115218/
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Don,

Thanks. Nothing there on his escape work.

Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Something Might be there could he of done anything in the movies he starred in.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I don't think anyone knows what he did in his movies. Most of them that he acted in, 40-50 of them, are pre-1916. They most likely don't exist anymore.

Thanks,
Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
As a former film major in college I can tell you that Todd Browning was a sideshow and magic kinda guy. He had an extravagant imagination and saw everything in terms of how it could be exploited like a sideshow banner artwork. The original movie art to his films will bear this out, as well as most of the subject matter.
I had not ever heard that he was an escape artist specifically but there are many stories of his "odd-bizarre" times as a novelty entertainer prior to getting involved in film work.
To me Todd Browning is the element of the American success story that has to do with being the right person in the right place at the right time. I do think it would be interesting if he were still around to make films! What wonderful and bizzare things he could create today.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
IF you are really interested in his strange story...there is a bio book, it took me a couple days to locate it:

Dark Carnival: The Secret World of Tod Browning, Hollywood's Master of the Macabre

I don't know the authors name. Browning's life was a wild ride for sure.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Thanks for the info. I was just intersted in the escape end. He was an interesting guy.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Tod Browning Escape Artist (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL