The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Phantom or Ghost Tube Origins? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I'm drawing a blank on researching the origin of the Phantom Tube (sometimes called the Ghost Tube), and it's variation called the Genii Tube (or, as manufactured by Owen's, the Satanic Tube). I know that Chang was using a Genii Tube as early as 1913, but there's where the trail turns cold. Any clues will be appreciated.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
The Idea for a tapered compartment within a tube is revealed in "More Magic" under the heading of the "wine and water trick". This is indeed a liquid effect but by the illustration you can see where other ideas may have sprang up for its modification for other use.

An interesting Idea that involved silk production is labeled "Conradi's Multiplying Tube" and is in "Later Magic". Both of these effects were made to fool the spectator into thinking they have seen empty tubes.

Mark
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Good sleuthing, Mark! The Ghost Tube principle is indeed used in a most interesting way in the 1889 "Wind and Water Trick Improved" that you located in "More Magic." Hoffmann describes it as if is a new principle that was unknown to him when he first penned "Modern Magic" in 1876, so that narrows down the date to be between 1876 and 1889. He describes it as having been "discovered" in the shop of a "Mr. Bland." That may help someone to further track down the inventor.

The tube described in "Later Magic" uses the Mirror Principle, but I don't think it is the first time that principle was described in print. It seems to me that principle is much older.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Phantom or Ghost Tube Origins? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL