The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Some tips of Street Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mágico Felipe Barbieri
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Mágico Felipe Barbieri
Helo, all good? Good, I go to try to divide with you a little of what I know on street magic 1 - Never asks for the person if it wants, or if it would like to see a magic, many times it can say not, this can be a little flat. 2 - It does not risk to make magicians whom they need angle, when will be encircled with people, this can bad its magic, only makes will very well have been trained and without fear of you make it 3 - When it will be making its magic and some person to be trying to discover its trick, tries to stop to make the magics, look in the eyes of it and to say well:
_Can I to continue? Or then skirt from there, and goes to make magics for one another group, leaving clearly that you it left from there because of Good it, if to remember to me more things I come back to write here, bye!!!
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Well, I didn't understand many parts of your post but you should consider doing a search on the Café before posting something like this.
this is a topic that has been discussed several times before.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
This is what I love about magic. It crosses all boundaries... except for language. Smile

Let's see if I can put it into English for those of us who are handicapped by only knowing one language:

Greetings! I hope you are well. I'd like to share with you what I've learned about street magic.

1) Never ask the person if they want to see magic. That gives them the excuse to say "No" and that's not good.

2) Watch your angles. It can be bad for you when you are surrounded by people.

3) Don't let the hecklers or "secret seekers" get to you. It's better just to stop the show, make eye contact with them, and then ask "May I continue now?" Or simply stop the show and start up again with a new group of people.

____

Does this help?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Well if you not going to ask them, don't try and do magic to someone who is very religious, or is grieving, or worried about something. Because the last thing they want to see is a cheesy magic trick.

Wait a minute, does that mean I have to ask them what there religious views are instead?

Don't be an idiot, ask them first. If you ask nicely and approach people without sounding like an insurance salesman, they will be a happy to be entertained. Only when you storm them and demand that they listen do they say no.

ku7uk
bond_jmesbond007
View Profile
New user
India
70 Posts

Profile of bond_jmesbond007
Quote:
On 2006-11-21 18:58, ku7uk3 wrote:
Well if you not going to ask them, don't try and do magic to someone who is very religious, or is grieving, or worried about something. Because the last thing they want to see is a cheesy magic trick.

Wait a minute, does that mean I have to ask them what there religious views are instead?

Don't be an idiot, ask them first. If you ask nicely and approach people without sounding like an insurance salesman, they will be a happy to be entertained. Only when you storm them and demand that they listen do they say no.

ku7uk

I am not very convinced with your approach. You will get strange reactions when you go to people with questions like "Are you religious?". It also depends on what your objective is, getting strange reactions by performing magic or just getting strange reactions. If the latter is the objective then just ask them strange questions and you ll get strange reactions.

Coming to the point about rushing them or demanding to be heard, here is what you can do... Walk up to a potential spectator and greet him with a smile and a 'hi'. This works perfectly well in most of the scenarios. Sometimes they will not respond to you with a smile but you continue with a smile and tell them that you would require them to volunteer for something mysterious or anything like that.... It works most of the time.

And last, but not the least, always remeber that it is all based on "Law of Averages". Meet more people to make more money and in our case, approach more strangers to perform more. Keep in mind that all the people you will approach will not oblige in seeing what you are showing even if you were to tell them that you are showing "God" to them. So don't get dissappointed and work on yourself and see what works best for you and make notes of the same and then review them frequently and it ll make you a better magician.

My 2 cents.....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Dave you indeed helped to "clarify things". The only problem is that you kind of "clarified" his inexperience.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I did, didn't I? At least now that we know what he's saying, we can offer to help.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
I think that he simply posted in the wrong forum. The right one was "Puzzle" one, and the enigma is understanding what was he actually trying to say.
Anyway, I think that you always have to be kind also with people who are spoiling your show, letting them know in a nice way that they are ruining the show to everyone else in teh group, but without being too hard with them.

Dave
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
I applaud Dave's efforts. I am going out on a limb and going to guess he is Italian. why don't we all try and post something written in Italian so he can ream us a new one. Lets be just a little bit kind...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
SeaDawg,
We have two "Dave" posts back to back, and I can't really tell which one of us you're talking about. I certainly hope you're not referring to me as it wasn't my intent to ream anybody or anything. If it somehow came across that way I apologize.

BTW, I'm Dutch.
Mágico Felipe Barbieri
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Mágico Felipe Barbieri
I'm sorry, is that my English is not very good, then, from fear to write wrong, is using a translator online, more now I do not know which of the two is worse, mine english or the translator, (laughs)

I'm sorry again

Bye
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Dave "V" I was trying to be sarcastic. I do appreciate your springing to the 'newbies" defense.

I respect your posts and efforts

Your Aye
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Maybe we could do a FAQ for newbies so they know that they are not the only ones who have been doing street performing. Maybe let them know that after perhaps only a year or so is not really the time to give tips to anyone.

I enjoy the enthuseasm greatly. But it does need to be controled, even if for their own good. I am not trying to be mean but serious really. Almost every time a newbie tries to do this, it turns out to offend those who have been at it for decades. I am being serious and trying to help, not hurt. Please take this in that vein.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Come on people, let's be kind and try to be helpful. He is a 14-year old Brazilian, and English is not his native language.

Dave V. Your advice was right on the money, in my humble opinion.

Tony
robert bianchi
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of robert bianchi
Right on Tony.

There is something to be learned from everybody!

In my opinion, the mark of a true professional in any field is one who has the patience and interest to listen to all opinions and suggestions, even from those with lesser expirence.

The inexpierence of a student, is often a useful tool to the master's own level of knowledge. Contrasts are important, not to mention that I believe that sometimes there can be a nugget of a nuiance that the student could very well provide, whether they know it or not.

For those who are offended for his having the termerity to think that he had something of use to say, ask yourself why did this really offend you. If you had nothing to gain, why not just move on. I mean he was not trying to be offensive, but rather, just expressing his expierences. He is 14 years old and speaks another native language.

To quote another "when did we become such an unforgiving people." Corney, I know. But applicable here nevertheless.

I some will argue with me about this, but I just felt that some were being a little pedantic here on this one.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok guys who think this is too harsh lets attack it from a helpfull point of view. Oh and by the way I DID give the kid some slack. I did NOT lash out or call names I made a suggestion that will help EVERYONE.

Let's say his views at such a tender age are not quite what they will be when he is 10 years down the road. Is that fair?

So are we better off letting him develop bad habits, arrogance (which he has not displayed by the way, just it seems to be the road that they go down) and flat out wrong ideas. Or are we better off telling him that he has some to learn, (by the way I DID NOT say it mean but lets face it truth is truth) and try to educate him. Maybe as I suggested a FAQ thing may be in order and put them further down the road to avoid some of the habits and things that will HURT them in the future.

I don't know when truth became so tough to tell people but it really does hurt ANY art form in my opinion. IF you can show me one sentence I wrote here that is out of line or mean or anything but helpfull then I will appologise. BUT to tell someone to learn more before having such definate opinions and trying to assume the roll of teacher as opposed to student, well that hurts their development, and our art.

Again I didn't say it mean, so lets just get to telling truth, we will all be better off for it if you ask me.

As I said no reason for "personal attacks" on opinions, or being mean, NEITHER of which I have done.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
robert bianchi
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of robert bianchi
Dannydoyle:

You clearly were trying to give positive critism, and you as much stated that you were being careful not to "offend" him. That is clear from your post.

What it is that I am trying to say, is that everybody can have an opinion. While his writting is hard to discern (not a critism, because I respect anyone who can speak more than one language) it is clear to me that what he was trying to do was detail what his expierences have shown to him.

There are all levels of expierence in the Café. While I do not know Bill Palmer, I try to read every post he writes, because it is clear to me that he is extreemly knowledgable and has a flare for writting and manner of expression that interests me.

Now, I post in the Café about my expierences and I know that I am not in anyway as capable, expierenced, or worthy of the skills of Bill, you, and many, many more who post here. I write my opinions and look for more expierenced people like you and Bill to agree, disagree, modify, confirm or whatever. It is invaluable to me, and I am certain by other lesser skilled people like me to review.

I readily know, however, that I am posting here where top notch professionals are reading, and that I am a easily recognizable to them as a neophite. I have practiced magic consistantly for over 35 years, but I have taken paths in my life to hone skills and become an "expert" in other areas. Consequently, my development of skills in magic has suffered, for those pursuits of other areas.

I have appreciated, however, that many have been gracious enough to respond to me, without being demeaning when I say something that later I realize after their constructive critism, was a really novice question or post to guys like you.

I just think that the kid is only 14 years old, and that everybody has an opinion based upon their expierence level, and that it would be better to either agree, disagree, or clarify. It would have been instructive to him, and is the way a student teacher relationship allows the passing of information from a more expierenced person to a lesser expierenced person. His post was not helpful to me, but your responses to him on the subject matter, probably would have been.

I do not think that he was being diserepectful, only giving his expierences, and probably mostly just introducing himself to us.

And, I do not mean to imply that you were rude or offensive. Again, you well stated your intentions were not for that purpose.

Regards, Bob
bond_jmesbond007
View Profile
New user
India
70 Posts

Profile of bond_jmesbond007
Quote:
On 2006-11-23 22:34, Dannydoyle wrote:
Maybe we could do a FAQ for newbies so they know that they are not the only ones who have been doing street performing. Maybe let them know that after perhaps only a year or so is not really the time to give tips to anyone.

I enjoy the enthuseasm greatly. But it does need to be controled, even if for their own good. I am not trying to be mean but serious really. Almost every time a newbie tries to do this, it turns out to offend those who have been at it for decades. I am being serious and trying to help, not hurt. Please take this in that vein.

Hi there,

With due respect I would like to chip in a few things. First and foremost, instead of just putting the little boy down, we can directly come to the point in either correcting him or just taking his experience. Instead of we saying that they should be controlled or kept in tight leash etc. We can just tell them directly that they need to put in more effort probably and channelize their energies in the right direction rather than beat around the bush. Instead of telling them to just shut-up literally, we can tell them to be more meaningful and guide them in the right direction.

The above things can be done if you want to help that individual or just read another post somewhere and move on if that is not our intention.

On the other hand, the little kid has come to this forum not to just brag about himself (which I think he could do otherwise in various ways back at his home or friends) but I guess to share his experience and probably he thought with this approach he could gain some more insights on the same from professionals like you. What would be his reaction if we responded to him in a negative manner? After all he is just a 14 year old and not a mature adult to understand things at our level unless he is a child genius.

I firmly believe that, if I am pointing a finger at some one and telling them that they are wrong then I did better show them what is right also and guide them on the right path or I should not point a finger at all in the first place.

My apologies in case I have written anything wrong. I would appreciate everyone to please correct me if in case I have gone worng anywhere.

The universe around me is my teacher and I am always open to learning!!!

Warm regards...
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Lets cut the PC BS. I believe that all Danny was trying to say (and saying very well) is that the "kid" as you call him, really has no real experience at 14 and I agree with him. How about this example? How would you feel if a 14 year old tried to tell you the secrets to living a good life? You wouldn't bash him but you probably wouldn't take him too seriously either. It just seems a little silly that someone just starting out wants to give advice. IMHO
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
I agree. And that's the problem with the Café in general, you have 10 year olds debating with full grown adults.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Some tips of Street Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL