We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Charming Chinese Challenge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Trent Hardcore
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Trent Hardcore
Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing the 'Charming Chinese Challenge' DVD by Troy Hooser. Is this effect suitable for somebody who is an experienced magician, but a beginner to coin magic? What sleights are required to perform this effect?

Cheers,
Trent
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
I would totally say that you could do this routine. It is not to difficult and it plays very well.

C
Dam
View Profile
New user
Brest in France
100 Posts

Profile of Dam
Quote:
What sleights are required to perform this effect?

Just finger palm and/but a lot of subtilities, and a classic ring and string sleights.
Troy hooser explain several sleigths for each parts of the routine, some with "difficult" sleights, others without.

You can buy it with closed's eyes.
I perfom the CCC all the time and have a lot of succes.

Damien
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Don't think and just get it.

It's one of the most magical effects you can have with chinese coins. Skills aside, it's a very good use of holes in chinese coins, instead of the odd gag of "peeking". You probably have known the effect: 3 chinese coins threaded by a ribbon/thread and melts off one by one magically. This is truly amazing and "logical". And best of all, everything can be examined, no trap doors and gimmicks.

In terms of skills, it's within reach for beginners in coin magic. In fact sooner or later you'll acquire all the skills you need. And once again the presentation is more important.

I highly recommend this. IMHO it's a must have for those who want to use chinese coins.
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Any of you guys who do this...Do you find that the climax of the effect is a bit transparent? I have a workaround that I'm ok with but I'm wondering about others thoughts.
Dam
View Profile
New user
Brest in France
100 Posts

Profile of Dam
Quote:
Do you find that the climax of the effect is a bit transparent?

I don't think, for each coin, it's more and more magical.
The first, you say ok
The second, in the spactator hand, you begin to ask you
The third, the coin melt out and go on the rubbon, and with a "striking vanish" it's wowwww for laymen (and for the other Smile)
And the last is the more magical you can do : The coin escape and travel in the spectator hand in the cleanest way as possible...

So I think the climax is the very good way to finish.
People speak about this long time after and I think it's the best way to know how a trick is good.

damien
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
I would say you can practice it as fundamental to higher skill level....
it's within reach for a beginner while you keep practicing to make it solid

It's very good, visual and practical

I use it as opener before I go to coin accross routine

It worths the price

Get it

Cheers,
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
I've actually changed the routine a bit...I do the first coin in their hand, I have eliminated the third phase (coin off-then back on again). The reasons I changed them is because of the presentation I use when doing this effect. The routine as explained (I've been doing this since Troy showed it to me in 97 or 98) worked fine until I figured out my presentation for why the coins come off (I never liked the "Puzzle" aspect Troy uses).

I have found- on occassion a spectator will say "It's going to be in my hand" when I started the final phase (btw this was happening even before I changed the presentation).I wanted to get them away from that thinking.

At one point I had eliminated the final phase altogether and started putting the other two back on the ribbon magically (more in keeping with the traditional use of good luck-which is the real reason why the coins are on a ribbon). This was satisfactory but I really like the coins ending in the spectators hands and vanishing from mine.

Any thoughts?
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
It is a nice effect, I love it; the first person I ever saw doing the routine was Eric Decamps about a year ego, the next day I went to work and came up with my own handling, Now I do it backward, which means I start with the 3 coin out of the string and put them in one at a time, and some days I put them all at once,when I do the routine for magicians,i do both phaces first all in then all out.

Trent I suggest you get it.

My two cheles.

Mano.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Charming Chinese Challenge (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL