The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Best comedy stage trick/routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
seanalexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
194 Posts

Profile of seanalexander
Hi all,

I was wondering what your opinions were on the most funniest trick/routine available? I'm looking for a hillarious routine to use in my stage show.

Does anyone know who came up with DC's egg routine? And is it commercially available or is it exclusive to him?

Thanks

Sean
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
That's an easy one in my opinion...

Whit Haydn's 4 Ring Comedy Routine. Classic, yet modern enough to use in a "high tech" large scale show.

Just my 2 cents...
~Jonathan
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
BryanKelly
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of BryanKelly
I read the title of your question and was going to put Whit's 4 ring routine as well, but I see someone already beat me to it..
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Sean, you are not going to buy yourself funniness off the self.

I suspect you're interested because from the look of your publicity shot you do an illusion act and you want to add some lighter moments or (gulp) fill some time with a bit of fluffy 'light entertainment'in the show.

Unfortunately comedy cannot be bought off the shelf made to measure. I nearly found myself saying ...unlike illusions comedy cannot..etc...

But that's me making the same mistake about illusionists as you are making about comedy. You can buy an illusion or gag but owning it and knowing how it works doesn't make an illusion act or a comic.

Not what you want to hear I'm sure and on the surface of it not that helpful but in truth .... very helpful.

Neal Smile
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I agree: you can't buy comedy, just like you can't buy any other skills. And buying someone else's script can't work out well. Who else can perform "The Amazing Jonathan"'s routine?
seanalexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
194 Posts

Profile of seanalexander
Hi Guys,

Yes I agree to a certain degree! But you can't tell me that Copperfield or any of the big names out there came up with all their routines? They have all been consulted (Steinmeyer, Gaughan, Don Wayne, just to name a few)! My point is that yes it may not be a good idea to copy word for word someone else's script/routine but I do feel that it is possible to find a routine and with work, mould it to make it your own with your own bits and pieces, as with Illusions, manipulation, etc, etc. Yes Neal I am an Iluusionist but do have one or two comedy moments in the show with a few one liners also and yes I am looking for a comedy routine to add a bit more light on the shade! I don't think it's a problem to learn a routine and adapt it accordingly to suit your style! There are several name magicians who have done EXACTLY that! And lets not forget comedians also! How many comedians have you seen doing the same gags and material? Ah but I hear you say that they have routined those same gags to come up with there own piece! Exactly what I'm saying....like Illusions, manipulation, general magic and of course comedy, you can take the basis and work it into your own adding your own bits and pieces!

Just my opinion...and no I'm not out there wanting to copy other peoples material.

BTW Neal, are you the same Neal Austin from the UK? The same one who did a certain 'climax' at the end of their sub trunk routine at a convention? If so THAT is comedy genius!

Regards and a Merry Christams to you all.

Sean
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Hi Sean,

Reading your last post it's obvious that you're not expecting to buy instant comedy of the shelf. Smile Sorry that I made the assumption that you did.

I was thrown by the line in your initial post, "I'm looking for a hillarious routine to use in my stage show."

I guess that's one of the side effects of keeping a post brief. However realising now that you're expecting add your own imput Smile I would recommend first deciding what type of effect you might be most comfortable performing, what's going to fit your style. ie: audience participation, something big and showy, something small and intimate, the magician in trouble, mind reading, etc. Then scan Tarbells and the internet to see what might fit the bill. You might find the process itself leads you to an idea.

Then see if you can add the comedy. This is sort of approaching the problem from the opposite direction. Rather than starting with an effect and working from there start with an idea and see what effects that leads you to. And don't be shy about asking for help. As you said even the big names use other peoples imput.

And yep I'm the Neal Austin from the UK. Thanks for the compliment about the sub trunk, glad you liked it. Smile An example of letting an audience see your best qualities in an obvious way. Smile

Happy Christmas. Neal Smile
Neal Austin

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
God I love it when guys throw arround names like Copperfield.

How much money do you think goes into his routines? IF you want to spend that much time and money, yep you to can have comedy off the shelf.

See comedy is not something that is in a trick. The comedy is from YOU.

Linking rings are not inherantly funny. They can be made so.

Comedy is more about who you are as a performer, than the tricks you choose.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Danny,

I think both my posts and Sean's last post made the same points. Smile

Also you don't have to have Copperfield's budget to get imput from others. You might even get advice for free. And money spent on getting direction or maybe even a script written for a comedy bit is as likely to be of at least as much value as any money spent on something from a magic dealer.

Happy Christmas Neal Smile
Neal Austin

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
By the way did ANYONE but me think the girl is a stooge?

Just asking.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
No the Girl is the illusionist.....the Handsome chap is the Stage Assistant....by the way Sean...I agree with Neal...before you hire any consultant, Comedy is a thing that you can learn to write with yourself, who knows better about yourself than you...and your Stage Assistant

I am a Hypnotist/Mentalist and for years and years I learn all I could learn about it.....last night after reading few post at this section of the Café, I just realise that I never learn properly about comedy.....20 min ago I just place an order at Amazon.com and buy few books on how to write Comedy...its a start Tou!
seanalexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
194 Posts

Profile of seanalexander
Hi guys,

Thanks for your input. Mesmer I think a few books on writing comedy is a good start! Actually I was best man at my friends wedding this summer and I got a gr8 book on writing speaches and how to link to pieces together from one gag to the next and from one subject to another, it was very good and........the speach was a fantastic success with everyone comenting on how the speaches were the best and most funniest they had ever heard! I think I might do a search on amazon myself!

Neal thanx for the input, I might just pick your brain later with one or two ideas (when I get straight in my head where I want to be going with the comedy!) Actually let me make a start now......I suppose in my mind & personality the most funniest pieces that I find funny are those where the audience are aware of what is happening but the spectator dosen't! Also borrowing an item from an audience member and it all apparantly going wrong gets me laughing! What about combining these 2 comedy angles in a single routine? Any thoughts ideas? I ideally want to create a routine or adapt one which is compact using small minimal props. I already do cheating the gallows with 5 guys and one of them being sent to the gallows which plays very well and gets good reaction, but the only downfall is the size of the prop! The gallows is about 8ft high and so won't fit in all venues and is just another large prop to carry!

Anyway I'm gonna go have I think and if anyone has any comments them please let me know.

BTW Neal I didn't actually see your sub trunk routine but heard about it from a certain Mr Raffles (Jnr)!! Did I hear right the old gits didn't appreciate it? I would have loved to have seen their faces....My kind of comedy! lol

Regards

Sean
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Sean, For the audience in the know approach you might want to check out:

The Macombical Deck ( might have spelt that wrong). I've posted a version of it here somewhere. It almost certainly won't be anything you can use, (I end up dressed in a superhero costume Smile ), but it might give you an idea of the different ways you could go with it.

Otherwise there's Steve Bedwells manuscript 'In Over Your Head'. It reads very well and seems to be brilliantly constructed. It's a cut and restored rope with the elements of the paper balls over the head built into it. I know Steve has had great success with it... but you'd expect him to as he developed the routine.Smile

Neal
Neal Austin

The Sorcerer
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of The Sorcerer
My vote goes to Tommy Cooper's vanishing cabinet. But could you make that as funny as he did?
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
2 Comedy routines I have great success with at over a 100 Corporate shows a year!-keeping in mind I'm not a comedy type act but have my own personality on each routine

Jumbo Mc Combical deck with assistant on stage-usually one of the hosts of the event etc-plays huge to a lay audience

Silk to egg-I have played this to crowds of over 800 people & bought the house down-I finish my own act with this after all the music & Illusions etc

leaves the audience laughing & having a great time as you say goodnight etc

Regards-Brent
seanalexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
194 Posts

Profile of seanalexander
Hi Guys,

Just watched a video clip of the McCombical deck! Interesting......Brent the silk to egg routine - do you do eggsposure? Where you crack the egg at the end? I used to do this while having a kid on stage, teaching them the trick and of course cracking the egg at the end as the climax! played well!

I think I may have to get the McComb deck and In over your head and try to build upo them!

Thanx guys

Sean
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Cut and restored rope plots are great as depending on the performer (and their are a lot of them that do these) you can change the entire atmosphere of the effect from odd mystery to hilarious comedy.
My recomendation.
Mongolian Pop Knot by Whit Haydn (VERY GOOD)
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
On the other hand if you would like to use a volunteer......which I would actually reccommend you cant use the silk and egg or the mongolian pop knot, but I would also reccommend one of the mccombical decks
NOTE: look aroung there is a regular card version and a few others (I think with paintings and cereal boxes) this opens up yourself to different types of gags so take your time in picking! Smile
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2007-01-05 18:34, seanalexander wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just watched a video clip of the McCombical deck! Interesting......Brent the silk to egg routine - do you do eggsposure? Where you crack the egg at the end? I used to do this while having a kid on stage, teaching them the trick and of course cracking the egg at the end as the climax! played well!

I think I may have to get the McComb deck and In over your head and try to build upo them!

Thanx guys

Sean

Sean-

Yes!- the "Silk to Egg" I use is the version where I crack the egg at the end into a small glass bowl!

I really make a point of having only the bowl on a small table & speaking slowly into the mic
as I am about to crack the egg-you can hear a pin drop prior to this as most people are saying no way is that real!!!!-You can almost hold the suspense for a few extra seconds!!_very important when doing this

Then going from silence to a huge laugh plus applause is a good way to finish your act

I use the Viking Magic version-the fake egg is so realistic

I perform this at every show I do-I don't perform childrens shows -only student & corporate in Hotels & clubs & it is a highlight in all shows!!

Mc Combical deck-Jumbo-is also a huge laugh for lay audience as they think theve got you & you stuffed up a trick-but obviously youhave a double whammy finish to great applause & laughter

I find these effects mean you don't have to be a natural comic to perform but present them in a way that makes it fun & the rest takes care of its self!

cheers

-Brent
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I would like to try the silk to egg, but theres not many white eggs in uk???
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Best comedy stage trick/routine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL