The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Criss Angel hires Jay Sankey for MindFreak season 3 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Alan Patrick
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Alan Patrick
Did anyone here that Jay Sankey is the newest member of Criss Angel's Team?
Here's a snipet from Jay Sankey's newsletter:

CREATING MAGIC FOR CRISS ANGEL

"Jay Sankey is an amazingly creative magician who always thinks outside
the box. That's why he is part of the Mindfreak Team."" ? Criss Angel,
star of A&E?s MINDFREAK.

I just signed an exclusive deal to develop an original collection of
magic effects for the hit A&E series MINDFREAK starring Criss Angel. In
September, Criss Angel and David Baram (president of the LA-based
entertainment agency The Firm) contacted me and asked me to "get on
the next plane to Vegas." Two days later, I found myself sitting-in on a
brainstorming session with Angel's creative team in one of the lavish
penthouse suites of Las Vegas? Luxor hotel. Soon afterwards, I was
officially offered the job of developing a minimum of 40 original magic
concepts for the upcoming third season of MINDFREAK.

I immediately got to work developing a whack of whole new stuff and it
looks like a lot of it is going to make it "into the show." Thanks so much
to Criss, Dave and the rest of the team! It's been a total pleasure and a
rare creative treat working together!

What do you guys think about that?
afillius
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of afillius
I have always loved Sankey's work...I am sure he will produce some great effects for the show.
www.stsgroupinc.com
pro audio/video/lighting

Great magic is about creating great images - Jay Sankey
expand your consciousness
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of expand your consciousness
Good for Jay, he is well established in the world of magic. I just hope Criss gives him the proper credit and respect he deserves.
lylaster
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
197 Posts

Profile of lylaster
This seems like a weird pairing. My impressions of Criss's magic is that they are grand illusions that are just "mindfreaking". Walking on water, walking through a glass window, turning water into beer. Sankey's magic is more close up, sleight of hand based. I'm not a big fan of Sankey's work, but I'm sure he can adapt from of his routine's to make them more of Criss Style. I think Criss will probably go for more mentalism material from Jay than any other.
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
I think Sankey is great, and I agree, Criss had better give him the respect and credit he deserves.

Best,
Monte
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
Jay sankey is going to create effects based on criss angel's style
Alan Patrick
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Alan Patrick
In a recent Mindfreak episode Criss already performed a modified version of Jay's Airtight...turned out pretty good..

so I guess Jay's effects are already in Criss' repritore..
garethwitty
View Profile
New user
Windsor, England
77 Posts

Profile of garethwitty
Well I say good job Jay! It might make the sure a bit better than the Stooge and edit method!
NicholasC
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of NicholasC
Good idea. Jay is an excellent choice.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Jay Sankey? Criss Angel? I would really love to see the forty effects. It just seems their styles are so radically different that they wouldn't really find common ground.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I think Jay Sankey is one of many many consultants the Criss Angel has hired for his MindFreak 3. I think Jay would have to come up with something that they can use. And he also needs to, for the lack of better words, be humble as he's working among other giants in the magic industry. However, I'm confident that he will come up with so many cool materials for Criss that Jay Sankey will be forever immortal, as the essence of his magic is of high caliber/octane.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
287 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
Sankey on mainstream tv...now if only Mr. Paul Harris would make a new appearance...I think the magic world might just get a good shot in the arm. God bless the magi in the world. We're movin' on up to the east side.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
emanmagic5
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
614 Posts

Profile of emanmagic5
This will be interesting! Anybody know when season 3 will be out on tv?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow another consultant huh? How many does he need before the show is watchable?

How about he just LISTENS to Johnny Thompson and learns how to engage an audience?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Et tu, Sankey!?
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Why are they doing another SEASON!? Enough already. Mr. Blaine performs once every few years, that's why people think he is so unique. This every week thing is okay, but it just seems to get old. Some of Jay Sankey's work is okay, I like a few things, but he has the ability to pick up an random object he can find, and make a really bad effect out of it. The joke I have heard too many times was the fact that Jay Sankey had a new effect out. When you bought it you received nothing but a rubberband and a toothpick, or some other random object that just doesn't make sense.

I'm not bashing, but it seems like both strive for too much. Please don't respond calling me an idiot or telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, that's not what I'm going for. I respect each for things they have done, but enough is enough. I recently heard a podcast from the Penn Jillette show with Criss Angel (it was really old). He was talking about the up and coming second season at the time and how he is always accused of using camera tricks. He then claims that he can perform each trick for someone in person and they will get the same results. That just isn't true.

I don't think camera tricks are his problem, its exspected now adays, I think the fact that 95% of his tricks are pre-arranged is the problem. I have worked with a few ideas that he uses, such as the floating light bulb and Pinky the floating handkerchief. If he just came up and did the trick instead of trying to convince everyone and there brother that it wasnt set up by continously saying; "Now I don't know you, this is a normal deck of cards, this is a normal table, none of us have met". You just see it time and time again and it honestly sucks.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
You mean those people he ask if they have never met before ACTUALLY HAVE MET BEFORE! NO!!!! REALLY! OMG OMG OMG OMG!

I'm shocked.... *rolls eyes*
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
expand your consciousness
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of expand your consciousness
I was surprised they did give him a third season. It is getting too old, especially when laymen comment on how fake some the magic is. I liked Criss Angel when he did his first Mindfreak special, with Submerged. Unfortunatly fame got to his head, and he seems to think too much of his "magic" and his "team". It would be professional of him to not put down other magicians and claim that his magic is the best and on top of that he claims that, "anything he can do on on stage, he can do in real person, or he wouldn't do it at all. His comment. Any magician who understand magic knows how untrue that is.
HHmmm, I may have gotten off topic
joshua the magician
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of joshua the magician
Hey give the guy a break.. maybe this season will be something different. like another card trick!

Posted: Dec 4, 2006 8:50pm

bad joke. just had to say it.
magicly,
joshua
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Perhaps David Blaine knows he goes better in small doses. Not a bad strategy and far more credit than I ever gave him. Thank you for the perspective.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Criss Angel hires Jay Sankey for MindFreak season 3 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL