The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Criss Angel hires Jay Sankey for MindFreak season 3 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
jas
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of jas
Now I'm no David Blaine supporter... but at least he mixed in some actual tricks with his larger, edited illusions. I've tried to watch mindfreak... I really have... But every single trick seems to be prearranged or uses a stooge to assist. At least do one or two tricks an episode that might make me believe he actually did them. It just amazes me that with Johnny Thompson, Banachek and now Jay Sankey as part of the creative team, that the show hasn't been better. It seemed like David Blaine really brought some older tricks back into the spotlight with his special. The only trick I've enjoyed doing from Mindfreak was the coin in the soda can from Houchin. Hopefully Jay will actually bring some magic to this show...
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
I first got into his stuff way back when he had his show in New York city. In it, he'd use a lot of old stage acts but put a really modern/artistic twist on them. Sort of a Cirque du Soleil meets magic. That I liked.
Now, not only does he not freak my mind, but if I have to listen to him sing that god awful intro to his show, or repeat the words "we've never met before have we?" one more time, I think I'll get sick. There's no real way back for him at this point. He's become as cheesy as one can get; what with all his bling, cool hair and perfectly ripped jeans, he's more a rebelious Ken doll than a respected magician.
But that's just me being a critic. I'm also fully aware that he's accomplished more early in life than most people will, and that coupled with filling up three seasons' worth of episodes with magic, is surely not an easy task. Most other magicians have just a one hour routine that they perform nightly for years on end.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ralpho I indeed am of the hour long variety for years.

Thing is though if I had to fill up 3 seasons, how would I go about it? Perhaps in the same way he has.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Mindfreak as a special...not a bad thing...Mindfreak as a series now going into its third season...not a good thing.
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
joshua the magician
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of joshua the magician
Well, he does appeal to the general public, he doesn't really have to appeal to magicians for him to make money. its all about money.
magicly,
joshua
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Thing that I find amusing is he does NOT appeal to the general public sorry.
He appeals to a very spacific "goth" market.

A&E is basic cable guys NOT network TV. He does not have mass appeal. He is a niche market like Dog the Bounty Hunter and Inked. Just because it is on TV does not mean it is mainstream.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
MINDFREAK!!! Are you ready? God I hate that
expand your consciousness
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of expand your consciousness
Totally agree with you dannydoyle, Angel is for a select few audiences, but apperantly good enough for a third season. But if he was on network tv, he would of probably only had 1 or 2 seasons.
But honestly, his majic has become weak and ridicules or far fetched. And his acting needs much improvement, as well as his brothers and "team". I got tired of his "have we ever met before" and "I never done this before". If I had my brothers and cousins in on it all the time, as well as fulltime stooges, I or any magician would be a success on TV, imagine that. I don't care too much for Angels magic, but I still respect Banachek as professional in this art.
theoriginalman
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of theoriginalman
I think that this is a great pairing, Sankey is just plan funny at times and maybe ssome of his humor will rub off on Criss. As for the effects, I'll just wait and see as most of Jays effects require one to be very good with their hands and I really don't feel that Criss is in that catergory. I'm sure with the right help (Sankey) Criss will be able to perform some amazing things.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-12-05 17:37, theoriginalman wrote:
I think that this is a great pairing, Sankey is just plan funny at times and maybe ssome of his humor will rub off on Criss. As for the effects, I'll just wait and see as most of Jays effects require one to be very good with their hands and I really don't feel that Criss is in that catergory. I'm sure with the right help (Sankey) Criss will be able to perform some amazing things.

Exactly what times are they that Jay is so funny. I would like to see them as they seem to have slipped by me.

IF he was going to listen to ANYONE shouldn't it have been Johnny Thompson? From say, maybe, DAY ONE? What is it in his past exactly that makes you think for a second he will listen to anyone?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
I agree. Jay Sankey is far from being funny...teeth grindingly annoying is more like it.
Castle2369
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston, MA
207 Posts

Profile of Castle2369
This should prove to be very interesting, I like most of Sankeys work he's a very creative performer. I would love to see Chris performing more walk around effects as well, hopefully Jay Sankey will get him doing this. Only time will foretell things, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the 3rd season of MindFreak turns-out.
Creator of the Gallerian Bend
amazing_gordo
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
35 Posts

Profile of amazing_gordo
Jay Sankey's effects are top drawer! (which is where I keep them!) Lol!

But seriously folks, Sankey's illusions are awesome, and I'm sure he can give Criss Angel some much needed new material to work with. Sankey is a better creator than he is a performer, but then so are a number of magician/inventors. His main job is creating and selling magic effects, so please don't call him a sell-out. It's too sour grapes!

Hopefully Sankey will fare better than the rest of the Mind Freak "creative team" has. For instance; Criss uses Lance Burton to give him credibilty, and he uses Johnny Thompson for comic relief. And look at Banachek! In one episode, he was even reduced to carrying Angel's bags! He's Angel's monkey and he knows it. But he's there of his own free will, and undoubtedly enjoys cashing the big checks.

And of course Criss Angel "misleads" the audience with some of his claims, particularly when he alleges that he doesn't use stooges! Oh come now! Even Martha Stewart called to ask him how many times he waters his "plants"! And while I don't like using them myself, what big name illusionist hasn't used a goon now and then? Although I'll admit he uses them to the point of insanity! Hopefully Sankey can change that, and inject new blood into the show.

Still, by and large, Criss Angel is the best thing to happen to the magic profession since the invention of the sponge ball! To those that are still unconvinced that Angel is good for business, just remember that his show is still immensely popular, and this popularity is a help to all of us! And that's a good thing!

Angel deserves his props; Doing a weekly show is a tremendous task! I know I couldn't come up with new stuff all the time like that. As for Blaine, he couldn't pull off a weekly show, and well he knows it!

Let's just relax and see what season three brings, shall we?
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Manchester, CT
2038 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
"Let'sjust relax and see what season three brings, shall we?"

I second that! Very exciting to know that one of today's great magic creators is teaming up with one of the most popular (whether you like him or not) performers. I hope it does indeed inject some new ideas and fresh blood into the show.
expand your consciousness
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of expand your consciousness
Blaine and Takayama are much better performers, plus David is more realistic in his magic, while Angel just makes things more and more absurd. Which hopefully will not be an indication of Mindfreak3.
Can Jay Sankey save Criss Angel?
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Someone made a comment about Sankey being to drawer........... So the other day I was ordering a few things from a magic shop I will not mention. I saw Sankeys Meta Morph. It was like 3 dollars so I thought to myself " I have ragged on Jay so much, maybe I will give him another try, he has to still be full of a few good tricks out of the thousand he puts out". When it came in the mail I read the instructions and was so disgusted. But still I figured I would try it out on a few friends. I think I was actually discredited as a magician after that one. Are you kidding me? And the humor part. Believe me, its going to take a lot to give Criss Angel humor and it isn’t going to come from Sankey.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I would not be surprised if Jay just took Criss' current material and just slightly altered it, and passed it off as his own. Personally I would rather see Jay perform live than Criss. They should just give Sankey the show, then maybe we can at least see some "magic" each week. Plus seeing Sankey actually perform for real people would be a shock, as opposed to lamps and just the camera.

I just hope Criss does not adopt Sankey's marketing pitch lines into his routines. Such as saying, "This is by far my most favorite, and most innovative effect I have ever done...straight out of my professional working repertoire" for EVERY effect.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Quote:
I just hope Criss does not adopt Sankey's marketing pitch lines into his routines. Such as saying, "This is by far my most favorite, and most innovative effect I have ever done...straight out of my professional working repertoire" for EVERY effect.

lol. omg, so true.
majik
View Profile
Regular user
Albany,Ga.
117 Posts

Profile of majik
Quote:
On 2006-12-12 23:59, expand your consciousness wrote:
Blaine and Takayama are much better performers, plus David is more realistic in his magic, while Angel just makes things more and more absurd. Which hopefully will not be an indication of Mindfreak3.
Can Jay Sankey save Criss Angel?
Does Criss deserve to be saved? I really hope they make some drastic changes for season 3. As of to date I hav'nt been able to stay interested in watching a complete episode. The shows style bores me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-12-12 22:42, BrianMillerMagic wrote:
"Let'sjust relax and see what season three brings, shall we?"

I second that! Very exciting to know that one of today's great magic creators is teaming up with one of the most popular (whether you like him or not) performers. I hope it does indeed inject some new ideas and fresh blood into the show.

Fresh blood and new ideas? ARE YOU KIDDING?

All I ever hear from Criss' supporters is how inovative, original, and unique he is.

First off someone who is such has no need for consultants, second of all he has had 2 SEASONS! How can he need "fresh blood and new ideas" for the show?

I too hope it takes a new direction. I wish him the best and hope at season 3 he takes off HUGE. It will be great for magic.

Plus just doing 2 seasons of magic on TV is not easy. I know that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Criss Angel hires Jay Sankey for MindFreak season 3 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL