We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Kevin James Snow Animator 4.0 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of incompletefaro
Is a video of the performance of Snow Animator Version 4.0 available on the internet?
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
WOW!!!

I'm surprised at how many people are so worried about noise with the snow animators.

Whenever you move air, you are going to make noise. The faster you move it the more noise it makes. Try and blow air out of your mouth at high velocity, without making noise!!! Just open a window of your car while driving...

On top of this for those of you that use snow machines. You know how loud they are. They sound like Vacuums!!! With 4 of those running above the audiences heads. Their sounds is WAY louder than any of the snow animators.

Being part of the SA 4 development, I have used the current B****R for a few years now. I have never had anyone ever tell me that they heard a weird sound when it was snowing... From the SA or the Snow Machines. My routine has a crescendo in the music when the snow starts and has never been an issue.

Just my 2 cents...
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
850 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Hi Michael,

I bought the original Snow Animator when it first came out (I owned #12). The vast majority of my shows are on large stages for big crowds and I never had a problem with the noise. I would not use the original stool for club dates where I was very close to the audience.

Although you are correct that moving air makes noise, there are many ways to muffle or alter sound. There is an entire science and industry that deals with this (they make dishwashers, etc, that are whisper quiet.) I think that the first stool could have been made to produce much less noise.

Supposedly Stool #2 was quieter and had a higher lift than #1. Hence my original questions. Is this even quieter and/or does it have a higher lift. My music covered most of the noise that #1 generated.

Since that time I have come up with my own system that is much quieter with has a higher lift. I spent almost a thousand dollars in R&D and I'm quite pleased with the results. No, it is not a stool, napkin holder or box. I won't be selling it - but it is possible to move a large volume of air a lot more quietly!

We still need to do coffee!

Lou
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Hey Lou,

Ya....we still have to do coffee.

Magic wasn't the only thing that I did for a living. My trade, is as an Aircraft Component Technician with 17 years of experience. One of my specialties is High velocity air. I've also spent most of my life studying aerodynamics and have a number of Canadian records for endurance and speed with model aircraft.

I do understand that baffles, flow straightening devices, and noise cancellation devices could be used to decrease sound. Modern day airliners are a lot quieter than their predcessors due to this technology. Helicopters have "hush" kits that can be installed on them too, that makes them quieter also.

I've never had a problem with noise, and if it's a smaller more intimate enviroment. I do the routine with a normal hand fan.

I do know that on a decibel meter, the new SA is quieter than SA #1 & #2. It does have a different tone than all the previous models though. It's velocity is also very high!

Anyways.....Like I said in my last post....sound has never been a huge issue for me...The emphasis for my routine (Not the normal snow story everyone else uses) has always been to pull an emotion out of the audience no matter what the method.

Hey Lou, PM me or email me, and we'll arrange a coffee....not sure what your schedule is like...

Michael
www.michaelberends.com
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
850 Posts

Hi Michael,

Cool background! The noise was never really an issue with me either. I too used a hand fan for crowds when the audience is very close.

It just seemed hard to get any solid info on Snow Animator 4. It was advertised as more powerful, yet quieter. I just wanted to hear feedback from an actual user.

Since I couldn't find solid feedback from an actual user, I did experimentation with different methods, sources, etc. I'm glad that I did.

I'll PM you or e-mail you about coffee. I'm looking forward to it.

Warm regards,
Lou
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Sounds Good Lou......I'll talk to you soon!!!
www.michaelberends.com
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
850 Posts

Hi Michael,

I sent you a PM.

Lou
natmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
295 Posts

Profile of natmagic
I've been using Version III for the past few years and it's brilliant. I just ordered no. IV so am looking forward to putting it in the act. For anybody who has No.3 I understand what you say about the snow going back in the box. The secret is to clean the fan prior to use, otherwise it will shoot out some of the paper from your previous shows. It does make a difference.
Michael is right, it's all about your music and routine. I've never had a problem with the noise. My reason for getting No. 4 is simply because it is a lot smaller and lighter. It will be easier for me to take to shows with me.

It's a bit like a Rocky movie ... I'm looking forward to version 8:))
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Nat,

I can't wait to hear your impression. Please let us know what you think/

Thanks!
Dan.
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-04-20 12:55, Amazing Magic Co wrote:
Nat,

I can't wait to hear your impression. Please let us know what you think/

Thanks!
Dan.

me too...
Mattillusion
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
Check out this option from Glenn Strange:

http://www.glennstrange.com/SSM/
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-07-10 10:58, Mattillusion wrote:

Thanks. This looks pretty good...
JasonBaney
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of JasonBaney
I should be able to answer any and all questions regarding the Snow Animator 4.

1 It is not louder. It is actually quiter. I compared the two with a decibel meter. The difference people notice is the pitch of the sound is higher, hence some people think louder.

2 It is more powerful than the previous models i.e. the snow goes higher.

3 It has a timer and you can stop it whenever you want.

4 It is much smaller-packs in a ATA case, shaped like a hat box, about cymbal size, which of course comes with it.

5 You can upgrade any of the old models by having them retro fitted with this new version if you want.

6 Custom versions are available. It can be built into almost anything.

The reason I know all this is I am the designer and builder. There will be a unique one of a kind Animator 4 at the Magic Live convention next week. It is based off my Appearing Chair trick. So it will pack even smaller and give you the combined characteristics of the 1/2 and 4. Come by the booth, check it out, and tell me what you think. It just may be the prototype Snow Animator 5 Hehe....
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Jason,

Thanks for the great info. While I will not be at Magic Live, please add my name to those interested in your SA-5 prototype. It sounds very cool.

Dan.
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Quote:
On 2007-07-10 10:58, Mattillusion wrote:

Anyone ordered this or have a review...
ernest
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of ernest
Snow animator 4.0 Video demo here :

http://www.ginjapan.com/jp/vtrdemo.htm

I love it !

Ernest.
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I would also be interested in a review from someone working with Glenn Strange's Stealth Storm Maker.
Zaubern Smile
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
164 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
I have bought Snow 4 an I have never owned a Snow animator. I will say this about it we give laymen too much credit. I did this effect in a very small hall with people about 5 to 6 feet away and only had small portable sound system. I could hear the snow machine working but after the show every one was asking how it worked LOL and on my comment cards this is the one effect they always say they remembered. Yes with no music one might say it is loud but with some distance form the spectators and some music playing in the back ground you will not have any trouble. The only problem is the loads they have to to big really big keveins are the size of a baseball. The mess is big make sure you have a good clean up crew......I would highly recommend this effect it is great !

Ps I did have a some minor issues when I 1st received my SA 4 but I contacted Kevin and he mad it right with me very quickly great customer service from Kevin James.
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
If Anyone has one of these that they would like to part with, please let me know.

Thanks.
Magic Roman
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Roman
Quote:
On 2007-03-04 16:01, Michael Berends wrote:
WOW!!!

I'm surprised at how many people are so worried about noise with the snow animators.

Whenever you move air, you are going to make noise. The faster you move it the more noise it makes. Try and blow air out of your mouth at high velocity, without making noise!!! Just open a window of your car while driving...

On top of this for those of you that use snow machines. You know how loud they are. They sound like Vacuums!!! With 4 of those running above the audiences heads. Their sounds is WAY louder than any of the snow animators.

Being part of the SA 4 development, I have used the current B****R for a few years now. I have never had anyone ever tell me that they heard a weird sound when it was snowing... From the SA or the Snow Machines. My routine has a crescendo in the music when the snow starts and has never been an issue.

Just my 2 cents...

Hey Michael,
You mention that the music you use with your snow machine has a crescendo, and I was just curious what music you are using? I’m just now buying my own snow machine, and experimenting with various music tracks. Any thoughts you can share are much appreciated.

Magically,
Roman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Kevin James Snow Animator 4.0 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL