The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Harvey Berg - Ne Plus Ultra (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
Does anyone who has used NE Plus Extra, have a review of the Book Test itself?
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Caigy,
I can give you a bit of a review.
You have three paperback classics. A spectator chooses any one of the three.
The book is freely opened to any page. If the spectator chooses, she may go forward or backwards to another page.
The spectator starts reading and the performer tells what the spectator is reading or has read.
It is that clean.
It is that simple.
It is more than a "word test" in a book. It is a clear description of what has been read.
This is a baffling bit of business.
Peace,
Parson

BTW: I will be glad to answer any questions that you may have.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
By the way, Paul Williams perfomed a hell of an entertaining book test.
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
Thank you Parson Smith. I will PM you with a couple more questions.
All the best to everyone here on the Café over the forthcoming festive period and I wish you all a healthy 2007.
Paul.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Well I have ordered it.if you lot don't care for mr bergs performance,thats up to you.i personally have had to endure the rantings of so called psychics on certain tv channels.id prefer to watch mr berg any time.he fooled me and so I ordered ne plus ultra.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Magic in Mind:May I ask you where you ordered Ne plus Ultra from? PM me if you wish.Thank-you.

Rich
chanor
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
104 Posts

Profile of chanor
Malchat asks:
I understand if you don't want to answer, but: is it possible to start revealing some little detail while the spectator is reading? Because that would be, well, awesome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indeed, one can start revealing some details before the spectator opens his mouth.
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Hi PaleoMagi have pmed you.having received ne plus ultra,the best thing is hardly as much memory work compared to final exam.no need to know the page no. or riffle etc.read Parson Smith's review.it is clean.if you want to I reckon you could go even a little further in your reveal.
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
Without tipping the method, can a different scenario be described dependant as to which of the three books is chosen i.e. could a second spectator choose one of the two remaining books and another outcome be arrived at without fear of duplicating the first reveal?
Paul.

www.psychicmentality.com
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
292 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
Quote:
On 2007-01-06 10:07, caigy wrote:
Without tipping the method, can a different scenario be described dependant as to which of the three books is chosen i.e. could a second spectator choose one of the two remaining books and another outcome be arrived at without fear of duplicating the first reveal?
Paul.

Yes, that could be done. The handling wouldn't be as ultra-clean but it could be done.
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
Thanks Daniel and Parson. I am going to order it.

www.psychicmentality.com
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
Hi;

Others have commented on the cleverness of this book test. One point that hasn't been mentioned is the layout of the book. It is laid out like a business document. By this I mean the paragraphs have line spaces between them. This is not how regular books are laid out - particularly not classics.

Now, I've raised this before about a couple of other book tests. It is clear that while this issue screams out that something is unusual to me, for others it is no problem at all. Fine. But for those of you who have encountered this problem before and would prefer to avoid it - beware.
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
292 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
The paragraph spacing issue is one that can bother me a little when it rears its head, but not so here with Ne Plus Ultra; the spacing is actually quite subtle.

The books do not look like a business document, imho, but look like volumes you would typically find within a budget Classics collection.

This is ultimately a subjective point-of-view, and no amount of gain-saying on either side's part will have any effect, but what I will say is that the books are otherwise, (I use otherwise purely to illustrate this point, as I see nothing wrong with the subtle paragraph spacing), so well put together and innocent-looking that there is no way they could scream out anything unusual to a spectator, who hasn't the faintest notion that magicians would print up trick classic titles anyway.
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
In fairness, I've just heard from Harvey that the layout is based on an actual novel. But it does look odd to my English eye.
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
I carnt see anything wrong with the spacing.i have performed ne plus and had amazing results.you can do so much more too if you put your mind to it.i ask the volunteer to, as they are reading imagine they are there,to convey what they see smell hear.etc.i elobarate a lot and it works well indeed.my wife who hadnt seen this before said at the time to herself no....... way.she remarked ,i thought youd ask a page number or even the first letter of the first word on the page or something.wow she said.so much better than that other one you use.however the other one she refers to will be used alongside ne plus in future .now that I have a plausible reason to just pick a word,after what truely is almost real mindreading.once again it is that good.hope mr berg releases other classics and maybe hardbacks and diff sizes all under the ne plus banner.one minor criticism would be to drop the pyramid classics.make the books all look completely unrelated.
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
One thing I forgot to respond to was the question of repeating ne plus.i wouldnt.not because you carnt. there is a good reason why you shouldnt but wont comment. you can get the volunteer to pick any page look at the page next to it and the pages overleaf.so its all diff.its not like a certain other book test.you wouldnt really want to repeat it as I said ,elobarate go a little further then just what is written etc.as harvey says milk it, but wise old man once said.. don't milk a cow twice in the same evening.you can get a good 15 mins or so, don't over do it.youll get enough wow first time around.
G. Batson
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of G. Batson
Quote:
On 2006-12-21 23:00, Scott Xavier wrote:

Not once does some one say man that was long and painful. Why? Because this single 20 minute routine is interactive fun and captivating.

Uh, I did when I saw your video.

G.
alannasser
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of alannasser
Incredible. This thread is about the trick/effect, and there is very little on that. This isn't a thread about performance style. Four pages so far, and precious little on Ne Plus Ultra.

Alan
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hey guys... Let me just throw in my $.02

I don't own Ne Plus Ultra, but Harvey Berg lectured at our SAM ring last night and performed this and it was incredible! Let me just say that he was the first to admit he was not the best presenter of the effect, but he was proud of his creation. The method is ingenious and took a tremendous amount of work from both Harvey, and a friend of his that came to the lecture (sorry, his name slips my mind right now).

If someone is looking for a POWERFUL book test unlike any others, pick this up! It's worth it's weight in gold!

Excellent! =]
-Vinnie
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Amen to that Vinnie.

Harvey is a terrific character for those who've had the pleasure of seeing him perform at Mindvention.
NPU is probably the cleanest, most credible and strongest book test I've ever come across. A very stylish & elegant moment in a mentalism presentation.
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Harvey Berg - Ne Plus Ultra (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL