The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Flea Circus (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Does any one have any experiance in acutally busking all pitching with a Flea Circus?
Love to pick your brain. Perhaps you know some one that does that you could put me in touch with.
Mario
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Thx for the private repounces interesting stuff.
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I was waiting for any respounce, can you share the interesting stuff ??
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I was sent a clip but it was private, so it is not my place to share it sorry.
Mario
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Royston South
View Profile
Regular user
Jersey Channel Islands
137 Posts

Profile of Royston South
Now that's a great flea circus and about £1500. cheaper, really got me thinking.

Thanks JoeJoe.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Thier you go, thanks Joejoe very worth while.
Mario
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Roflmao...

What a great spin on the rising card effect. It is so great to see some outside the box presentations.

At our magic club the other night, a guy did the "Chinese Sticks". So what, we all have seen it a bunch of times, and it can be pretty mundane. This guy had the place in absolute stitches. His spin: He bought the "Chinese sticks" while on vacation in Germany and he read the 'instructions" out loud , in "German" while doing the trick. I almost peed myself I was laffing so hard....
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
The routine is normally done on the streets, with the hanky on the ground ... it produces really tight crowds, as people really do move in close to see the flea. It was modeled after several carnival ballies (including Don Driver's), and was always the pitch of last resort (meaning I would do it when all else failed to draw a crowd).

I havn't done it in a long time, the biggest problem with the routine is when I kill the flea I also kill the crowd. I took that part out, but still had a rough time converting the crowd into a magic show. I think the only thing to really do is create more flea tricks and turn the show into a full flea show - I have ideas on this, just no time to work it all out. One day...

-JoeJoe
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Sounds great, can you share what your Iders are perhaps?
Mario
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Animated self cutting deck before the rising card ... the strong flea can lift a match over his head (via the floating match) ... dancing hanky could be the amazing flying flea - because the flea is so small, you hand her the hanky so the audience will be able to see better. The list goes on and on and on ... you do the coin that falls up? Well so can a flea ... and then there is the fat flea - he can eat this entire silk hanky before I can even open my hand (the old TT trick). Oh yea - he can reguritate it also. Ok that one might be a stretch - hehe. But you get the idea.

There are many tricks that can be done by a flea - as magicians, we perform our effects by "magic". There is no reason the effects can't be performed by imaginary fleas instead, the fleas become the magic.

All I've done as of now is experiement with the idea ... I spent the summer filming a performance magic DVD, and the flea routines didn't fit in. Once I achive other goals, I plan to do a full length flea circus out of the pockets.

-JoeJoe
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Joejoe that is fantastic.
Mario
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
JoeJoe,

Thanks for the video. It was good seeing my old ring. There was even one quick shot were I got to see some familiar faces.

Sorry Mario, not trying to digress.

Sincerely,

Tony
...the magic that creates Memories!
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
240 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
Try this site. http://www.trainedfleas.com He has been doing a flea Circus for some time now. And is an expert in flea circuses, clowning and variety arts. He has a clip of his show on the site.

Chris
v_alfano
View Profile
New user
Napoli, Italia
98 Posts

Profile of v_alfano
Very nice clip! Do you still work on flea circuses? Does anyone else work on it?
Adam J
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Adam J
Wow, I never knew flea circuses actually existed. I always thought it was just "one of those things" everyone jokes about.

That video really is excellent. It shows how an old trick that a lot of people can be made new again by creative minds.

Seeing as I've just found out about this, I have a question since I've never seen these "flea" tricks in real life. Those of you who do them: do you actually have a black "something" to act as the flea? Or do you just not have anything, so people will move in closer trying to see?

Adam
Mr Amazeo
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazeo
I put together a circus a few years ago, based on a video I bought from Walt Noon (I think that's who I got it from - can't remember right now). It showed how to make some circus-like props, and I've seen completed ones that you can buy on sites like Stevens Magic for around $1500 or so. I used it for a summer in a library gig I put together, but I never busked with it. I always thought that would be too hard to do on the street, mostly because the controls were on the rear of the suitcase, so you couldn't be surrounded. Although, I've heard that remote controlled ones are available, but spendy.

Here's what I learned - they have to actually believe there's a bug there, otherwise it sort of turns into puppeteering. So, suspension of disbelief was critical. Also, kids seemed to think fleas were actually flies, which they can see, so they couldn't figure out why they weren't seeing the fly. So I changed the bug to an ant, Howard, and created a little cartoon story that they could relate to (libraries want them reading). Ants are pretty easy to find in the summer, so I'd have him in a matchbox, which he opened ala that animated match box trick. I'd dump him out on the platform and sort of move him around where I needed him. I'd start with some cool tricks like The Strong Man, in which you hold the ant in your hand and then have it do a PK 50 cent piece coin flip over, and you were off and running. They're fast and don't stay where you put them, so it all got to be kind of a hassle.

If I was going to do it again, I'd go with ideas like what JoeJoe's mentions, those are really good. Plus, I wouldn't have to lug around that suitcase. (It had, like, 12 D cells in it for dogs sake!)

I've retired it as an act, so I guess I've got a little cannon for sale that I made to shoot your bug out of if you're interested. You have a kid catch the bug with a catchers mitt at about 20 feet out. It uses flash cotton. That was actually pretty cool. The kids love the high dive, as well - the front row would get splashed, which always created a scream.

Good luck, just keep it simple.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Thanks for your input.
Mario
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ken Brooke used to sell a very simple Flea routine that could be built upon.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
It was called "Fred the Flea" and is now put out by Practical Magic.
Bob Lunn had the mother of all gag flea routines, and he dressed the part in Pith Helmet and Leopard Skin!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Flea Circus (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL