The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How's Seattle? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
Hi all,
I'm thinking of taking my show on the road next summer.
I have friends in seattle (laymen, so they can't help me), and I was wondering about busking there.
where are the good places?
are the cops hard-nosed about permits? I'm working on a 3c monte, how would that go down there?
any advice is appreciated. I don't have any set plans yet.
thanks.
---
Oops, forgot.

how about juggling fire, or knives? I know here in SLC people get bent outta shape by those.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Hows Seattle you may ask...wet, sometimes very wet.

You might wanna get ahold of Tom Frank here at the Café, he used to busk in Seattle and is a legend!

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Just curious what do they say about the knives in SLC...
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
They say "don't juggle those!!"

Just kidding anton,
event organizers and security guards will ask you to leave if they catch you, and I've never tried juggling knives on a sidewalk
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
Only been there once, visited Tom Frank while there and if memory serves me correctly, there was a permit office at Pikes Place. You walk in, fill out a form, and pay the fee (very cheap), and then they give you a schedule for where you can perform. There are spots painted on the sidewalks, and you have to perform on those spots. Every so often, you rotate to the next spot and someone comes and takes your spot. So, in theory, everyone gets a shot at the good spots.

I also seem to remember that the spot Tom had, he was able to spent most of his time there and not rotate.

That's only my one day snap shot memory of it all. I do know I went into the office where you get the permits because we were trying to track down a guy.

Tom's the guy to ask, but until he answers, hopefully I got close.

Steve
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
How big are these rotating pitches?

Anton
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
All sidwalk spots, no circle show venues, that I saw. Several of them are right at entrances into the market, which meant that you can't draw a big crowd, or you'd be blocking the entrance into the market, which is why the people came there, not to see you. Then, some spots on the sidewalks in various places.

Please take into consideration, I was only there for a couple of days, and I didn't get the inside scoop on it all, I am just telling you what I saw or seemed to remember from conversations I had with people while out there.

I could be completely incorrect Smile

Steve

p.s. The spot Tom used was on a corner, which allowed you to draw a very nice sized crowd. I would guess Tom's years of experience,interaction, and friendship with the fellow performers there may have gave him a little more control of it all, but that's purely a guess.
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How's Seattle? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL