The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Best sources of impromptu magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
I recently purchased Greg Wilson's On the Spot and Off the Cuff videos. Since I usually do card magic, this was new to me. They are absolutely fantastic. I was wondering if you guys could recommend other books/videos that focus on the same kind of magic. Thanks
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic is a HUGE book full of impromptu miracles.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Dan Harlan has a three video set on “Impromptu Magic” that will give you more impromptu magic than you will ever use. Tom Mullica put out an impromptu magic video set also. They are a bit hard to find.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
manix
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of manix
Dig out Stars of Magic. Lots of great impromptu stuff in there. Go on, do what Blaine did, find some stuff that's so old, it's new!

Seriously though, it's one of the best books ever written on the subject. Sadly it is often overlooked though.
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
I agree that Dan Harlan's video set is an excellent resource.
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
Ditto on Stars of Magic. This is one of those oldies that if people don't quit talking about it, everyone is going to start doing the stuff again. It has been really great doing some of that old stuff, but between this and the Genii board, all of you are bringing it back up again. Stop, would ya? Smile
EranRaven
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of EranRaven
Life Savers by Mike Weber had some cool routines in it.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Simon Lovell's Party Animals and Office Animal Videos.
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
Rubberband magic is usually a good way to go

There's quite a bit of material that is actually quite good.

matt
Hermes
View Profile
New user
Turkey
4 Posts

Profile of Hermes
I love impromptu magic - it's my speciality!

These 2 books are available from Amazon:

"Self-working Table Magic: 97 Foolproof Tricks with Everyday Objects" - Karl Fulves

"Magic with Everyday Objects: Over 150 Tricks Anyone Can Do at the Dinner Table" - George Schindler

Peace & blessings be upon you.
"what is essential cannot be seen"
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Speaking of Stars of Magic, Johnny Thompson's set of tapes is almost a review of the book, and he does a great job with these effects. Recommended! Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
markkwan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of markkwan
What a bunch of wonderful sugguestions. I also recommend the on the spot and off the cuff videos. they're great in my opinion.
What good is a night, when you can't break it.
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
There's also a lot of very good impromptu stuff in "The Magic Book" by Harry Lorayne.

Its one of my all time favorite books.

Bob
Eschew obfuscation
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
Found the Socks !
430 Posts

Profile of CardFan
Look for "Out of Thin Air" by Larry Anderson it's a good source too.
Aiming to become the only magician in the world that has ever produced the lost socks back from the dryer...
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Socrates
'The Magic Book' by Harry Lorayne is a must in this field and the great thing is you can pick up a copy of it really cheap or even rent it from your library.

Another book that is a must have is 'Magic & Showmanship' by Henning Nelms as it'll help you to begin thinking about your magic and how you relate to it.

If you have these two books and you take on board everything that they say you'll be on your way to becoming a great impromptu/close-up performer.

The final ingredient you need is creative imagination, for without this there is no hope for anyone to become anything but a clone.

Take what you will from my advice and may the force be with you.

Socrates

'Imagination is more important than knowledge' - Albert Einstein Smile
PyroDevil
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
156 Posts

Profile of PyroDevil
Gregory Wilsons Off the Cuff and On the Spot.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
The Jay Marshall video Table **** from Stevens has a lot of the material from the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic on it. Even though Jay looks a little uncomfortable, the tape has some great bits and closes with his Jaun Escadero routine and Lefty.

Worth the price just for those bits, frankly.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
juan
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
178 Posts

Profile of juan
Daryl's Fooler Doolers videos: they are not specific about impromptu but have a lot of tricks to do impromptu.
Luis Sirgado
View Profile
New user
Portugal
90 Posts

Profile of Luis Sirgado
Self-working Table Magic, it´s a very nice book to learn something´s related to impromptu magic.

Smile
"One of the greatest accomplishments of magicians in the last century is the ability to take something inherently profound and render it trivial."

-Max Maven-
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
You forgot Tom Mullica has excellent tapes on impromptu magic presented in a comedy style.
Darryl the Wizard Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Best sources of impromptu magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL