The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rabbits? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
Incidentally, if they ask if you use a "live" rabbit, the best response is:
"No, I use a dead one. It might smell a bit, but at least it keeps the flies off the Birthday Cake."

George

ROFLMBO! George, you kill me; congratulations, have a coconut!

Thank you for that laugh, I needed one today! Now I have to get some wet wipes to clean the coffee I sprayed off my monitor! LOL!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
"Of course, Roger had his own way of presenting the idea, which I believe was intended to be humorous. I think the comedy subtlety may have been missed by some."

Very funny, George! I may use that line in future.

I find this forum so interesting, as I have mentioned before, when people seem to take everything so seriously! The whole point of this thread was simply for me to understand why people used rabbits in their show with all the hassles involved, and when there are so many stronger effects out there, in my humble opinion. The stuff I added about the cardboard rabbit was, I would have thought obviously, a joke! People like Danny, Steve, Chris, Kimmo, and others seemed to understand this!! Others took me way too seriously!!

I suggest some of you take a look at the classic Monty Python sketch with John Cleese and the dead parrot! Hopefully, you will find it funny! JR
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I think your humour is too subtle for me, Roger. I tried banging a cardboard cut-out of a deceased Norwegian blue on a table, and it just wasn't funny.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
It's because you are from Northern Ireland, George! It is the southern Irish who understand the Blarney! JR
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
"I'm not dead yet...." Classic Monty python stuff...
When we have been discussing the 3 stooges, Mr. Bean, and Red Skelton, amongst others... I forgot John Cleese, et al.

The killer bunny rabbit sketch might add a whole new twist to kids parties. LOL
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1617 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I carry my bunny in a wicker basket.
During the summer, the basket keeps the bunny cool. The wicker allows air to flow through. During winter, I put a skirt around the basket to keep the cold wind off.
Once in a while a kid would ask if the bunny is in the basket.
The kids see me put the bunny in the basket after the performance. I'd go back to the same house for their sibling's party, and they'd ask, "Where is the bunny"?
I've had kids say, "Tricky Ricky, you have a big lunch basket."
Somehow, they think that I use the basket to carry props, or lunch.
Richard
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2006-11-29 21:42, jolly roger wrote:
http://www.creativemagic.net/kids/biggerwands.htm

Now, if there is lots of funny business leading up to the production of the live rabbit, and you do not believe there is any cruelty involved keeping the rabbit stuffed in the production box for 55 minutes waiting for the furry one's entrance, and you don't mind feeding it, looking after it, and carrying it from show to show, etc.........then, go for it!

I have "went for it" for a long time, and I have never kept any of my bunnies "stuffed in a production box" for 55 minutes. There is no cruelty involved with my rabbits....period! They mean a lot to me, and I treat them well. If I felt that using them the way I do was cruel, then I would stop.

I do agree that lots of funny business leading up to the climax is important, but I think that is true of any magic routine.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Ricky and Regan,
I am still interested to know if you produce the bunny early on the show, or at the end. If your answer is the end, and even if one kid has seen your show before and knows the bunny will be produced and from where, I am unclear how you both and others deal with this? Once again, I am simply asking for information.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
My rabbit production occurs early, usually the 2nd or 3rd routine in my show. My rabbits are not in the boxes very long. I would not want to wait until the end of my show to produce the rabbit. One reason is because my rabbits rarely ever "go" in the box, and I hope to keep it that way. I feel the longer they are in there, the more likely it is that they might. (See, I agree that there are drawbacks to using live animals.)

I don't see why one kid seeing the show would matter any more for a bunny production than it would for most any magic routine. I have a main routine that I use most often, but I have several ways that I produce the bunny. Each different production has it's own unique routine with lots of fun and surprises along the way.

Now, your turn, Jolly Roger. At what point in your show do you produce your rabbit? What if one or more kids have seen your show and your rabbit production before? Are they going to spoil it for the rest of the crowd the next time when they start whispering, "I've seen this before, and it's not a real rabbit."

I am not trying to be critical of you or anyone else for not using a real rabbit. Whether or not to use a real rabbit in a magic show is up to each individual, and I respect it either way. I see legitimate reasons for both sides of the argument. I happened to choose to use bunnies in my show. I have always loved keeping them and sharing the stage with them. I live in a large, country area, so I have a great place to keep them. They are my pets and my magical partners, and I care for them deeply.

On the other side, there is the care and feeding, the housing, the transportation, etc, etc, etc. I certainly realize that a real rabbit is more trouble than a fake one, but for me the extra effort is worth it.

Incidentally, I first started out using a stuffed bunny rabbit. At one of my shows a kid sarcastically stated, "It's not real," and that did it for me. I bought 2 Netherland Dwarfs, and I am happy that I did. I feel it was one of the best decisions I have ever made pertaining to magic. Then again, that is what works for me; I know there are others that feel differently, and I respect that. For me, I feel rabbits add a lot to my shows, and I enjoy them as pets. Hey, I keep a dog and a cat too, and they won't work a lick!
Mister Mystery
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1617 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Hi, Jolly Roger.
I produce the bunny at the end.
I have 5 different bunny productions items. The most popular I use is the bunny from the hat. The children knows that the bunny will appear, and I don't think they really care how you do it.
Using a bunny in your show is a matter of choice. You really don't need to have one.
Our late Len Cooper of "Browsers Den of Magic" uses a spring bunny. In his hands, the bunny comes alive; you'd think it's real.
Richard (Tricky Ricky)
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You can get some very realistic looking bunny dolls at Toys-R-Us. Here's one Jim Gerrish found in a Dollar Store to use with his Chocolate Bunny Box:

It doesn't look all that real when you see it posed in the photo, but in his hands, with minimal movements (like a real bunny - not like a rocky raccoon), kids swear it is real. The secret is to produce it, let one kid (usually the youngest) give it a pat, and then vanish it before they get wise to the ruse. If you LIVE your art, you will also bring it to and from the show in a pet carry cage - one that is painted black inside, and the bunny appears to be asleep with a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the front of the cage. Also, don't forget to remove the store tag from the bunny before putting it in your act!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Quote:
On 2006-11-29 21:42, jolly roger wrote:
One further point that has always puzzled me. If the birthday child and their friends are told before the party that a magician is coming who has a rabbit, how do you hide it from them while setting up, and don't kids ever pester you to see the little creature before the show? I am simply asking for a point of information.....nothing more.

I have never had a problem with this, and in all the years I've been doing this job, it has honestly never occurred to me! My rabbit is transported in a plastic small animal carrier, which has a fitted cloth cover over it to make it resemble the rest of my cases and trunks. Kids sometimes ask if I have the rabbit with me, and I always say that he's not arrived yet and he may show up later on. My first rabbit production occurs halfway through the show - I load him into the bunny bucket a few seconds before this, undercover of my magic table. I don't let anyone pet him at this stage and reprimand him for turning up too early. He then vanishes and is supposed to reappear inside my trunk. My puppet Charlie turns up instead, and I go into a vent routine with him. At the end of the show, the birthday child comes out and the rabbit finally reappears via a different prop.

On two occasions, the rabbit has been seen by the kids before the performance started. One of these was when I let the dad carry him in, and he bounded into the room shouting, "Look kids, I've got the rabbit!!" (important lesson learned there!!) The second was when I didn't shut the door properly, and he actually escaped and was hopping up and down behind me. On both these occasions, I simply omitted the first production and went straight for the vanish.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Anyway, Roger, surely you must get pestered by kids to see the rabbit that you HAVEN'T got? The one you told their parents you were going to bring with you when they booked? Doesn't that put you in an even more difficult position? Smile
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
Quote:
On 2006-11-29 21:48, Danny Hustle wrote:
I have one friend who so heavily markets his furry friend he has to make it the first trick, or the kids won't let him continue the show. They all want to see the dang rabbit! Then, it takes him another 15 minutes to get to the next trick. He loves it as it is a "time killer" and "That rabbit is 90% of my show." He works a lot, but it sure isn't my style. Smile

That's just a poor performer and has nothing to do with having a rabbit.
Let's not get confused here.

Before I did rabbits, my Axtell routine was so hot, they wouldn't leave me alone on repeat performances. I had to learn crowd control, which is a subject within itself.

I now produce my rabbit as a grand finale, end of the show. On repeat bookings, I have different ways of doing things, and I tell the kids from the start that bunny couldn't make it today. This throws them off the scent and adds a real surprise at the end.

Remember - there's no bad tricks, just bad performers.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2006-12-01 10:23, Smoke & Mirrors wrote:

That's just a poor performer and has nothing to do with having a rabbit.
Let's not get confused here.

You have never seen his show. So unless you are a poor performer yourself, and are speaking from your own experience, that comment is nothing but insulting for the sake of being insulting. Smile

Please don't confuse the issue with insults and rhetoric, and try to stay on topic.
There is no need to start flaming when the thread was finally moving along so well.

Thanks,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
There are some great responses here from Richard, Regan, and Kimmo, and I believe I am getting to understand the whole live rabbit thing better than I did at the beginning of the thread. However, it certainly does not convince me I ever want to use one in my show, but that is what makes our profession such fun. We are all different.

I think, however, I may have to get a wicker basket in which to carry in my imitation fur and cardboard critters. That is a great idea, Spellbinder! By the way, I notice there are a number of remote control fur toys on the market this year. I am thinking of using one or two of these in my shows. I think it would be a great idea to say I have a live animal in a box, put it on the floor on it's side, and out scurries the remote-controlled Rabbit or whatever! "Remember - there's no bad tricks, just bad performers."

Smoke and Mirrors.........I totally disagree with this. There are some terrible tricks out there!
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
As far as feeling sorry for the bunnies...
The average rabbit in the wild lives to the grand old age of 3 months, at which time it is often ripped to shreds, live, by a (insert your favorite wild bird of prey here).
The average rabbit spends 70% of it's life in a space the size of a bowler hat with an entrance you could barely get your fist in...in almost total darkness.
The most traumatic thing that most domestic bunnies endure is when they actually have to come out of the box and confront 20 screaming, pawing kids.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Personal matters of choice are going to weigh heavily on this particular item. Perhaps I could figure out a way to have a comedy "bunny" disembowelment, just before making one of the little buggers walk the plank or have 'em swinging from the yard arm.

For me, I have enough hassles in life without adding "Bunny Stress". Are there plenty of strong effects, in fact more than enough for many shows? Yep.

Choose wisely, enjoy your shows and make sure that, most importantly, the kids enjoy your show.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1617 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Lucy --that's my bunny-- is quite used to the noise of the screaming kids. It really doesn't bother her one bit. After using her in hundreds of shows, she's grown accustom to the noise.
The bunny is only a novelty, and is a part of the package I offer.
You may get the first engagement because of the bunny, but it won't get you the repeat if didn't live up to your billing.
You don't have to use a bunny to be successful---Mark Lewis, Dan Hustle, and Jolly Roger are living proof.
As I've said before, "different strokes for different folks".

Richard.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
Before I did rabbits, my Axtell routine was so hot, they wouldn't leave me alone on repeat performances. I had to learn crowd control, which is a subject within itself.

S and M........If they wouldn't leave you alone on repeat performances, why did you stop doing your Axtell routine? Incidentally, I don't think you meant your Axtell routine. I think you meant YOUR routine, using an Axtell puppet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rabbits? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL