The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » John Born's "Meant To Be" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
John Born uses the Joyal stack, FWIW.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
pkmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Paul knight
140 Posts

Profile of pkmagic
Where can I learn the Joyal Stack though? Does Juhn explain this in the book, or do I need to learn it from another source?
Richard Hatch
View Profile
Regular user
Logan Utah
127 Posts

Profile of Richard Hatch
Pkmagic, you can learn about the Joyal Stack at Martin Joyal's site:
http://www.joyalstack.com
It is the subject of his book on memorized deck work, THE SIX HOUR MEMORIZED DECK (1997), published by Hermetic Press but now out of print.
Here is a link to his page showing the stack order:
http://www.joyalstack.com/Pages/Memorize......ack.html
I don't believe the memdeck work in John Born's book is specific to any particular stack.
Richard Hatch
www.HatchAcademy.com
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Richard is absolutely correct; the memdeck work in John Born's book is not stack specific. And John does not give you information about how to learn a memorized deck.

Pkmagic, even though the Joyal book is out of print, you should still be able to find a copy if you look around a bit. (Maybe Richard can help you. Smile ) Of course, you could use any of the other popular stacks, including the Aronson stack and Juan Tamariz's Mnemonica.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
ryesteve
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of ryesteve
I just picked this one up based on the recommendations I've read here and in other threads. I'm only 90 pages in so far, but I have to say I'm quite struck by the ingenuity of Born's ACAAN "solution". I'm quite happy with this pick-up.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ive been reading though but need to learn a Stack, now I hear that Joyal is the simplest, and its out of print "WHY WOULDNT IT BE" Anyway I'm not really into a lot of mem work at the same time I've never given it a shot, so what is my next step fellas?
KLG
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong
348 Posts

Profile of KLG
I'm working on the Tamariz stack and I've found it a lot easier to learn than I expected. The methods taught in Mnemonica is very effective, and is fun to do.
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Quote:
On 2007-07-24 20:21, paisa23 wrote:
Ive been reading though but need to learn a Stack, so what is my next step fellas?

I used new deck order for a MONTH after getting the book, while I practiced, got the routine down and performed. No memorization required, just subtract and add from 13, 26, 39, etc.
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Stevens Magic (John worked there for about five years) has this as well.

Bob Phillips

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=9088
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Joyal stack is what I use, and I had it down in six hours as the title states.
The thought of memorizing a full deck was intimidating, but it truly was very easy.
Memorized deck work, truly does open so many more doors, that I think someone don't truly relize until they actualy get one down.
sparks
View Profile
New user
Charlottesville, Virginia
89 Posts

Profile of sparks
I just received my copy of "Meant To Be"... I ordered it after reading the review in MAGIC (or Genii… not sure which it was). I also just started working on the 6 Hour MD (Joyal) a while back... nice coincidence. My initial look through Born’s book reveals some very creative (if not ingenious) ideas… lots of good stuff in this tome. Born and Joyal will keep me busy for (more than) a while I suspect.
Sparks

It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » John Born's "Meant To Be" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL