The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized Deck Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3361 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I have started to explore the idea of memorizing a deck, but, first I wanted to check out some of the tricks that can be done with a memorized deck to see if it would be worth the effort. I must say that so far I'm not impressed with any of the tricks I have seen using a memorized deck.

The effects are either boring, convuluted, or could just as easily be done utilizing easier methods (ie. a marked deck)

I watched Simon Aronsons DVD #3, and was disappointed that most of the effects require mathematics (not a good thing to do under pressure of performance unless you are really good, math mistakes do happen) or they are so darn boring that they are not worth doing.

Can anybody point me to a trick that after viewing it, will make me take up the task of learning a memorized deck?
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Mystification
Rowdy, To be honest, I have to agree. I think that most magicians use the memorized deck to fool other magicians. Just about every effect that I have seen that uses memory usually could be done with sleights or otherwise. I especially hate deck switches, and most that I have seen require that.

I also don't like putting the deck in my pocket, or other methods of switching.

I would like to see someone demonstrate some really good exciting routines that use memory work and not involve some of the ridiculous counting or math work. Or peeks etc.
frog52
View Profile
New user
Iowa
62 Posts

Profile of frog52
What about Any Card at Any Number?

This effect, if done with a false shuffle, is absolutely impossible to re-construct by a layperson. There is just now way to figure out how it is done.

And all it uses, is a simple substraction (53-n). Is that ¨ridiculous math work¨?

It is the only effect people have offered me 50$ for the explanation.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4290 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quote:
I would like to see someone demonstrate some really good exciting routines that use memory work and not involve some of the ridiculous counting or math work. Or peeks etc.

Huh?

If the math work or peeks are completely invisible to the audience, how is that even a factor.

If adding two digits each below 52 stretches your mental ability, then perhaps memorizing 52 objects and matching them to 52 places might not be the best magic trick for you.

Why should we post a video of an amazing trick just to get you to memorize a deck?
How about just putting forth the effort(which is ridiculously small btw, learning a deck takes < 4 hours front and back)?

As someone who uses a mem deck all the time to fry laymen and magician alike, I feel mildly offended that you sit here, tell us that you aren't impressed with mem deck effects and that we must point you towards a good one just to get you to learn it. If you can't see the utility of having every cards location known to you while still appearing shuffled I don't know what else to say....
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Mystification
You are telling me that you can have a spectator name any card, and any number and you can deal down to that card using a memorized deck? Now that does sound impressive. Havent seen that done though either.

I can say that under pressure, while utilizing patter, it can be difficult to subtract 17 from 49. Now right now, easy, under pressure, mistakes can happen. Especially while trying to remember their card, card position, etc.

Simon Aranson is the King of memorized Deck magic and in his DVD (I have to agree with Rowdy again) it just isn't that impressive. As a matter of fact, his memory deck work is the least impressive part of the 3 volume dvd set.

I have seen some memory deck work, nothing that has absolutly rocked me yet. Not saying their is none out there, but I too would like to be pointed to some resources that actually have effects that really are amazing
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1673 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Well...again I am torn. Yes, my first impulse is to say stay clear, but that is of course because the less doing it the better in my opinion. I know that is cliche, but there it is all the same.

Really, with careful thought, scripting, routining and creativity you can make miracles. There are really strong magic moments with a mem deck.

I myself have been working with one now for about a month or two. It is not something you always need or should use, but it can be the tip the over the wall for the audience that leaves them yours forever when a mem deck is brought into play after 'they' have shuffled ad naseum.

In addition, there are great effects that disrupt the order but the effect with them far, far exceeds the negatives of not being able to use the deck in that set again.

Yea, I like it.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3361 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I am sure that there are some great routines using a mem deck. Maybe I should re-phrase this. How about posting your favorite mem deck routines, I will research them myself, and maybe that will spark the interest I need to start memorizing. Maybe just my bad luck, but the routines I have seen so far have been underwhelming. Now, don't anybody take offense, maybe your routine is different then the ones I have seen!
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4290 Posts

Profile of Daegs
My best advice is to do what all the great mem deck workers did... Memorize a deck, then search out material and figure out what you can create yourself with it.

There are no easy answers, we can't just post a routine here that will sound amazing to get you to memorize a deck. Do the legwork and actually memorize it and then start playing with effects in front of an audience.

Any easy answer you get on here really won't suffice, but if you just want a couple effects that are actually good, go check out this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......2&20

Many of the "best" effects, I agree aren't very good, but even in that thread there are gems hidden.(not to mention all the fantastic things not even mentioned there).

Just memorize the deck and start working on effects!!!!
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3361 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Thanks! I appreciate the link! I think I will start memorizing!
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1111 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Memorize a deck and you will soon relize it improves many effects you do now. Instead of having a card chosen, you can have it named, which will enhance most of the effects you do now.
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
Juan Tamariz has some great examples of really strong memorized deck work in both his video series, The Magic Way and in Mneumonica.

Personally, what I love about mem work is that it allows me to do really clean magic whereby the method does not interfere with the creation of a sense of magic. It is still up to you as the performer to perform entertaining material in an entertaining way.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I included a number of memorized (marked) deck effects on my DVDs, I perform for laymen vs. magicians, and I can tell you that the effects get extremely strong reactions in the real world (applause, laughter, looks of astonishment, etc.). While a number of the effects do use "moves," there are no sleights in the world that by themselves could be used to produce the same results.
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Quote:
On 2006-11-27 06:17, Mystification wrote:
Simon Aranson is the King of memorized Deck magic and in his DVD (I have to agree with Rowdy again) it just isn't that impressive. As a matter of fact, his memory deck work is the least impressive part of the 3 volume dvd set.

what the..! are you serious? don't you think the last part of Everybody's Lazy is worth so much time the effort you spent on memorizing the stack?
for another impressive effect, I like invisible deck effect that can be examined. and it's using memorized deck. also any ACAAN effect
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
For some reason I always think I don't have the energy or memory to memorize a deck.

But then I think that I took the time to memorize a song of which the lyrics are nothing but the names of the chemical elements from the periodic table, lol Well 102 of them heh.

It's "The Elements" by Tom Lehrer
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
BobMillerMAGIC!
View Profile
New user
MN
92 Posts

Profile of BobMillerMAGIC!
Think about this effect:
A spectator names any card, and the card is gone from the deck because the magician took it out hours ago and placed it into a sealed envelope.

Or this one:
A face down card on the table turns out to be the card that the spectator names.

Or this one:
Any card and any number are named. The magician dumps the cards out of the box and hands it to the spectator to count to and it's there! (aka 'Meant to Be').

These are the reasons that I memorized a deck.
PreDate: The NoMem Calendar Trick
http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz
Rael
View Profile
New user
Northern California
88 Posts

Profile of Rael
Bob,

Are you speaking generally or are you thinking of specific, marketed effects for each of these examples. If marketed effects, could you point us in their direction? They sound great. Thanks!
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4290 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Those 3 are all classic effects just using a mem deck, anyone who has done a tabled card prediction, signed card to envelope or ACAAN could do them.

Buy Mnemonica or another source that uses some mem deck magic, all will be revealed.
Rael
View Profile
New user
Northern California
88 Posts

Profile of Rael
Thanks Daegs. I will.
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of Philippe
I have looked but so far have not found any mention of Lewis Jones's Memory Deck. This takes maybe 10 - 15 minutes to learn and it is never forgotten. The memory work is trivial and the set up is random.
Socalesq
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Socalesq
Rowdy, Simon Aronson's stuff is really fantastic, but he himself will admit that he's not the most dynamic performer -- maybe the "boring" aspects to you of his mem deck effects were performance oriented. Check out Michael Close's birthday card trick for a great mem deck trick that keeps the focus off of the deck -- hard to do that one with sleights alone.
icuryy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized Deck Effects (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL