The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Making A Million Dollars A Year in Magic Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
Dennis, this is a very interesting thread. I work full time in a non-magic cement industry. I like the idea of doing maybe a couple shows a weekend for some extra cash, but making a million a year would require some major life style changes for me that I don't think I want to make. But I'm very happy doing what I'm doing now so it doesn't bother me.

I'm amazed and certainly admire those of you who are doing so many shows in a weekend. I'm exhausted just reading what you accomplish. I'm almost 59 and I don't want to be on the run all weekend long after working full time during the week at a very stressful job. This is a great thread though.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
At the current market rates, not many will achieve that million dollar goal. My observation is that a fraction of that will provide a very comfortable lifestyle. And you'll be doing something you thoroughly enjoy.

It's far more important to achieve a good "work-life balance" than it is to earn loads of cash.

If your work makes you happy, you can afford to give yourself some of the luxuries that this life can afford, and you have the time to enjoy your life, then reaching for the stars is a bit pointless.

My goals are much more modest, in fact, I'm not a great believer in "setting goals". I prefer to spend my time on this planet sharing what I have, and hope that in doing so, I will lead a fulfilling life.

I know many wealthy folk, and I see that life has a way of bringing despair and misery to those who believe that wealth will make them happy. Poverty isn't something we embrace - but it doesn't by itself make you unhappy. Selfishness and self-obsession, by comparison, will.

Potty Smile
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
To be honest, it all sounds like a lot of theory and no practice. Has anyone on this thread actually made a million dollars from kids shows? The answer to that is no. You can talk about it all you want, but it doesn't mean anyone is going to do it, or achieve it.

Yes, you can charge the earth for a library show and full-day educational school show at a school 150 miles away from your house. But lets be honest, I wouldn't want to. You charge so much that you can never make the client happy. You travel all day and night, everyday and never see your family. The risk of getting into a car accident due to the amount of travelling drastically increases and the risk of getting speeding tickets etc. also increases. Your so tired from traveling that the show suffers and none of those kids will book you for their own party because your so far away, your price is too high for any of them. Your repeat and referral work will suffer when travelling far from home.

You can charge a birthday party mum and exceptionally high price and they will pay it. But your only doing one show a week and that client now hates you because they had to book you since you were the only one available since everyone else was already booked. But your fee was so high that they are now worried about paying the rent and they blame you! The fact is, ripping of every client we get is not the job we should be doing. Charge a reasonable rate and be happy.
You will make the client happy, get more repeat and referral work. Work more shows each week which in turn brings in more work from those.
Don't go stupid with your price. Don't travel great distances just because you have found the one client willing to pay your stupidly high price.

Here is the secret to becoming rich in all areas in this business:
'Work more gigs at a lower rate closer to home'.
You travel less, spend more time at home and do more jobs because your actually affordable to your local area. Charging stupidly high prices not only effects your bottom line at the end of the year, but also buts a negative image on our industry.

The average wage (before tax) for a till-worker in a supermarket is £12,000 a year for my area. The average a part-time children's entrainer earns is just under £20,000 per year. The average a full-time entertainer earns is £36,000 per year.

Most of us are earning 3 times the average salary of our next-door neighbors. Lets just be happy with that and not try to scrimp every penny from our clients.

Steve
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Of course, it's theory, the point is to look at the possibilities.

Absolutely, working toward satisfaction is more important then money.

Has it been done, yes, but not in a single year. There are quite a few entertainers who make six figures in income.

From my experience, the more money one makes, so does the headaches, however, this thread is focused on thinking about what it is you want, go forth with your ideas, and remember, money is not "everything" or "all important"
Dennis Michael
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Hmmm...I think I go along with most of what Steve said (2 posts above). I've now started to offer "Mini Parties" and other deals, so that cash-strapped parents have more choices. And, I'm working more than ever, strangely also taking more bookings for the top-of-the-range parties!

It's worth checking out the prices for other types of children's parties. For instance, a "Build-A-Bear" party starts at £9 per child. So, 20 kids would cost a minimum of £180. And that's for a VERY lame party. (Most kids really don't want to spend an hour making a teddy bear, they'd rather be having fun!)

"Science Parties" in my area are priced at around £10-£15 per child, again a very expensive option, for a party that the kids will probably find rather dull.
Even "Activity Parties", which involve a minimum of entertainment, cost around £6-£10 per child.

So, realistically, if you offer a good kid's party, you should expect to be able to charge £10 per child or more, a lot of the time. (Make the adjustments according to the prices in your area).

Potty Smile
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

I'm only repeating what I've heard from disgruntled parents. This "competition" doesn't hurt me personally - but because there are companies who invest heavily in advertising, and charge some of the highest rates around, they do get many bookings - usually from unsuspecting parents, who on occasion, have felt furious that they have to pay SO much for "parties" that are less than mediocre. I'm more than happy to praise those who offer good value for money, and provide quality services. But please don't berate me for mentioning that there are those who profiteer by offering glossy ads and false promises.

I don't badmouth these companies to my clients, I'm only mentioning them to give some perspective to entertainers who (hopefully) offer parties which kids will remember for the rest of their lives!

In my area, the kids' entertainment market has become swamped with everyone and his wife, who think that this is a way to make a few quick bucks. Over 500 "entertainers", as well as many other organizations which charge top rates for sub-standard services.

Yes, I do resent the fact that they take away work from the good, hardworking folks I know, who make every effort to provide a superb service.

I'm lucky, because I have a top-rated Google website, and receive lots of inquiries. Those who have lagged behind with their marketing are finding it harder and harder to survive, against a tide of incompetent fools, who have no knowledge of entertainment, but are expert at advertising.
;)
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2010-07-18 15:18, ku7uk3 wrote:
The average a part-time children's entrainer earns is just under £20,000 per year. The average a full-time entertainer earns is £36,000 per year.

Stephen

Where did you get these figures from?

Mark
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2010-07-19 15:30, Potty the Pirate wrote:
I'm lucky, because I have a top-rated Google website, and receive lots of enquiries.

That depends on what you mean by "top rated". Your google ranking is actually only 1 out of 10. I notice you come out top on the google maps (magician brighton or children's entertainer brighton - but that's with your secondary website. Your main website is nowhere to be seen.

However, that's all irrelevant if the bookings are coming in! Do you still advertise in the YP?

Mark
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-07-19 15:51, keeblem wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-19 15:30, Potty the Pirate wrote:
I'm lucky, because I have a top-rated Google website, and receive lots of enquiries.

That depends on what you mean by "top rated". Your google ranking is actually only 1 out of 10. I notice you come out top on the google maps (magician brighton or children's entertainer brighton - but that's with your secondary website. Your main website is nowhere to be seen.

However, that's all irrelevant if the bookings are coming in! Do you still advertise in the YP?

Mark

There are over 20 search terms which bring (one of my) websites to the top of Google. I have 9 websites, 1 principal site, and 8 "satellite" sites. No, I don't advertise in YP, as we've discussed before, it's a waste of money. SEO is important these days, and I've learned that in terms of bringing in new business, it's vital to do this for yourself.
IMHO "Google Maps" is a stronger method of being seen that the regular Google rankings. It's a constant battle to remain at the top of Google, and there are MANY factors which influence your ratings.
Yes, I reveive plenty of enquiries, but as we all know, Google may put your website down the listings at any time, for whatever reasons?
:)
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2010-07-19 16:01, Potty the Pirate wrote:
IMHO "Google Maps" is a stronger method of being seen that the regular Google rankings.

Possibly. I'm wondering if Google will follow suit with Yahoo local and start charging to come out "top" on google maps. As time goes on and YP will eventually cease to exist I think this will become a more cut-throat business.

Mark
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

I'll follow along with Google - at the moment, being top of the "natural listings" is highly desirable. You can also find me by searching for "Children s entertainer sussex", "Pirate Party Sussex", or many other relevant search terms. (As soon as you include the word "pirate", my sites leap high up the rankings.)

Currently, Google charges for "ad words" - I've experimented with this, but am less than happy with the results.

In truth, I am the only full-time pirate entertainer around. I've done my best to provide a website which reflects this, and thankfully, Google recognizes this fact. But don't think I'm complacent. Google is a VERY valuable tool for any business, as the vast majority of searches take place there. When I was NOT top of Google, it was very difficult to attain new business. Magazine and Newspaper ads are a dead loss, you're lucky if you recover your costs.

Should Google try to charge for "natural listings", it would of course, pervert the purity of their searches, and likely another company would come along, who would usurp their position. Remember that Google is used to search for EVERYTHING, not just businesses. My guess is that they are doing so well, and their search methods are SO good, that it will be some time before they "commercialize" themselves to the extent that only paid listings come to the top. That would demean their service considerably, and leave the market open for other search engines to take their place.

Just my opinion. Smile
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Minimum wage for anyone over 22 years old in the UK is £5.80 per hour
You work 8 hours a day = £46.40 per day
You work 5 days a week = £232.00 per week
There are on average 48 working paid weeks per year = £11,136.00

I've upped that amount for my calculations above to cater for bonus pay and working through holidays. But the average wage of the basic till-worker and low level job is £12,000. During this so called 'credit-crunch', a lot of people are working at minimum wage, such as my brothers.

Steve
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Without conversion, I really don't know how much this is in US Dollars.

I gather more money is made with Magic Shows than working for minimum wage.
Quote:
The average a part-time children's entrainer earns is just under £20,000 per year. The average a full-time entertainer earns is £36,000 per year.

The average a part-time children's entrainer earns is just under 30,500 per year. The average a full-time entertainer earns is 55,036 per year. (Converted)
Dennis Michael
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

I don't see how comparing what we do with minimum wage is helpful?! A good entertainer has years of experience, runs their own business, requires a car or van, storage for props; as well as the ongoing bookings, rehearsal, repair of props, and all the rest.

I work pretty hard, and though I love what I do, it has taken many years to reach the point I'm at now.

It would be more realistic to compare our work with others in the entertainment industry - and then the benefits are fairly clear. We don't need to work late into the evenings six days a week, with matinees once or twice in addition. We can accept the work we want, instead of endlessly doing the rounds of auditions. When a job is finished, we have plenty more lined up, we're not "resting". And, a good kids' entertainer earns significantly more than "chorus" members in West-End shows, though probably less than the Principals.

On the other side, we're far less likely to be "noticed" by important directors or producers, and have no chance of promotion. There are few "breaks" for kids' entertainers - even most of the TV kids' show presenters aren't really kids' entertainers - but youngsters with lots of enthusiasm.

This is a profession for those who are happy within themselves, who don't feel the need to become "stars". Accept that you'll be doing this in one form or another for many years, and you'll find that you're remarkably contented. Making a Million Dollars a Year is kinda contrary to the whole ethos of being a kids' show performer - just my opinion.

:)
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Doug, I love what you said and it is "spot on". The purpose of this topic is to think "out of the box" Is it really possible to make a Million Dollars as a magician?

To answer that, one needs to break it down to it's smallest components and re-think the concept. If one can do this with a Million, can one do it with $100,000 thousand, or $50,000?

Absolutely, this IS a profession where happiness is in the giving it to others and receiving it back 10 fold, and there is no dollar amount to that. Being a "star" is an ego thing, I rather the KID be the "star" than I. In that I do feel like the star.

As for making or receiving a million dollars, in my lifetime, I have done it several times, one year making $500,000 but not in magic. I learned there is a method in making a Million, that is if it is a goal. Money did not make me any happier, it made me miserable because what I had to do to get it was against my internal principals but within the law, and using the law. The stress nearly killed me, and I am now paying the price for that stress. Add in those I taught, copied my method and stole my business from under me. I didn't see it coming. Add that to the stress. I don't regret it but I did learn from it. It is part of my past life.

Magic, being in a self-employed business, and not worrying about the next gig is a good feeling. I love what I do, I love helping others, and that joy seems to not get through to others who spend a lifetime making fun of others. They just don't get it. It seems you do. It's not about money.

Now back to the topic. One can "Make a Million Dollars a Year in Magic Shows", if they really want to do it. It is a matter of defining the parameters in an acceptable and obtainable way.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
To make more money (from magic, or whatever enterprise), you might have some psychological barriers you need to overcome. These barriers will hold you back.

Some of them include limiting beliefs about yourself and your abilities, guilt about being rich, comparing your income level to your parents, thinking that rich people became that way because of unethical behavior (and you don't want to become that way), negative attitudes towards people of a different financial class, feeling more comfortable with your current struggle over the change of doing things differently, etc. You might not be self-aware of these beliefs.

A great book that will help you to have a better awareness is T. Harv Eker's "Secrets of the Millionaire Mind." It was a really interesting read.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
I tend to think that wealth and fame should be the side effects or fringe benefits of being good at what you do, rather than 'goals'. My goal is to make people laugh and enjoy myself in the process.

On marketing seminar day at Kidabra, I'll be up in the Smokey Mountains enjoying the scenery Smile
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

What Donald posted is so true. One needs to get rid of that negative baggage and think positive. It is so important.

Kimmo, Also what you said is true. When sincere effort is put forward to be the best, the benefits seem to follow real nicely.

Quote:
My goal is to make people laugh and enjoy myself in the process.

That is a goal, however for many, how to do this requires spelling out the objectives to meet that goal. Focusing just on making people laugh is not an easy process. It requires understanding what makes people laugh. One need to understand, Physical Comedy, Visual Comedy, Verbal Comedy, Audio Comedy and making objectives to incorporate these forms of comedy. To some it comes naturally to others, it requires knowledge and effort.

On Market Day, I am looking forward to Shabum's Lecture on Magic for TV. I will also be looking forward to seeing you at KIDabra!
Dennis Michael
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
In a way, everything YOU do is theory until YOU have done it. Just because someone else did it first doesn't mean you can. Knowing someone did it only gives you the confidence to try yourself.

Donald does bring up a good point. Much of it is in the mindset. The real truth is, we all are already doing what we "think" we should/can be doing. We only move forward as far as our mind will let us go. Not with magic, but I'm no stranger to making a million in a year. I've did it several times, but only after I adjusted my thinking, and became a 'positive doer.' What you think is important but not nearly as important as what you do. I'm all for being a positive thinker, but more powerful than the will to win is the courage to begin. Most people never finish simply because they never start. They allow negative thoughts from others to take over and they never get their feet moving.

But I do strongly agree that money alone should never be the goal. Being able to make a living with something you love doing is worth way more than a million.

Tom
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
As good as your show might be, it alone won't make you a million dollars. You need a good business head and motivation to see ideas / projects through.

The type of person who can sell there show like that, to the right people are rare, and even they need to be lucky somewhat to be put in front of the right person who will be willing to help them along.

To be really successful, you need good people behind you. It can be your wife or family, but they need to answer the phone when your doing shows. They need to send out e-mails in your name when your busy doing something else.
Agents can help, but you need to find the right type and in the right area. For instance, London based for them to be the most useful.

You also need to know how to SPEND money. I have lots of friends whom if they invested their earnings wisely, could be super rich already. Instead they go out and buy fancy cars, lots of alcohol, computer games etc. In means they are always short of cash. Maybe look at investing your earning.

I'm a firm believer that its not how much money you make, its how you spend it that makes you rich.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Making A Million Dollars A Year in Magic Shows (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL