The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » PSI Key (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
936 Posts

Profile of slydini62
I have this and actually it is quite practical for the huge effect you get! I have stunned a number of people over the holidays with us. They had NO explanation!
Swifty34
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Swifty34
Its looks great but I don't know where I am going to get the money toe get it. maybe I can get a loan against next christmas?
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Slydini, where is that detailed review you talked about giving after you got the key?
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
This looks great. I have a few idea's and subtleties for it already. Next week baby! I'm looking forward to it.

Any other reviews? I would love to hear them.

j.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Yes, there is another thread with actual reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......09&3

One reviewer said:

"I received mine yesterday, I really disappointed with it. Very very hard to make it straight( I mean as flat as an original key ) Timing is very hard to handle.Always have 10 degree bended. My worst purchase of year 2006."
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
Making is straight does take a little time and patience. But it can be done in a minutes or so ...

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
936 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Piers, you are correct...

It just takes a little patience...this is something some magiicians on the Café don't have!

I just floored about twenty spectators with this effect last night...try using the key so it bends into the spectator's hand. They will feel the key bending into their hand.
Jessiah
View Profile
Inner circle
J E S S E S M A G I C
1074 Posts

Profile of Jessiah
This sounds CRAZY! I will definitely get this when I get home (and make sure I have enough loot...).

PIERS, can you PM me about the straightening... I was just curious what was required to do this. If not, I can ask someone at the shop. Thanks

HAVE A GREAT NEW YEARS EVERYONE!
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Jessiah,
You can get a fact sheet from the Creator I believe. My only question is this; is it possible to damage the key while re-setting it? The reset as I understand it should not be much of an issue, but a few people seem to have small problems.

Anyhow, Psi-Key looks super clean and I'm looking forward to working with it.

Blessings in 07'
-j.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Slydini62 (still waiting for his detailed review)suggested on another thread :

"You need to make it straight a little at a time using the straightener tool. Put the entire holder in thr freezer also...never had a problem with the key trying to bend early"

That may work. When I had problems with that type of metal, a freezer would come in handy. The effect looks nice when it works, but the old fashioned way of bending a key can look very impressive and you don't have to worry about freezing sprays and putting a key in a freezer.

If someone is willing to go through all that, there are at least 2 Café members trying to sell their keys for as low as $300.

Have a great New Year everyone!
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
936 Posts

Profile of slydini62
I will not be posting a review based on the tone of this thread. Sorry...
joyce
View Profile
New user
Singapore
41 Posts

Profile of joyce
Ibd1Mon99,

"I had a fork made out of the temperature sensitive metal. Same problems. Did you try putting it in a freezer for awhile?"

I try to reply your question ,but that thread have been locked. Here is my answer:

Yes, I have put it in a feezer. It can go flat and straight after a few hours. BUt the problem is when it out of the freezer. It will bend up very quickly, you don't have enough time to do your patter. Although it was not all bended up only 10 to 15 degree bended up. But this already very obvious and cannot handout for spectators' inspection before the bend ! If it is a fork no one will notice this little bended up because the fork's handle have a curve. BUT THIS IS A KEY a little bended up the spectator will notice this is not a ordinary key.

Also my key Never bended up ( no such great angle)like the photo as the ad. on Hocus Pocus's site. And CANNOT bend up as fast as on the demo video. I think may be the heat of the shooting light make it bending very fast.

I don't think you can put it on the spectator's hand for bending effect. Everyone will feel it is chill cold.

As a conclusion, this is only a prop for TV performance. If you like to do street magic. OK.. you can but don't forget to bring along with a freezer and a heater.

This is my ture review for PSI key. And this is the fact. if anyone who own the PSI key have ways to solve these problems please pm me.

For me ,I am disappointed with it and it is my worst purchase of year 2006 which lay inside my mailbox on Dec 28, 2006
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Yes, unfortunately the effect really depends on temperature. They supply the freeze spray and some pouch to keep cold, etc. but as you said, you can't really put it in a specs hand unless you can explain handing them a cold key on a warm day. That type of metal WILL work under ideal conditions with the perfect timing and getting lucky on the temps, but with all those factors to deal with and no guarantees it will work as planned, I just can't see the point.

You may as well just keep it as a conversation piece. People aren't having too much luck selling theirs , at least on the Café. The bending fork I had that works on the same principle as the key cost over $600.00 new and I ended up sellling it for under $100. Live and learn.

Jeff
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
936 Posts

Profile of slydini62
To solve the cold key problem, I have the spectator place the key in a small suede bag and have the spectator cover the bag with both hands. When bag is opened, key is bent. Simple enough...Gotta think...OK??? Use your imagination!!

This was one of the best buys for me in 2006!!
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Slydini62 said:

"To solve the cold key problem, I have the spectator place the key in a small suede bag and have the spectator cover the bag with both hands. When bag is opened, key is bent. Simple enough...Gotta think...OK??? Use your imagination!!"

I had to read that a few times to make sure I got it right. So your "thinking" is to pay that kind of money so the spectator can VISUALLY see the key bend, only to have to put the key in a thick bag, and have them cover the bag with both hands??? And that's the best trick you bought in 2006? As long as your happy, that's all that counts.

Maybe that routine will work for some that have the same problem though. Good luck with it and have a great New Year.
Jessiah
View Profile
Inner circle
J E S S E S M A G I C
1074 Posts

Profile of Jessiah
The key just needs to get cold before the performance in a logical way. Here are a couple of thoughts...

One is to buy a cold soda can, and rest the already cold key on the can first. Tell them the cold can makes the key cold, thus making the bending of metal a little harder!

I was wondering if anyone could routine it around a cold drink... you could actually keep it in a cup of ice water (or in your pocket with a cold pack). You explain to people how metal bends in extreme heat. Then you make the effect even more impossible by dipping your key(s) in ice water first. Just a thought.

Also, do you guys know about those fake ice cubes that can drip water. Maybe you could have the key in your pocket, folded in a cold ice pack (one of those gel ones). You show a plastic ziplock bag with some fake ice cubes in it. Take your key chain out of your pocket with the cold key and drop it into the bag with the ice. You could even take out an ice cube to show its nice and cold, and wet. Then you can take the key out and put it in their hand. With any of these setups, the spectator might expect a really cold key. This should work well, any thoughts from actual owners? Im interested in getting one, but unsure how useful it would be for my particular style... -Jesse
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Jesse, those are some good ideas on to how to address the cold key issue. I like the way you think.

Since the bending fork I had uses the same principle as the bending key, I can speak as to the basic principle of the prop. There are issues about how slow or fast it will bend or even when it will bend before you remove it from its "cold storage". In theory, using this metal for magic is a great idea. Unfortunately theory doesn't always relate to practicality. I don't know if your style would have anything to do with the finicky properties of the metal itself.

Jeff

p.s. Is your new effect on track? I can't find the thread on it.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Slydini62 wrote:

"I have the spectator place the key in a small suede bag and have the spectator cover the bag with both hands. When bag is opened, key is bent."

That was driving me crazy. I knew I heard a similar routine before but couldn't think of where. I just remembered.

Xpert by Neil Tobin has a routine where you do pretty much what Slydini62 does except with normal coins (and you don't need a bag). I was thinking about it and I'm sure it could be done with keys if a simple variation of his routine is used. With the gimmick you get with Xpert, you could even have the spectator mark the key before it bends in his hands. I'm going to go to the hardware store later and pick up a few keys and try it.

I know this is a thread about PSI Key, but since the comment that gave me the idea came from this thread about a possible handling of PSI Key, I figured this was the best place to put it.

Jeff

p.s. It might seem like I'm being hard on this effect, but I'm really not trying to. It's just that I've had experience with this type of material before and just wanted people to know before they make a relatively big investment that it's not just a simple "take a key out of your pocket and put it in their hand to bend" type of trick. The simplest way to put it is that you are at the mercy of the key. I like the ideas that Yves Doumergue came up with to try and make it work better than the bending fork, but that darn metal can be very user-unfriendly. Maybe someone will come up with an idea to control it better and post it in this thread. I wish him success with this.
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
936 Posts

Profile of slydini62
I stunned a number of people with PSI Key at a New Years party that I performed over the weekend. Enough said and I will not post anything else. To each his own....

I actually put the key on my hand and have the spectator place their hand on mine over the key. No-one ever mentioned the cold key because they are holding my hand.

I continue the bend by rubbing the neck of the key.

Everyone is thinking way too hard here....Keep it simple!
Jessiah
View Profile
Inner circle
J E S S E S M A G I C
1074 Posts

Profile of Jessiah
You can never think to hard bro! Smile I think your right, just keep it in your hand... they might even think your doing something tricky when you really are completely clean. I see this a lot when I'm just holding an object, and someone will be grilling my hand, waiting for me to do some magic trick, or trying to catch that "secret" move... when in actuality, Im holding a deck of cards or my wallet, etc... haha

Ibd1Mon99: Write Angle is on track for next week!!! YES! Do a search for "Jessesmagic" or "Write Angle" to find the thread... PSI Key and Write Angle would be a great combo. This is why I am so interested. Im trying to routine all my pen effects together in a very magical way! I going to check out Xpert too... Thanks guys!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » PSI Key (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL