We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Good angle proof trick for party (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
zerofire
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of zerofire
Hi All,
This is my first time to post a thread, hope some of you can help me out.
I am going to perform in a x'mas party. There would be a lot of people, and I have to hop to each table and surrounded when I perform. I need some angle proof trick, so when I perform, those people who sit next to me won't see all the flashes.
Any recommendation? I am ok with coins or cards, anything~
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1739 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Professors Nightmare, Wild Card , Cut & Restored Rope , Scotch & Soda , Eight Card Brainwave, Color Monte, Coin Matrix ,
Actually the more I think about this, the list goes on...There are many you can do..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Like Rennie says, "There are many you can do."
Just play it close to the chest if need be.

With Christmas just two weeks away, and my not knowing what you know or the resources you have, review the tricks that you already know and consider ways to improve angles with those.

Make sure you position yourself in a good spot before performing.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
"Clippo" works extremely well in close-up!

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Any trick is "angle-proof" with good misdirection Smile Seriously though, I'd have to think that the majority of the effects that I do are basically angle-proof. Just off my head I'd give "Sam the Bellhop," a story trick involving the entire deck by Bill Malone.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Find a nice corner, somewhere there isn't furniture. Maybe a wall, with a small table in front of you (assuming you do table stuff). Your back to the corner or wall of course. Otherwise it would be more confusing to the audience. The wall might enjoy it.......
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I'd say coin under watch, signed card to wallet, ACR, chop cup (Martin Sanderson) and bill in Kiwi.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
zerofire
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of zerofire
Thanks all!
I have been practising magic for a year only, but I should be ok with some basic sleight of hand. If anyone of you can recommend me some good DVD that have a nice routine suitable to perform in a crowded pub, that will be appreciate.
May I know what is Clipper and ACR?
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
ACR is an abbreviation of the Ambitious Card Routine.

Clippo is a cut and restored with strips of paper.... I guess would best describe it.

Since your new you might find the search feature handy (I do) on the top left under the Café sign. If you don't understand what someone means, look it up, and chances are it has been discussed... everything has been discussed at least once.

Have Fun!

Do you have a magic shop nearby, or, like me, are you bound to the net for purchases?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Some self working card tricks are always a good starter
Cards never lie
zerofire
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of zerofire
Thanks again!
I should have guessed what is ACR
In Hong Kong, we can't do ACR anymore, after you show the first back to the top effect, all of them will just say they have seen it many times, and what I am going to do simply make it jump to the top....
Yea, there are so many magic shop nearby, but the culture here maybe slightly different from other countries. They tend to keep asking us to buy props instead of discusiing or recommending tricks to us.

Can you recommend some nice self working tricks?
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Invisible deck?
Jolyon Jenkins
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Pro Nightmare, and ID are two great effects for this type of work.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Harry Lorayne's Poker deal from Close-up Card Magic. Great closer, almost self working, easy set up.
Smiffy
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Smiffy
The rising deck I find to be the self working trick that gets the best reactions. I also highly recommend the invisible deck. I perform the invisible deck by getting people to call anyone in the world, putting their phone on speaker, and having the person name a card, and remain on the phone while I reveal the face down card so they hear the screams...
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I recently met a restaurant magician who is only doing self-working stuff. Guess what, he delievered a great show . . .
Cards never lie
Robert-o
View Profile
New user
Sunny Glendale, Arizona
39 Posts

Profile of Robert-o
Andy , that's really good to hear. It sounds simple yet effective. I like the KISS method.Sometimes doing just self-working stuff with good patter is all you need.
"Hey... How'd you do that?".
Smiffy
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Smiffy
Las Vegas Leaper. It involves a spectator counting 10 cards themself, then sitting on them. The magician also takes ten cards. His ten are reduced to 9, then 8, then 7. The spectator takes her cards again... And she has 13. Totally angle proof unless people can see underneath at the beginning. But that's just silly.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3645 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Per a couple of posts above, get an "invisible deck". It's the best "self-working" card miracle available. Also get a matching stripper deck. With these two, you can blow people away.

To get away from cards, buy a Scotch and Soda; also Matchbox penetration is an excellent close-up effect. The are also many different ring flights availabe which play good to this type audience.

Jim
Dr Gareth
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Dr Gareth
Splash bottle , nice big and visual Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Good angle proof trick for party (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL