The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Sales calls can be fun. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Well, this month I am going all out on sales. I am out knocking on doors to get restaurant business and my wife is on the phone doing follow up calls on 2 mailings I sent out a week ago. One to day care centers and one to nursing homes. Ruth has always been the face painter and quiet partner and this was her first time doing phone sales. I should have told her but didn’t.

She was on the phone about 30 minutes when my cell phone rang, from the sound of the ring I should have known. When I answered the first words I hear are “you son of a …. Why didn’t you warn me!” OK, what happened? Well she called this one day care center with a religious name and the director bluntly told her “Magic is the work of Satan! We don’t allow Satan anywhere near our children! Don’t send me any more letters and don’t call me again, YOU are Satan’s Tools.”

I shouldn’t have laughed when she told me this but at least I wasn’t in the same house so she couldn’t hit me with anything. She stayed on the phone and booked 2 shows after that, she’s turning into a real sales pro.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
HMMMMM was it pentecostal?
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
After 20 years in the Pentecostal Church, and 10 of them as a Pastor, I can honestly say, "Been there, encountered that!" Smile

Instead of doing magic in the church, I ended up doing "object lessons" with a message. ;-)

Brian
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1296 Posts

Profile of nucinud
It still amuses me that people believe that satan is a part of our magical craft.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2429 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2006-11-28 12:33, nucinud wrote:
It still amuses me that people believe that satan is a part of our magical craft.

He's NOT?!?!

You mean, all those children I've been kidnapping from my shows and sacrificing to Satan, that was all for NOTHING?!?!

Gee whillikers!

---------------------

The worst I've had is a call for a clown, and we were fairly far into it when I enumerated the features of my package - and got "Oh, no ... we wouldn't want any magic!"
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I had a friend who was doing strolling magic at a mall grand opening. Shortly after approaching a small group of people, They layed hands on him and prayed for his soul to be saved.

He prayed along with them, but was rattled the entire rest of the gig...

Lyndel
HypnotizeAmerica
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of HypnotizeAmerica
I was thinking of sending a mailing out to the local churches for my hypnosis fundraiser program but wonder if that is such a smart idea.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1296 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Ross,
Return those children immediately. Oh, wait you can't, they were all sacrificed. Oh well.

Lyndel,
I am more afraid of those people who want to save my soul then those who want to buy it.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Interesting, I have had the same problem trying to book a Svengali Pitch for flea markets and craft shows that are sponsored by churches.

The first time it happened, I figured it was just a fluke. I sent in my table fee and it was returned with a note saying that at craft shows, people make something out of nothing, while magicians only make things disappear, and so magic was not acceptable. I attributed it to temporary insanity on the part of the show organizer.

The second time, I was told flat out that no "magic" was permitted at a craft show in a religious school (denomination omitted to protect the innocent).

So now I don't bother calling any church-sponsored craft shows, and I stick to street fairs and festivals, where I generally do better anyway. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1073 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Paddy, how you coming along on the restaurant gigs?

And regarding your daycare marketing strategy, were you waiting by the phone after the mailings OR after the mailings, you contacted the daycares?

Thanks.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I find sales calls absolutly horrifying!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
HypnotizeAmerica
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of HypnotizeAmerica
I am marketing to schools (two states) and was thinking that Youth Groups are looking for a way to raise money and offering a no risk, no cost fundraiser would be thing for them to enjoy. Maybe I should just add a state or two to my list of schools and just focus on them. Thoughts?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Depends completly on scheduling. IF you can get enough in the places you have great. BUT if you expand too far you eat yourself alive in expences. Not a smart thing either.

Depends on what states you mean. Texas should be big enough to do all on its own.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2429 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2006-11-28 15:12, nucinud wrote:
Ross,
Return those children immediately. Oh, wait you can't, they were all sacrificed. Oh well.

Let's be fair ... I could return what's left of them. Cluttering up my dungeon, actually.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2006-11-28 15:20, itsmagic wrote:
Paddy, how you coming along on the restaurant gigs?

And regarding your daycare marketing strategy, were you waiting by the phone after the mailings OR after the mailings, you contacted the daycares?

Thanks.

I have run into a number of restaurants taht tell me "we have a person who comes in for free and just gets tips." I have started to include a copy of my IBM insurance and my wife's Clows of the U.S. insurance with the other pictures I hand out. When I had the G.M. of Cheeseburger In Paradise tell me that they had a guy doing free work I handed him the insurace sheets and just asked him "Does he have this so you're not liable if he screws up?" I have to go back and see this place tomorrow when both partners will be there.

As for thye stratagy I use. I mailed out 2 mailings, one to day cares and one to nursing homes, waited one week then got on the phone and started calling. The only reason I waited a week was to make sure that they all arrived. I did book 4 shows during that week from places that called me first. That was nice.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Sales calls can be fun. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL