The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Warning for American Bill Users!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,232503,00.html

Paper money is now discriminatory towards blind citizens who can not fairly tell one bill from another.

What can we expect in the future:

Different Textures
Different Sizes
Bumps (braille like)

This may have some major impacts (both positive and negative) upon bill magic.

Derek Merdinyan
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
To access the above address, which is valid, you must copy and paste it into your browser. The commas in the address prevent the hyperlink from being complete.

Also, this has been tried before so many times that it will be a LONG time before anything actually happens. This is bound to be some liberal judge somewhere who's decision will be challenged and it will end up in a higher court on appeal.

Mark.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
639 Posts

Profile of Conus
This opens up all kinds of new possibilities. Bring it on!!!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If someone wants to change a bill of one denomination into another denomination, and the bills differ in size, just modify the fold that you're using. I think that a difference in texture would make a little more sense that a change in size. I'd think that texture is harder to counterfeit than size would be.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I'll probably sound like a jerk for saying this but screw it. TS for them. They, a minority, need to adapt to the world. Not the world adapting to a minority. But I am Canadian so I don't need to worry about that. Worst I have to deal with is our different colour currency. There is a thing as being too PC as well.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I'm with Joey, even if he is a Canadian.

:)
Aim To Amaze
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I agree, it's an overly PC thing. If more people in the U.S. were indignant over little things, like they are now, we'd be....the French. Smile But, then again, we'd finally understand why some people find Jerry Lewis to be funny. Smile
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Wee..Wee..Monsieur.

Mark. Smile
Astrid
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
63 Posts

Profile of Astrid
Working for a bank I have heard several rumors of such changes, but have been assured that should such a change take place, we would have several YEARS of notice because of not only the amount of time it would take to create said bills, but also because of the time it would take to change all of the bill counting technology that federal banks and billions of businesses worldwide rely on. Personally, because I work with money so darn much I look forward to a more interesting looking/feeling bill....but that's just me. ;-)
Robert-o
View Profile
New user
Sunny Glendale, Arizona
39 Posts

Profile of Robert-o
My neighbor is blind and he has no problems. He just keeps his money in seperate banded stacks so he can tell just by grabbing it as to which denomination he is holding. He says that they did it for this many years, why change it now? It's all pc stuff.
"Hey... How'd you do that?".
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2006-11-28 19:27, mrunge wrote:
This is bound to be some liberal judge somewhere who's decision will be challenged and it will end up in a higher court on appeal.

Mark.

Hey now, play nice! I'm a liberal, but not all of us are PC nuts! This is a hare-brained decision from the lunatic fringe.
By the way, I like Jerry Lewis too!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3212 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Conus wrote:
Quote:
This opens up all kinds of new possibilities. Bring it on!!!

I agree. Sure, somethings won't be possible that can be done now, but some of those routines could be adapted, for example, you could still write a check for $100.00 and then change it into a $100 dollar bill. Checks can be any size you want.

The different sizes will allow more possibilities, just like different size coins do. It will be easier to hide one or more bills behind another, possibly even without folding them. Or, two bills can be made into an envelope that hold a smaller bill. I'm sure there are more ideas.

Having 51 different types of quarters - that is an annoyance! There's probably some way to use that too, perhaps choosing a state in a mental magic routine.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-01-02 17:02, Bill Hallahan wrote:

Having 51 different types of quarters - that is an annoyance! There's probably some way to use that too, perhaps choosing a state in a mental magic routine.

I played around with using those so-called "collectable" quarters a few years ago, you know the ones that have the state pictures painted?. I had the idea of taking a regular quarter and making it technicolor, but I never really came up with a routine I liked.

I always make sure I have at least 1 or 2 "old" quarters in my pocket so I can still do "Liepsig's Pride"

By the way the shrimpy Dollar coin is about to raise it's hideous head again, this time in a series of small Dollar coins issued with the US Presidents on them, several a year, for decades to come, ARRGGGGHHHHHH
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
SteveTheMagician
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of SteveTheMagician
That deffinetly opens up more possiblities for more amazing magic! bring it on!

imagine having a green one (normal size) and a large ...i dunno... red five, then making them switch sizes but stay the same color... that'd be cool

:-D

-steve
Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
Personally I don't see how braille money would work anyway. A few folds and hours in a pocket or wallet and its done for. How many times have we seen well worn currency show up.

Do they sugest making the money out of plastic?!?!?!?

Just a bunch more PC crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards,

Mark
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Well about the plastic remark, have you ever felt Australian money? Practically impossible to tear that stuff.

But upon inspection of our money, Canadian bills, there are already braille like marks on the bills.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Conus
View Profile
Special user
639 Posts

Profile of Conus
Referencing Bill Hallahan & DStachowiak
Quote:

Check out my version of Leipzig's coin to glass using any borrowed and marked state quarter.

The trick is in The Collected Soapbox Derby at feenx.net.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2555 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I think it's good that at last the visually impaired in the USA are also going to be able to apprieciate a bill switch.

(apologies to any blind people that might be offended...although come to think of it they're not going to be reading it....oh God I'm making things worse....)
Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
HeyLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, VA (D.C. suburbs)
128 Posts

Profile of HeyLockwood
I find it interesting that so many people here are so eager to sh!t on the blind. Magic is a fairly visul art, no? One would think there might be a bit more compassion. How would we like to go through life, taking other people's word that a certain bill belongs in a certain rubber band?

Incidently, Canada already has a braille-like system in place.

Believe me, I'm not a PC kind of guy. But this just struck me as odd...

At any rate, it will be interesting to see what new challenges and opportunities the new currency brings us.

~Mike
Why doesn't it tickle when I tickle myself, but it still hurts when I stick a fork in my eye?
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
Quote:
On 2006-12-16 11:23, Joey Stalin wrote:
I'll probably sound like a jerk for saying this but screw it. TS for them. They, a minority, need to adapt to the world. Not the world adapting to a minority. But I am Canadian so I don't need to worry about that. Worst I have to deal with is our different colour currency. There is a thing as being too PC as well.

I agree that the world has gone PC crazy but at the same time I'm surprised by some of what I am seeing on this thread... if there's a way to help those who have a major disadvantage in life I am for it. If the cost is having to rethink a few ways to do a magic trick, I think that is a small price to pay.

I don't know if this effort makes real sense or not... this is the first I've heard of it...but I certainly wouldn't want to dismiss it because of some magic effects. Jeez.

Also, Not that it really matters to me but I am not certain who the minority is in this case.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Warning for American Bill Users!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL