The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Warning for American Bill Users!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Gary Richards
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Gary Richards
Interesting thread, for a number of reasons. Here's a story about some magic I witnessed, performed years ago, by the first blind scout to ever achieve the rank of Eagle. For lifesaving merit badge he was required to stand on the beach, fully clothed, his back to the water. At the sound of screaming, he was required to spin around, spot the victim, disrobe to his swimsuit, charge into the water and rescue the victim, who, following the sound of his scream, did a surface dive and went out of sight, leaving only ripples to indicate location. I watched, mesmorized, as this particular scout, blind from birth, swam straight toward the sound of screaming, dove for the victim, wrestled him into a rescue hold, and then turned around and towed him safely to shore. And while I have always been fascinated by how he managed to locate the victim just by sound, an even bigger wonder for me, and one which has haunted me for years is this: After wrestling and thrashing around in the water, how did he know which direction the shore was in? I asked him about it later, and he smiled, and said, "Oh, I just knew." I always had the distinct impression that he saw more without eyes than I did with them. There's magic, and then there's Magic.
Mysterioii
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Mysterioii
First off, anyone in this thread that essentially is saying "screw the blind" is a heartless ahole. Anybody can be disabled in many different ways at anytime, these people sure as hell didn't choose it, and they by and large do a fantastic job of adapting to this world. That being said, the government (at least, a GOOD government) serves it's people, ALL of it's people, in the best way it can. The blind pay taxes too. This is why government facilities tend to be made the most accessible, the most "PC", because they DO have a responsibility to serve the citizenry as best they can. Sometimes there are conflicts and it's up to "the system" to sort it all out.

Secondly, did everyone bother to read the article? Apparently many blind people aren't even pushing for this or care about it...

"But John Paré, director of public relations for the National Federation of the Blind, the nation's largest organization representing blind people, said identifying the money is hardly the most difficult obstacle for the blind to overcome.
The focus for improving the lives of blind Americans needs to be put on earning money not figuring out how to identify money," he said. "Over 70 percent of blind Americans are under-employed or unemployed and this is what needs to be addressed.
"It really is distracting to have this lawsuit," he said, since assistance should concentrate on people "who don't have the money in the first place."

Furthermore a representative of the company that brought the lawsuit said:

"I don't think it quite matters as long as it allows for identification without sight," she said of any proposed changes. "Sooner is better" but it "depends on the changes being used." ACB is not going to demand of Treasury "wild and crazy changes, you have to do it now," she said.

So before we assume that we'll end up with dissimilar sizes and colors, consider that, if ANYTHING happens, we may end up with a couple of little bumps to ignore. If it really bothers you, send a letter to the treasury department or start a petition or something. You'll look like an idiot.
P.T. Murphy
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of P.T. Murphy
Most every country has differing colors and sizes for each denomination of bill. If you want to know how to do a great bill switch with foriegn money send me an e-mail. Or check out my effect "Eugene's Last Dollar" on YourMagic.com. The instructions had a method for U.S. Dollars, Pound Notes and Euros. But I have adapted my method to work with Japanese and Chinese bills as well. It actually works better when the size and color of the bills differ.

SHAMELESS self promotion I know...but this topic is PERFECT for it!
P.T. Murphy
www.ptmurphy.com
Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
I hold nothing against the blind; we could all share this same fate at any time.

BUT, how many BILLIONS of dollars will this cost and how many people will really benefit?

When it comes down to it, I don't mind if the bills end up being different colors and or sizes.

I just mind the cost and reason for the change.

I also resent being told I MUST support some one or pay the cost for someone else.

I do not like being told "If even ONE person or child is helped, it is worth the cost"!!

BS
People tell me that I must pay for this or that, without ever weighing to cost verses BENEFIT ratio!

Let those people who want ME to pay for THEIR generosity with MY money, pay themselves with THEIR money. When some one wants to give THEIR own money away, I could care less. They can do as they please!

We all face all things we can and cannot do, every day. We all make choices for ourselves every day. We discriminate against ourselves and our own needs (and wants) EVERYDAY! Those of us who are REASONBLE and MATURE, realize the world does not always revolve around US.

We should also be able to discriminate against OTHERS and THEIR need (or WANTS) if we want WITHOUT being told WE are WRONG.

People are: Sad, frustrated, in want, EVERYDAY! And it is not their Neighbors responsibility to take care of them.

Yes it is Christian and kind to help others, but not to be FORCED to. Charity begins in the home, with your own family.

Some things do come with a price tag much too high for the results obtained.

Remember the Constitution of the United States guarantees only the "Pursuit of Happiness" not the guarantee that we WILL be happy.

Please pardon my rant, but ALL this entire PC crap is having a dreadful toll on this country and the cost is swiftly becoming more than we can ALL bear.

M
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
Mysterioii
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Mysterioii
First off, you apparently have no concept of how our society works. And you still apparently didn't read the part about how MOST blind people aren't pushing for this and how the director of public relations for the National Federation of the Blind considers this a distracting and frivolous lawsuit.

Secondly, you rant about how your tax money is being spent. The blind pay taxes too, the government must also consider their wants and needs. "A government for the people and by the people" or something like that, afterall.

>>"I also resent being told I MUST support some one or pay the cost for someone else..."
Well I don't care much for the welfare system either but it is what it is, so if you don't like it say so with your votes or find somewhere else to live that pleases you more. If you don't want to print YOUR money in any special way, then the state of Mark R. Williams can do whatever it wants. However the American government has to address the concerns of it's citizenry as they are brought up. Sometimes "the system" displeases some people. T.S., it's our system, so if you don't like it then vote for someone else or try to find a country that pleases you better.

>>I do not like being told "If even ONE person or child is helped, it is worth the cost"!!
Who said that here? Nobody. If one person in the world had a head the size of a small car the government isn't going to make all public buildings have doors big enough for his monster head to fit through. However when "the system" decides that a subset of society is significant enough in numbers that some provisions need to be made I find it commendable that they make some provisions.

>>Charity begins in the home, with your own family.
Irrelevant, this isn't charity, it's the government being responsible to a subset of it's citizenry.

>>Let those people who want ME to pay for THEIR generosity with MY money, pay themselves with THEIR money.

This is tax money, it IS their money too. If you think you're paying too much in taxes then by all means vote for the next politician that promises to reduce them for you.

>>People tell me that I must pay for this or that, without
>>ever weighing to cost verses BENEFIT ratio!
Of course they do.

>>People are: Sad, frustrated, in want, EVERYDAY! And it is not their Neighbors responsibility to take care of them.

Again you have no concept of how taxes and society work. You don't have to do anything more on the side, but your taxes are forfeit for the govt. to do with as it sees fit, and hopefully it uses it for the betterment and protection of it's citizens. If you're displeased with how your ex-money is spent, go write some letters and change who you vote for.

>>We should also be able to discriminate against OTHERS and
>>THEIR need (or WANTS) if we want WITHOUT being told WE are WRONG.
Of course you can, you're not the government. You can print your own money however you want, just don't expect them to take it at Wal-Mart. in the mean time, pay your taxes.

>>BUT, how many BILLIONS of dollars will this cost

Billions? Are you freakin' serious?? Hmm, rounding down I'm going to say none. If you read the article and the other posts you'd see that nobody is REALLY pushing for everything to be different sizes and colors, not even the group that brought the lawsuit... They just want SOMETHING to help tell the bills apart, which can be as simple as a few braille-like dots or notches pressed or cut into the bills at the time of printing. The actual cost of putting a bump or two on the next line of printing plates that gets designed, oh lets go out on a limb and say $10K on the prototype. With govt. overhead and overspending maybe a couple million. Fairly insignificant. A bump or notch on a bill would NOT require any redesign or redeployment of all the myriad bill readers all over the place... those things are already robust enough to accept the rattiest torn up toilet-paper-like bills floating around, I'm sure an almost imperceptible bump won't cause them a problem. And your astounding bill switches would remain unaffected.

>>Remember the Constitution of the United States guarantees only
>>the "Pursuit of Happiness" not the guarantee that we WILL be happy.

Haha, great point, remember that. You're the one that's unhappy here. By your own logic, you've got nothing to complain about.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2006-12-16 11:23, Joey Stalin wrote:
I'll probably sound like a jerk for saying this but screw it. TS for them. They, a minority, need to adapt to the world. Not the world adapting to a minority. But I am Canadian so I don't need to worry about that. Worst I have to deal with is our different colour currency. There is a thing as being too PC as well.

Yes there is such a thing as TOO PC, but this is NOT it.

Although I know that the blind have developed their own ways to distinguish between bills by folding them different ways.

They still need to know initially what the bill is.

But think about how people could be cruel and lie about the bill a blind person is using to buy something with?

I think the braile is the best bet as it requires no re-design of the bill. Canadian bills have had braile for years now.

I don't see what different colours have to do with helping the blind though. The visually impared and those not completely blind, sure.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
adramindmagic
View Profile
Regular user
East St. Louis
106 Posts

Profile of adramindmagic
I can't see (Pub intended) on a whole nation changing it's money just for this reason. Then again I didn't predict Bush would win again either.
I love magic!
Mysterioii
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Mysterioii
Well we're constantly changing our bills as we go forward to thwart counterfeitting attempts anyway. Watermarks, new inks, splashes of color, etc. Nobody is asking for an immediate change. For cryin' out loud it could boil down to designing in a couple of braille bumps on the next round of new bill designs that we'd be putting out anyway. Net cost: practically nothing, just wait until the treasury department makes other changes.

They already do looney things like state quarters, funky new nickels and now the presidential dollars that in my opinion are MORE problematic for magicians and just plain unneccessary in general.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Quote:
On 2007-03-05 15:13, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-16 11:23, Joey Stalin wrote:
I'll probably sound like a jerk for saying this but screw it. TS for them. They, a minority, need to adapt to the world. Not the world adapting to a minority. But I am Canadian so I don't need to worry about that. Worst I have to deal with is our different colour currency. There is a thing as being too PC as well.

Yes there is such a thing as TOO PC, but this is NOT it.

Although I know that the blind have developed their own ways to distinguish between bills by folding them different ways.

They still need to know initially what the bill is.

But think about how people could be cruel and lie about the bill a blind person is using to buy something with?

I think the braile is the best bet as it requires no re-design of the bill. Canadian bills have had braile for years now.

I don't see what different colours have to do with helping the blind though. The visually impared and those not completely blind, sure.

Yeah:
Quote:
On 2007-01-23 19:15, Joey Stalin wrote:
Well about the plastic remark, have you ever felt Australian money? Practically impossible to tear that stuff.

But upon inspection of our money, Canadian bills, there are already braille like marks on the bills.

Yeah they need to know what they are to begin with. That is what bank tellers, friends and family are for.

I was saying that being Canadian, this threat to you Yanks of different size bills doesn't matter to me.

I was saying that the worst I have to deal with, magic wise, is the different colour bills.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Just for the record, many magicians are blind or legally blind. I am, in fact, legally blind.

The US is one of very few countries that do not use different size currency for each denomination. Our GW just stopped a move to have US currency made in different sizes.

Bob
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of michaelmagicart
I don't think Braile would work. it would to easy to counterfeit. Just flatten the braile and put a different braile back on the bill.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Warning for American Bill Users!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL