The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How many answer the phone when it rings? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Well said Starrpower.

Donald, I too let the voice mail pick up if I am eating dinner or in an important conversation with my family.

If they are "serious" propects (even serious "shoppers"), they will leave a message.

Answering the phone promptly, when avaiable, is also important (imho) to show that you are sensitive to the client's needs (in terms of securing the best entertainment avalaibale, as soon as possible so that they can move on).

Put yourself in their mid set for a minute... have you ever tried to book entertainment for your own event?

As far as I'm concerened, maintaining a healthy work/life balance is the key to maintaing a healthy (and happy) family life and a sense of inner-peace.

Not always easy, (or do-able) , but certainly worth striving for in earnest.

Jonathan Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
See here is what is funny to me about "magicians". They want to be "percieved as a success" instead of putting time INTO being one.

Look at the most successfull companies on the planet. Does IBM let the phone ring so you figure they are making computers? THEY HAVE RULES ON HOW FAST YOU HAVE TO ANSWER if you are a secretary.

Somewhere along the line they get this crazy idea that "customer service" really helps to sell a client. People don't give a rats patootie how many birthday parties you do, just that you do THEIR'S well and for a fair price!

Keep not answering the phone and hoping they figure you are a huge success and try to deposit all that in the bank.
IF you really want to fool them when you stop watching the Flintstones to answer the phone, DON'T tell them it is you. Make up a name if you want to seem so important as you can't be bothered.

Seems as if many magicians forget that we are in customer service. No matter what level from Birthday parties for kids to Copperfield. Keeping that in mind will keep your bills paid.

When someone gets a voice mail they may go right to the next name on the list. Unless you are the only guy in town who can do what you do I feel you are losing business.

I don't do that market, but it seems as if it is a bad thing not to answer the phone. You have spent LOTS of money I hope to get the thing to ring, what kind of guy ignores it? It is counter productive.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7401 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
Dannydoyle wrote:

See here is what is funny to me about "magicians". They want to be "percieved as a success" instead of putting time INTO being one.

Look at the most successfull companies on the planet. Does IBM let the phone ring so you figure they are making computers? THEY HAVE RULES ON HOW FAST YOU HAVE TO ANSWER if you are a secretary.

Good stuff, Danny.

One small thing. Even with some birthday customers, you can position yourself so you are THE ONE they are looking for, even if there are more choices. But that positioning has little to do with answering the phone or not. It has to do with doing good shows, and also giving great customer service. Referrals, word of mouth, and people seeking your specific contact info in the phone book or the parent magazine, because you are the one they're seeking. That's all about the quality of your leads.

If most of your calls happen because you are just another name in the phone book, then you'd better answer every call. Forward your business line to your cell. Pounce on that ring. Answer it in the grocery store line-up.

This is kind of a silly thread in a way. Of course, you have to answer the phone. Danny said it so succinctly... it's about customer service.

But yet, all I was suggesting was balance.

I used to interrupt a meal to answer the phone, or answer it when I had guests over visiting. I used to answer it when people called early in the morning or late at night. Now I don't.

I used to be like Pavlov's dog, when it came to the phone. And I'll bet many entertainers still are that way.

Now that I have my business line forwarded to the cell, I have to choose times when it's not appropriate to answer it, too, because there are more opportunities for me to answer it.

But I do answer it whenever I can. Within reason.

I don't like the advice of not answering it for "positioning" reasons. I like the advice of not answering it for "practicality" reasons.

There's cash in every call.

- Donald

P.S. Return calls promptly, too. Again, all about customer service.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mozart
View Profile
New user
Rochester, MN
80 Posts

Profile of Mozart
Have to agree with a majority of the posters on this topic. I've owned several businesses over the past twenty years - some of which have had nothing to do with magic. The common demoninator when trying to dominate the market is very simple -answer your telephone, every time. Talk to everyone.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sometimes it is more about what you MISS by NOT answering than what you gain by answering.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Donald's "PS" was also worth re-reading...

"P.S. Return calls promptly, too. Again, all about customer service."

Thanks Donald.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2006-12-03 11:34, Donald Dunphy wrote:

Even with some birthday customers, you can position yourself so you are THE ONE they are looking for, even if there are more choices. Referrals, word of mouth, and people seeking your specific contact info in the phone book or the parent magazine, because you are the one they're seeking.

All true. But how do you KNOW they are calling because you are "THE ONE" as opposed to someone looking for entertainment who's never heard of you? I want ALL the qualified prospects to book me, not just the ones who are seeking me out specifically. Toward that end, I can't let calls go in hopes that they'll wait for "The Great Me" to return the call. I can't assume they've all heard of me and already know about my show. I have to treat every caller as if they have no idea who I am ... meaning respectfully. That's why I try to (within reason) answer every call.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7401 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I know which calls came from what source by asking.

And I know that every month, well over 50% of incoming calls is because people were looking for me, not just some magician.

I track my stats.

Yes, you can't know in advance. And yes, you should answer the phone, regardless of whether I find out if they are calling because I am THE ONE or not. I always treat my prospects and customers with respect. Never said anything different.

But you should know how many leads are coming from what sources. You should know this by asking, and looking at the trends.

When I cut down my YP ad from a display ad, to just a basic line listing, not even bold, then I started getting a lot less "unqualified" leads. Less incoming calls overall, but more and more qualified callers.

- Donald
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Most magic marketing experts are full of baloney, here we have 48 different opinions on when the smart magician answers his phone. Have we given up logic, and common sence to become the obedient deciple of some self appointed guru, who's only interest is to sell their nonsence to foolish magicians?

I answer the phone when it rings, and I return all calls ASAP. My new DVD titled "how answering the phone can make you rich" will be availible for the new year for a mere $100 each, while supplies last.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Using marketting strategies to grow your business is important. And the phone is an important tool. So, What do you do when the phone rings?

ANSWER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
MagicChris
If you act now, along with my new DVD I can also send you, at no additional expense a handy dandy veg-o-matic that will replace all other kitchen utensels, and give you more time to answer the phone.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean

Ring... Ri...

"Yes Hello, How May I Assist You?!"

Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-12-03 16:17, Al Angello wrote:
MagicChris
If you act now, along with my new DVD I can also add, at no additional expense to you a handy dandy veg-o-matic that will replace all other kitchen utensels, and give you more time to answer the phone.
Al Angello

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!( I'm a sucker for a good sales pitch!!! )

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So if I have this right, it goes like this.

Some guys spend lots of money to get their phone to ring, and when it does they choose NOT to answer it as a marketing technique?

I have to convess I missed that day of class in my degree work.

NOT answering is not covered by Maslows heigherarchy of needs. Or maybe it is. LOL
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2006-11-28 20:39, todd75 wrote:
I was just listening to a Eric Paul lecture where he says that he NEVER EVER answers the phone. Interesting! I like his thinking behind it. If you are soooo busy, then why are you answering your phone?

Many, many years ago, before the big cellphone era hit, I went to a local paging company and bought a beeper. I had voice mail put on it, and every time someone left a message, it paged me. I had to dial in to get the message and call them back. Of course, that was way before I went full-time. It worked great, but it makes me wonder how many calls I lost with people who hung up. I think that some people, no matter who they are, just simply will not leave a message under any circumstances.

So...how many of you answer the phone every time it rings? I will admit that I do most of the time, but I usually will let it ring 3 times before picking it up. Is it just me, or have others noticed that when a person calls and does not leave a message, if you have caller ID and you call them back, they are 9 times out of 10 not a serious call anyway?

B-day party moms will usually hang up unless they are serious. Schools will almost always leave a message. What are your experiences?

Sometimes, I like make noises in the background like a fax machine or a photocopier so it seems like I'm in my busy office.

Or sometimes, I put on a falsetto voice when I answer the phone and say "Mr Johnson's office, Janus speaking. How may I direct your call?

And sometimes, I've painted a giant cardboard mural facade that goes on the front of my house so it LOOKS like I work in a big office instead of from a little three bedroom house.

Or sometimes I don't waste my time worrying about what lies I can tell or stupid things I do, to make myself look important busy.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2729 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Another way to make them think you are busy is to have someone else answer and say, “oh he won’t be available for the next twenty five years.” Smile

Going back to what I said about business hours, a home based business will never be a nine to five job. The hours must be adjusted to include evening hours. If folks think they are calling your home, then yes they are going to call at night when they think your home. The best solution is to have office hours on your material and have a separate business line. During those hours, you should answer no matter what. After those hours, then if you don’t answer most will realize your closed.

Could it be that what Eric is talking about is not personally answering the phone?
I rarely answer the phone at my business, someone else does. But I do always answer at home, regardless of what time it is, and will talk business if that’s what the call is about. I’m not sure he means to just always let the phone ring off the hook.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2006-12-03 16:37, Dannydoyle wrote:
Some guys spend lots of money to get their phone to ring, and when it does they choose NOT to answer it as a marketing technique?

That pretty much summed it up in a single sentence! I'm sorry I didn't write it.

And, Donald, as you know I agree with the tracking of calls. I'm referring to answering the phone, before you know who is calling and how they know about you.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7401 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I think there is just simple a mis-communication here, Mark. I think we are on the same page.

- Donald
Baggins
View Profile
Regular user
london
148 Posts

Profile of Baggins
Bruce Munton answers the phone when it rings.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I not only won't answer when it rings, I won't give them a call back for at least 2 weeks. Sure, I miss some work, but they all must talk about how busy I must be.

I also don't stay for the agreed upon legnth of time for the show. That gets them thinking I have so many shows, I don't have enough time in the day to get to them all. That keeps the referalls rolling in...........

Did I learn this from Dave Dee? I'm not sure.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How many answer the phone when it rings? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL