The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Strolling or Walkaround? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
When promoting your various business services (ie: stage, close-up, etc.), what do you call your close-up magic entertainment (whether at a restaurant, banquet, festival, etc.) -- strolling magic, or walkaround magic? I find myself using the terms interchangably, but was wondering what others say. Besides, it seems that whatever term I use, I still have to describe what it means.

Brian
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would love to meet any customer who knows what the heck strolling magic is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Brian
I think Danny is right either is correct, but if you are advertising maybe use "close-up strolling" just to be clear.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1296 Posts

Profile of nucinud
And then there is table side magic as well.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.



Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
All pretty much a distinction without a difference.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I use strolling magic because for me there is a reason for it for the markjets I specialize in. I do mainly festivals and fairs and in my research I have found out that many of them use the term strolling performers. They use this term in their advertising or whan they are talking with you. I picked up on this and started using that terminology just because it was what they were most familiar and comfrtable with in my area and my market.

However, I still always back up the phrase with a definition on exactly what it means to my client or prospect and the benefit it brings tio their event. This way we are both on the same page and understanding each other.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I like to say that I bring to show right to the guest's table.
Self concept is destiny..
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Mingle magic

wandering magic

handshake magic

Posted: Nov 30, 2006 6:52am
Quote:

On 2006-11-30 01:34, Janus109 wrote:
I like to say that I bring to show right to the guest's table.

Yes this is what you say in the description BUT

you gotta call it something in the first place

Posted: Nov 30, 2006 6:54am
Over in AUstralia even tho I HATE the term they also call it street theatre (by entertainment agencies that don't really know what they are talking about)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-11-30 06:54, icentertainment wrote:
Over in AUstralia even tho I HATE the term they also call it street theatre (by entertainment agencies that don't really know what they are talking about)


Don't worry, many magicians now call it "street magic" and havn't the faintest idea what they are talking about either.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RobertBloor
View Profile
Inner circle
The Socialist Republic of the USA.
1051 Posts

Profile of RobertBloor
Danny, you and I agree one a few too many things I think. Smile
"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,"
-The Declaration of Independence
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2006-11-29 14:47, Dannydoyle wrote:
I would love to meet any customer who knows what the heck strolling magic is.


I dread meeting the customer who can't figure it out using a dictionary and context clues. There is a reason we use that term, it's self explanitory.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
For years we have offered...

-Mingling Magic during Cocktails

and...

-Table-to-Table Magic during the meal

We also offer..

"an After-Dinner Magic-Comedy Show with Music, and lots of audience participation"

It seems to work well (for us). No ambiguity. Nice responses.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
___________________________________
www.maxmagician.com
www.mindreadershow.com
www.monsieurmagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-12-01 08:52, JackScratch wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-11-29 14:47, Dannydoyle wrote:
I would love to meet any customer who knows what the heck strolling magic is.


I dread meeting the customer who can't figure it out using a dictionary and context clues. There is a reason we use that term, it's self explanitory.


Not to quibble but if it is SELF EXPLANITORY you don't need a dictionary or context clues. See the clue to the is in the words "self explanitory". That means you don't need OTHER THINGS TO HELP. It is contained within itself.

See that is the point. Marketing and advertising should NOT require you to think. The best ads do it for you. When you have to go get a dictionary, you move along to the next ad and then if it is truley SELF EXPLANITORY well then you go with that one.

Magicians are a quite "superior" group with their thinking, and wonder why they sit home working for their plants.

Average newspaper is written for some grade school reading and comprehension level. NOT the type of people who go get dictionaries.

I mean really do you want someone to go get a dictionary to decypher your terms in your ads? It is crazy. Just because to YOU it is self explanitory, as you are in the business where the term is thrown arround without much care or concern does not mean everyone has that frame of reference.

Ask an agent how many times he has sold a client on "strolling magic" as opposed to sime guy walking arround the party doing tricks.

Stop asssuming people have your frame of reference, and you will sell more shows.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
You could also call it

Cocktail Party Magic

or rather cocktail party entertainment.

You will find that a great many customers really don't know what a magician is- they immediately start thinking kids party, balloon dogies etc.
Posted: Dec 3, 2006 3:28am
Pre dinner entertainment

we sometimes call our stage shows - after dinner entertainment.

at one point I had on my site a drop down menu that was "choose your event" and whatever they clicked would result in various shows that would suit that event.

I stopped doing that because of my flash site plus those drop down menus use Java script so I wanted to reduce all that. But I'll find a way to add it again
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
" ... a rose by any other word ..."

It doesn't matter what you call it. Make up your own name. Just make sure you explain it to them, or within your literature. Terms we know are completely foreign to 99.99% of the world, anyway.
Baggins
View Profile
Regular user
london
148 Posts

Profile of Baggins
I call it "drifting magic"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I call it Syzygy Entertaining. When they look it up, they see syzygy is an alignment of three celestial objects ( i.e. the sun, the earth and the moon ). That tells them right away I offer strolling, parlor or Hip Hop DJ'ing.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Strolling Magic is a term I used in my first(1990)lecture notes, Take A Stroll With Me. I chose to use that word because I did not like "walk around" as a description.

I think that it is apt because as a walk around performer, one does not really have a destination. When one takes a stroll, he or she is out to enjoy themselves. "Cocktail entertainment" is only one venue description--I have strolled at kids' parties and other "dry" events.

Whatever the term used is really up to you. It is Magic, performed for one guest or a small group of party goers. It is an intimate style, where the Magic happens in the hands of the audience. It is interactive and compelling. Magic done, close enough to touch.

John Racherbaumer does not like the style. I do! We are friends and he is entitled to his opinion.

Enjoy the search (journey, sojourn, adventure, mission, walk, amble) Green
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Quote:
On 2006-12-03 19:08, Starrpower wrote:
" ... a rose by any other word ..."

It doesn't matter what you call it. Make up your own name. Just make sure you explain it to them, or within your literature. Terms we know are completely foreign to 99.99% of the world, anyway.


It does matter what you call it.

Your message or show type should not need explanation.

the quote just make sure you explain it to them---- what is your advice for when they don't call you because as the potential client browsed your web site they didn't see what they wanted becasue nothing was nutshelled for them.

whatever we call it- It should be understandable in 2- 3 words
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
As mentioned above (but worth repeating)...

We "use" to "stroll", now we "Mingle" during cocktails.

Our corporate clients tell me they like this term --and we have polled them.

Use whatever works for you and your clients... any many terms will work... it's what you do with it that counts!

Best wishes trapesing amoungst your ambulatory audiences!

Jonathan Smile
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
___________________________________
www.maxmagician.com
www.mindreadershow.com
www.monsieurmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Strolling or Walkaround? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL