The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ambitious Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
the_hidey
View Profile
New user
Chris
63 Posts

Profile of the_hidey
How can I learn how to do the Ambitious Card? Is it done with a regular deck?
Thanks
Chris
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10616 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Two videos: Daryl's Ambitious Card and Greg Wilson's Double Take
Take your choice.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Yes it's done with a regular deck Smile

Euan
Bigmagictrout
View Profile
New user
Quebec, Canada
46 Posts

Profile of Bigmagictrout
Daryl's Ambitious Card video is great! However, if you have a DVD player, go for the DVD instead of the video. The navigation is almost perfect. Smile
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Quote:
On 2003-01-02 18:36, vinsmagic wrote:
Two videos: Daryl's Ambitious Card and Greg Wilson's Double Take
Take your choice.
vinny

I'll second both of these! Get them as quickly as you can! Smile
William Holcomb
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
Try his Ambitious Card Omnibus - It'll make you a better card worker and is about 10 times more comprehensive than a video.

Dave
Mind Bullets
View Profile
Loyal user
200 yards away
258 Posts

Profile of Mind Bullets
Although Greg Wilson's Double Take is a terrific resource for learning some wonderful routines and honing one's DL, the Ambitious Card routine performed on the tape is NOT taught on the video -- it is performance ONLY. (But, it is not difficult to figure out the routine once you're familiar with the basic Ambitious Card sequences).

:j
aby9plp
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
255 Posts

Profile of aby9plp
Get Daryl's Ambitious Card video!!! I mean, just look at the title of the video! It says it all. Then look at the author: Daryl!
Trust me, I have it and you really can't go wrong with it!
-aka-
Phoenix
maurile
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
102 Posts

Profile of maurile
Daryl's treatment of the Ambitious Card routine is the most comprehensive, but if you don't want to get that, the Ambitious Card is taught in lots of other resources as well. Card College - volume 2 (Giobbi), Royal Road to Card Magic (Hugard & Braue), Expert Card Technique (Hugard & Braue), On The Loose - volume 1 (Bill Malone), Easy To Master Card Miracles - volume 2 (Ammar) . . . and probably hundreds of others.
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi,

a good recommendation for learning the Ambitious Card routine beside Daryl's tape is Michael Ammar Easy To Master Card Miracles volume 2. This way you will learn Ambitious Card, but also some other terrific effects (like that's it, MacDonald's Aces, Card Warp, Twisting the Aces and Dc Daley's Last Trick)

This way you get more bang for your buck.

And the Ammar's series are known for the quality and clarity of their instructions (with the over the shoulder view and super-practice sessions).

It is not that the Daryl's video is not good, it is just that as you will grow in your magic (and sleights) you will by yourself add some steps in your Ambitious Card trick (because few magician can do Daryl's whole routine honor).

Hope this helps!

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
jw_2101
View Profile
New user
Singapore
76 Posts

Profile of jw_2101
Yup Daryls, and Ammar's are the way to go.

Regards,
Jonathan
He is no fool who would give what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1358 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Ammar teaches a very nice ambitious card routine. It is much more concise than most I have seen, however I think I would lean more toward Daryl in this case. Daryl's video seems to encourage a little bit more creativity on the part of the magician.. he presents all the various ambitious phases as if they're building blocks, and for me at least, constructing my own routine from the assortment of phases has been the real fun part of it for me..
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1479 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Getting a video is OK but you'll get more bang for your buck if you get a book (as always).
Daryl's book on the subject is a nice resource of ambitious moves. It has his routine plus many other moves that aren't. I don't think it's a good idea to take something as versatile as the Ambitious Card and get a video and copy the routine verbatim. There are so many different sequences, it's not that hard to come up with your own.
Jem
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
342 Posts

Profile of Jem
As mentioned by many others here, I think that Daryl's Ambitious Card DVD is the way to go. He covers the routine so comprehensively in his DVD, all you have to do is to pick & choose your favourite methods.

It certainly helped me a great deal when I was learning the Ambitious Routine.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1479 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
And it looks nice on your shelf too. Oh wait...it's a DVD. Nevermind.
shanla
View Profile
Loyal user
Japan, Tokyo
285 Posts

Profile of shanla
Although I personaly like Daryl's routine very much, I think you had better learning from many other masters' routaining also.
I recommend Dai Vernon's routine described in "Stars of Magic" and Cy Endfield's one explained in "Cy Endfield's Entertaining Card Magic".

Sometimes the ambitious card performance is compared with a jazz session.
By learning from maestros' thinking, you can construct your own routine.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1358 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I think Daryl's routine goes on for too long, I wasn't keeping a talley, but it seemed like it was at least 30 phases.. Audiences get the point sooner than that. I wasn't too enamored with his 3 card sequence either. I realize he was mainly doing that to give himself an excuse to set up for the ultimate ambition, but I think that if his act was seriously streamlined it could only get better.

I like Ammar's routine because it is only 4 phases, but 3 of them are what I'd call "the standard ambitious phase" (ie.. put a card in the middle, gesture, its back on top). Its only on the 4th and final phase, that he introduces a novelty phase. By which I mean a phase where the card is revealed in a slighty more unique manner. In this case, "the pop-up card", which I think is one of the best possible endings for an ambitious card routine.

Larry Jenning's 7 phase routine also ends with the pop up card. My own personal routine is 6 phases and none of them are the standard phase, which I think helps to keep it interesting, because the audiences are always seeing something new.
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Anyone like Alex Elmsleys "Ambitious stranger" effect? It's very nicely structured and ends with a nice deck colour change.

Euan
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1358 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Quote:
On 2003-01-14 09:35, Euan wrote:
Anyone like Alex Elmsleys "Ambitious stranger" effect? It's very nicely structured and ends with a nice deck colour change.

No but I'd like to read it, is it in the Complete Works of... ?

A similar concept to the color changing backs, is the one-way ambitious, where a you do the routine with a one-way deck, and a indifferent ambitious card.. then you do a mexican-turnover/diminshing lift sequence, to show that all the cards in the deck are the ambitious card, and finally end by saying that all the cards in the deck are really are all the same, just not the ambitious card... and you ribbon spread to show them the deck.
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Yep, complete works volume one

Euan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ambitious Card (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL