The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Question of handcuff escape. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
For handcuff escape, which brand of handcuffs do you use.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
There are subtle differences in the locking mechanisms and therefore the escape techniques involved in the process. I would start out learning on the most common cuff in your area. Where I live, the police use Smith and Wesson cuffs. If someone approaches me to get out of THEIR handcuffs, that is the most likely one I would see.

However... If you are going to be doing handcuff escapes, especially if you do challenges, becasue you never know who will bring what to the theater, you should be well versed in as many types as you can.

If you are not going to do challenges, but simply have a spectator examine the cuffs then lock you in, it doesn't matter what brand or style. Get your self a good quality cuff and PRACTICE a lot!
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
I would suggest contacting Mark Cannon. I have purchased many items from him and I have even called him at home and he will give you ALL the details you need to know so that you can make an educated decision.
http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.com/
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Go here,

http://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/

S&W or Peerless.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
theoriginalman
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of theoriginalman
I totally agree with KingStardog, S&W or Peeless are good to start out with. The very first cuffs that I picked and shimmed were a set of Peerless. I suggest you purchase a few different types of cuffs and stay in the Café and pick the brains of the great ones.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I have more time now. You should be looking for higher grade police duty cuffs with spun rivets on the outside plates instead of the pinned or spot welded type. These will have a bit tighter tolerances to practice with and from there you can shop around and get the right tools for real deal work or teach yourself how to make your own. A big mistake is to buy the cheapies and find out you learned on mechanisms with way too much slop, and end up with a friendly challenge from heavy duty gear and your methods don't work. Another thing is, there are not many universal style keys that interchange between brands anymore. American Handcuff brand keys do but they don't make them anymore, and its only shelfstock now.

S&W Model 100 are a good choice. They match several types of specialty items that are made in the S&W M 100 format such as jumpers and ADAs as well as a half dozen or more underground mods if you get to know the right folks, that will expand what can be done later on, but get the real cuffs first and go from there. Each specialty item has its own strenghts and weakneses and you will know what you like once you can actualy do it.

Be aware that both keys, picks and other items can break off in use leaving you trapped inside real gear. Be very careful of extra long hi torque duty keys that don't come from a reputable company like ASP. The super cheap ones are easy to break off.

Avoid any practice tied to solid objects or confined areas. Years ago some guy in the midwest got trapped in a basement and drowned when the sump pump went out. Sometimes you hear the same story as a broken water pipe. Might be an urban legend but the message is there, that they can be the beginning of a tragic string of events.

Store them double locked with the keys put away from them to keep the kids safe.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Question of handcuff escape. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL