The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What should be on my Christmas list? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Spidey
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
20 Posts

Profile of Spidey
I have books like "Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic" and movies like "Greed" by Danial Garcia. Anyway...my mom gave me a limit of $250 to spend on magic at PenguinMagic.com...does anyone have any suggestions. I really want to stay with dvds vs. books (they're easier to follow for me). I'm not real big on card magic either. I want to get effects like Criss Angel's "coin through a can" and thumb tip magic. Thanks in advance!
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
-Sponge balls and a sponge ball video (like the one by patrick page) might be fun as well.
-raven
-scotch and soda
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Snow Maker
Spidey
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
20 Posts

Profile of Spidey
I have watched the Raven preview a couple of times and still cant figure out if you use slight of hand or if it is a gimmic...

Drizz, wat do you mean by snow maker? wat effect is that?
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Can you ask for cash?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
If you're dead set against cards, and you're dead set on DVDs (what a shame...) you might enjoy these (which are barely a tip of the iceberg with regard to what's actually available):

* Lessons In Magic, vols. 1 - 3 (Juan Tamariz) [...yes, there are cards, and the material is not necessarily for beginners, but you'll positively benefit from the discussion of performance theory].
* Easy To Master Money Miracles, vols. 1 - 4 (Michael Ammar)
* The Ultimate Workers, vols. 1 - 4 (Michael Close) [...yes, there are cards, but unique stuff, and you'll benefit from Close's conversations with Michael Ammar and Eric Mead on performance theory].
* Ultimate Impromptu Magic, vols. 1 - 3 (Dan Harlan)
* The Bandshark (Dan Harlan), or Magic With Rubber Bands vols. 1 - 3 (Dan Harlan)
* The Very Best of Jay Sankey (Jay Sankey)

This is such an open ended question that I'm sure you'll receive a wide variety of suggestions. I must say that books are still your best bet (at least, in my opinion) and my recommendations would have steered you in a very different direction if you agreed on that point, and if you were not posting this in the "New to Magic?" section.

Your Mom is very generous. Take the time to research the items you choose. When you whittle down your list use the search function at the top of the page to look for pertinent reviews and opinions. Spend her money wisely.

Best of luck!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
250 $ is a lot. so take your time to browse around - there are a lot of great offers out there. For instance, Penguine often runs promotions where you can get some free stuff if you spend above 50$. Guess that close to X-mas, they will run another . . .

Before shopping, think about the magic you would like to do. Perhaps you should just imagine yourself giving a performance. What tricks would you like to show at at that time . . . how will they link to each other etc. That will help you avoiding spending the money for things you later just toss away . . .
Cards never lie
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
...and consider reconsidering books Smile

Seriously

Julie
bizjak
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of bizjak
When you finally make your decisions...practice the presentation rasther than just the workings. Some of the most impressive "magic" is done with the simplest of things. Magic is 99% presentation. Create a good presenttation and the magic becomes memorable. Take time to learn the art of magic not just the mechanics of magic.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Spidey, since you are not into cards, How about rope?
Fiber Optics by Sanders DVD
Knots Plus by Loomis

The book Strong Magic by Ortiz,
Sponge Balls
Shells?
Fast & Loose?

Lot of great stuff... research and shop wisely....
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Spidey
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
20 Posts

Profile of Spidey
Well I never said I was against cards or books...i just meant that I wanted to expand and try other types of magic, that's all. I started with cards and I found my love for magic through cards...i just want to try some new things. more stage and street centered effects if that makes since. thanks for all your posts so far!
:)
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Bill Malone's On the Loose. All of them. They're a great source of information.

And don't forget Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Magic 1-9. I only wish I had it.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Any and everything by Michael Ammar. He will teach you everything from method to theory which will be the most valuable to you. He covers most basic topics (cards, coins, levitaions (of objects), sleight-of-hand, cups and balls, topits)which will allow you to approach your own creativity
Aim To Amaze
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Mad Jake is being humble, this is a great place to start a wish list. RNT2
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Daryl's Fooler Doolers Volumes 1-3 will give you a variety of magic.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
With $250.00 you can get the complete Tarbell course. There probably is no better investment, but you will have read them . . . They will be on your magic shelf forever as a reference tool, and they really don't go out of date.

:magicrabbit:
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Nothing.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
David Roth's books and videos. Paul Harris books. Steve Beam's books. Any advanced books, you will grow into them. Get one or more of the collected magazines like Poor Richard, Jinx, Apocolypse, Heirophant, etc. Tons of stuff there that you will not see the kid down the block doing.

Seriously, David Roth, with every prop needed to destroy your audience will cost you less than $250, and give you years of quality stuff to master .
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Quote:
On 2006-11-30 23:58, Josh Riel wrote:
Can you ask for cash?

LMAO...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What should be on my Christmas list? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL