We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best way to handle these cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I am not a card man, and don't know any sleights, lifts, or palms. I may be able to keep a top or bottom card through an overhand shuffle, but it's iffy. So now I've got a trick of my own making that requires me to come up with the right card. (The trick is mine; I'm sure the basic required handling is common.) I've debated about a Svengali or r/s deck, but I'm wondering if there is a handling that doesn't require sleights or a trick deck. I'm making my own deck from a blank one; standard size, but not pips or faces - probably five each of four different colored circles.

This is for kid shows. Basically, I force a card on the volunteer (I can do a cross-cut force pretty good Smile ). The rest of the cards are then spread out on the table, and an object is run over the cards. Now I have to reach down and grab a card matching the force card, probably from somewhere in the middle of the deck.

With both a Svengali and a r/s, I've got good odds of grabbing the right card. Leaving out palming a card and carrying it up to the table, is there a method that will almost guarentee I will get the right card? Some very simple method of controlling a matching card so I know exactly where it is, and can make it look like it came from the middle of the cards?

Ed
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Not knowing exactly where you are going, you might consider a corner pencil dot to mark the card that matches the force card.

Just a thought!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
A crimp is another idea. This would allow you use different colors for each performance.

An easier idea for a reveal would be to have a dupe of the force under your hat or somewhere. Maybe even a jumbo card in your big hat. Smile That would be the revelation.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
The pencil dot might be too small, but the crimp - or at least a curve - might work well. Thanks much.
Ed
kroberge
View Profile
New user
Old Town, Maine
75 Posts

Profile of kroberge
What you describe sounds kind of like "Car Buggy" where after a card is selected and returned to the deck, the deck is spread out and a little car is pushed along the cards and stops on a single card, which is the selected card. I think it was 15-20 bucks. There's another version where the car is made from legos and the spectator gets to build a car from a little kit and then push it along the spread out cards and again, it stops dead on the card they chose.

Kevin
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Ed:

I have done virtually the same trick you describe using an odd/even force deck. BEst,
Brad Burt
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
You could use cards with a one-way back design, so when the card is reinserted its back design is obviously facing a different direction.

Or just have the card on the top or bottom and instead of ribbon spreading the cards, make a big messy mixing of the cards, and just keep track of your cards location as you mess up the pile.
Aim To Amaze
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thanks all for the input. I'm ordering a blank-faced Svengali so I can put my own graphic on the faces. If I don't need the force cards, then I can just use the mixed half of the deck. If I can't get it that way, then I've got the force to fall back on.

Brad: I'm not familiar with an odd-even force deck.

montemagic: I played around a bit and dicovered that if I could get the card - or a duplicate of it - on the top of the deck, I could spread our a mess of the cards and control the top one to wind up in a spot where I could get to it. Thanks for the tip!

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best way to handle these cards? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL