The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » “Greater Magic” (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
I was just able to purchase “Greater Magic” By John Northern Hilliard, Illustrated by; Harlan Tarbell, Carl Waring Jones Minneapolis, Red Hardcover- good shape at what I thought was a great price of $22.00 shipping included. Then I see the Kauffman Edition selling for $145 and up, way up.

What is the big difference, is the information in the new book better or is like the some of the “NEW TRICKS FOR SALE” that are just slight (no pun intended) changes to old tricks with new and improved catch phrase names?
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
These are similar books. In the long run, your earlier copy may have more collectors value than the more recent one.

For many years, Greater Magic was almost unobtainable. When a copy came to market, it fetched a price of $185 to $250, or more. One of the estates, either Jones or Hilliard, had objected to having it reprinted. Then, Richard Kaufman managed to get permission to republish it, and he got hold of the notebooks of John Northern Hilliard. He added a section about 300 pages long that has some notes and other information not found in the original book.

Much of this has to do with the selection of the material that was used in the original work. There is also some historical data.

You did fine getting a copy of this for such a low price.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » “Greater Magic” (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL