The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Spike Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2703 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Naw, be adventurous john, do the splits over each cup.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
If you spot me at blackpool I'll show you a scar that didn't used to be there ....
E.O.I
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Just received my SPIKE yesterday and have had a chance to play with it. The method is what I figured but not in the form I figured. I am perturbed that I have spent this much money yet I have to send back the little "something gimmick" because a huge generic size one is sent out to all purchases and fit is important. I have to spend another $10 and mail a request after already spending $220 for an effect method that I find just ok. It also took 2 days for manufacturer to get back to me to get address to return item and paypal address to send my $10.

It is not overly deceptive in appearance or method of performance to any magician. Some lay people may even pick up on the method from what I can tell. I would not let a curious spectator handle the spike for any period of time. You can let a spectator handle it but you run the risk of exposure of method. The spike is nice but looks a little unnatural as it is segmented. The wood blocks are very simple...nothing fancy there.

I feel that this is a marked improvement over the spike effect where the wood blocks show under the cups. Good performance should be able to make up what the apparatus in this effect lacks in originality or creativity.

As far as the safety factor of this effect I have to say it is failsafe for me. It would really take a serious brain fart to impale one's hand here.

Practicality 10
Simplicity 10
Quality 7
Safety 10
Price 6
Deceptiveness 7
Ability to perform this straight from package 3

Overall this is a decent effect and is simple,safe and effecient enough that one can concentrate on performance and make it a very good effect. I have not performed this in front of group of spectators yet so I cannot guage it's reaction as of yet.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
John, very good review.
That being said, I don't think it will ever be my cup of tea...

Good Luck with it.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
At the SAM National convention in Boston a year and a half ago, Charles Gauci was selling a very nice looking spike that used this same method. He no longer lists it for sale, speculation on my part is that he did not want to be associated with possible injury from misuse. Accidents do happen, and as we have seen over the past year, quite a few have happened with this type of effect.

Sometimes we are so caught in in what we can do, that we don't see past the method and take into consideration whether we should perform, or market an effect for other performers. The method does work, and works well, but we are all human, and sometimes we make mistakes. If you make a mistake and the wrong card is revealed, it is of little matter, but if the mistake results in mutilation, there are other factors that need to be considered.

Just my opinion.

Tony
donkeys and waffles
View Profile
Loyal user
From Florida but all over US now....
294 Posts

Profile of donkeys and waffles
Thanks John for the review, I was leaning away from this one anyway. The videos I have seen of people impaling their hands(or assts )in the spike was about enough anyway. 220 dollars without everything you need is a little hard to swallow. I wouldnt be happy.

Donkeys and Waffles
3 people can keep a secret if two of them are dead... Benjamin Franklin
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2623 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I received SPIKE just the other day I must say this is quality all the way nice packaging . Practicing right now in fact if your worried about the SPIKE the dvd gives you a nice routine without smashing each cup before you reveal where the sPIKE is this way is 100000 % safe . Now as for smashing the cups the gimmick is very safe you will no where the spike is at all times . I think an injury will happen if you no where the spike is & Smash that cup cause your thinking to much where the spike is just remember Smash the other cups . I thought I would be ready to perform it this weekend but I can't seem to find 12oz foam cups anywhere you must use 12OZ CUPS 80z & 16 oz where the heck are the 12oz cups avaliable Is this an odd size ??? NO
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
EBAY as last resort Tops. Thanks for review!
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2623 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Candini this effect will fit your style of mentalism Trust me it's awesome looking at your avatar you can perform it blindfolded !
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I have purposefully not read anyone else's reviews of this and am commenting having just received my Spike this afternoon.

First of all, I only buy things that I am 99% sure I will use. I watched the video and have to say I didn't know how it was done, and I know that audiences will be dumbfounded when faced with this routine.

I have some positive and some negative thoughts with this.

Positive: It is extremely well made. the stands and the spike really nice and look heavy duty...should last a long long time.

LOVE the packaging, really nice packaging.

Negative: The special something is no good for me and I would imagine it is wrong for 95% of the people who buy it. So I am not having to mess around to get it sorted so I can actually go out and do the routine. Which is darn annoying.

Secondly, and I know its a small thing...you don't get even a sample of the cups you are to use. So again I have to go out searching for more tools to make this thing performance ready.

Finally, the demo video is terrible. Part way through one of the sections someone starts hoovering in the background, the venue is dirty...looks like a garage with black marks all up the walls...i just think that for the ££ they could have spent more time on that area. Especially since this is the ONLY way of getting the instruction as no written instructions are supplied.

Overall...do I like it? Yes
Will I use it? Yes
Is it worth the ££? Yes...but would have liked the cups and better production on the DVD.

The big problem I have now though...is how do I make this into a long, worthy routine, and not just a quick trick...ahh the job of the performing mentalist!

Ken
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Two reviewers have commented on the same issue with the "something special"

It's very irritating when a pricey effect comes with cheaply made gimmicks or props that need to be replaced or redesigned.

"Body Language" comes to mind- a great effect that comes with hideous cheap and nasty equipment that need immediate replacement.

Good quality material and well produced instructions can add value to an effect, and the inverse is also true.

I'll probably still get this, but it's a pity to hear about these quality issues..
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
indomagic
View Profile
Special user
927 Posts

Profile of indomagic
Hi Guy, if you see Murphys website on this item, than you will find out immediately how it works.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Oh I forgot to mention...110% safe? I totally disagree.

We are talking about working with real life spectators in a stage setting. Anything could happen. I think to claim this is 100% safe is wrong. It's 98% safe, for sure.
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Gochos
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gochos
Hi Guys

Let me just explain something regarding the something special. First of all Virungan this is not a cheaply made Gimmick but the genuine article.

I would say that the special gimmick supplied can only be seen as a positive and not a negative. It was not intended to be part of the packaging but included as an afterthought and not calculated as part of the production costs. It was included for the user to get used to how the spike works. If they want it changed then we are happy to exchange it just for the cost of delivery.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Be careful gang.......very careful. Confidence could lead to a lapse of thought and anything can happen with this type of routine.
CoinMan21
View Profile
Elite user
China
442 Posts

Profile of CoinMan21
Why does Murphys show the gimmick to this routine?

If that is the method, how is it so different from some of the available methods out there?
Mogwai II
View Profile
Veteran user
The Alpes
312 Posts

Profile of Mogwai II
I just visited Murphy as well... well, I guess its not really 110%

that's just to much danger for me. I love to be a two handed magician! Smile

I would go with Scott Alexander's "Shattered" or "Danger Monte" from Aldo Colombini. These are really 150% Safe!
"You'll wonder when he comes, you'll wonder more when he's gone..."
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On 2006-12-20 04:14, CoinMan21 wrote:
Why does Murphys show the gimmick to this routine?

If that is the method, how is it so different from some of the available methods out there?

Quite frankly, the creator and all ads should be showing or telling you what is involved. I had the same issue with Child Plays 2. If a performer has to change his wardrobe / image to perform a particular effect, he should know about it.
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1499 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
Tmcoa:

I am not sure I understand the complaint on Child's Play II. Yes it is a sport watch but if you are in a dress wardrobe who sees the watch? It is under a long sleeve shirt and coat. If asked we certainly would have explained this to whoever was interested. I find this really a non issue on the effect for the reason I just stated. We do now have a dress model but it is quite hard to make and is special order only. It is also more expensive.

Ron
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Been out in town all day looking for polystyrene cups that are large enough to cover the spike. Does anyone in the UK have a source? I tried Wilkinson, Sainsbury, Asda. On the DVD he mentions Macro, but you have to be a member and I'm not one.

Any help much appreciated.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Spike Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL