The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Spike Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Gochos
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gochos
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2006-12-04 15:38, under the table wrote:
My friend (lady friend) once stabbed herself while high to see if it would hurt, she said it wasn't as bad as everyone thinks it would be. I believe her so I guess I'm gonna buy it lol. This would b perfect for me and my crazy shenanigans, I'm buying it after Christmas you guys.

I would imagine the fact that she was highhelped with it not being so bad.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On 2006-12-20 09:19, mrmagic0 wrote:
Tmcoa:

I am not sure I understand the complaint on Child's Play II. Yes it is a sport watch but if you are in a dress wardrobe who sees the watch? It is under a long sleeve shirt and coat. If asked we certainly would have explained this to whoever was interested. I find this really a non issue on the effect for the reason I just stated. We do now have a dress model but it is quite hard to make and is special order only. It is also more expensive.

Ron

This is getting a bit off topic, but I beg to differ. I wear a suit EVERY TIME I perform and I can't tell you how many compliments I get on my time piece each year, so I would say that my watch DOES show.

Also, I am a Child's Play I owner and when II came out, if I recall correctly you were a bit sly and discrete on what it actually was. I haven't seen your ad as of late, but I recall, originally it didn't mention that there was a watch involved, which if it still doesn't, it should. I emailed you back when it first came out and you side-stepped my question at first.

And I have yet to see ANY gimmicked watch that is up to my standards. A time piece is like a pair of shoes...it speaks volumes.

Anyway, I don't have any issues with your product itself, I am sure it works brilliantly, I just wouldn't wear such a watch.

Back to the topic....I just feel that ANY effect requiring you to alter your appearance or wardrobe in order for it to work should be fully disclosed. MHO.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I had no problem with using 16oz cups with spike. You just have to alter your technique a little.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
John I used the 16oz cups for my first performance cause I had a show & wanted to perform the effect right away . The problem with the 16oz cup is the spike looks smaller next to the cup also the Smashing is not so effective. Use the 12oz & you get a loud smash . After Searching over a a dozen stores last week only to find 8.5 & 16 oz cups I realized where to get the cups Your Local RESTAURANT SUPPLY STORE. I say local cause if you order on line the shipping charge will be the same price as the cups . Today I walked into a restaurant supply store & bought half a case 500 12 oz foam cups for 14.95 !!! a full case is 27.00 for 1000 cups. Also for those of you who don't own this effect it is very safe & one of my best purchases of the year.
Tophatter
CoinMan21
View Profile
Elite user
China
442 Posts

Profile of CoinMan21
How is Spike superior to other versions that uses the gimmick in one form or another?

Why does one have to pay like $200 for this when the same gimmick could be gotten for less than 1/5 of the price?
Gochos
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gochos
-
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Well mine came today and I have to say in my personal view, I LOVE IT - very nicely put together, and I say it is 100% safe, I mean you just know!!!

The spike is nice I spoke to the dealer about the special something prior to my order so I got what I wanted, they were happy to sort it out!!

So all in all, this will be worked hard over the Christmas period, cant wait!!

Great Christmas pressie for myself.

http://www.worldmagicshop.co.uk provided great service next day delivery and even a phone call!!
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Tabletop agreed I love this effect very safe quality props & like you said you always know where the spike is . I wonder what method those magicians on Youtube are using OUCH !
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Ok, I performed this last night. I have bought a special case for this and added some Anti-Septic lotion and some cotton bud to wipe the spike with (people were horrified and truley believed this could go wrong, was powerful stuff!!

During the 'switching stage' I used something I have seen on a Andy Nyman DVD where you turn your back and the spectator makes the move he then calls out say for example 'i switch 3 with 2) of course you tell them at the start that they can either lie or tell the truth. This is done 4-5 times, they tell the truth and they lie, adds more confusion I think, after one guy was like 'You must have a great memory and how did you know when I was lying' 'How could you keep track mentally of all the moves'

Anyway it was great very dramatic, chances for nervous humour all in all great effect, and just for the record I KNOW WHERE THE SPIKE IS AT ALL TIMES!!!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
How is everyone dealing with the returns of the something that isn't right?
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

I spoke to them before and they swaped it for the one I wanted, very happy!!
ryesteve
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of ryesteve
I don't see how someone can say this is 100% safe, since we've all heard accounts and/or seen videos where, for whatever reason, a mistake happened. But I wonder, is this actually a reason for its appeal? That somehow it really CAN go wrong? I've seen similar effects that actually are 100% safe, but I haven't noticed them generating as much attention as this one.
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
People are mistaking "100% reliable identification" with "100% safe". This is NOT 100% safe. It's 0% safe. If you ram your hand down on the wrong cup you _will_ get hurt.

There are many similar tricks out there with 100% reliable identification. It only takes a momentary lapse of reason to mess it up.

Tricks like "shattered" are 100% safe. This is not, and I can't believe why the various dealers claim it to be.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Some may not even need to exchange it if they already have one.

The thing is you can't avoid it I believe. Everyone need's to be custome so they include a generic one for practice.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
This is a great effect ! having a lot of fun with this I use a blindfold when two cups are left .
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Is there any reason this only has 3 bases? I can't imagine adding 1 more wooden base to enhance the effect and make the magic last could be all taht expensive. Even if they could sell an extra one for a reasonable price. The fact that it only uses 3 makes it look like a scaled down version of the "big boys" version. that's just MY opinion.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I agree I emailmed the company & inquired about buying an extra base . They told me when the bases come in they will let me know 4 will be more dramatic !
Gochos
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gochos
Here is a review we received fro Larry Becker

"I like both the compactness of the apparatus and the simplicity and dependability of the method. It works like a charm and with a modicum of care and caution by the performer, ending up with a spike through the hand should not occur. But a word of caution, like any other dangerous stunt (remember me, I'm the guy with the three pistols) you must not be careless or suffer from brain cramps. The method is excellent but that does not mean accidents can't happen if you allow your mind to wander when it should be focused on the performance. If you're a professional, SPIKE is definitely recommended."
- Larry Becker
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Yes Simplicity all the way Gochos any chance of getting another wood Base ? where & what is the cost ?
Thanks,
Jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Spike Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL