The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Aloha from New York (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kawika
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Kawika
Hello folks. I'm a 50 something type guy who has been into magic since my larval stages. I tinkered around as a child, visiting magic shops and going through lots of junky effects until quality books were discovered. Living in the suburbs of NYC, I would take frequent visits into Tannens and hang around with the locals for hours. I met Frank Garcia there a couple times, and once did a trick for him. He took me aside and gave me my first true lessons in slight of hand. He was a gentleman, and supercharged my engines! Sometime later I became a student of Tony Slydini, and would hang around with (pretty much on the fringes) of the inside crowd of NYC club magicians. These fellows were fabulous and instrumental in my growth. Slydini .... after all of these years and I'm still in awe of this remarkable man.

My income stream has been outside of the field of magic, although I have been known to episodically to be a busker the streets from time to time. I've had some tremendous and very gratifying times doing this. I've always kept my ear to the ground, keeping up with new books, dvds, effects, methods, performers old and new ... and this forum has been interesting and invaluable. So, instead of lurking ... I'm posting. I really don't know why, but perhaps I'll have opportunity to contribute. We'll see.

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself. (I'm walking on the wild side, creating this post without the advantage of a spell-checker).

David
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Welcome to the Magic Café David. I can also say Frank Garcia was one of my many mentors. I am originally from New York City and also use to go to the Broadway Tannens where I got to meet Frank and many other great guys. David you must know my good friend Polaris? We must have also meet at one time.

All the best,

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Welcome David . . . I am sure you will find a lot of inspiration here
Cards never lie
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
Nice to meet you David, welcome to the Café.
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
327 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Welcome to the Café!
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
Welcome to the Café!
Kawika
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Kawika
Thanks for the hospitality guys. Yes, there's a lot of intelligence to be found here, and it's always an honor to rub elbows with working professionals.

Maro, there's a good chance that we have crossed paths. I used to spend quite a bit of time at Mostly Magic and the Magic Townhouse as an observer, and met some great talent this way. Unfortunately Polaris is someone whom I've seen, met and greatly admired, but never had the opportunity to know well. I have recently seen posts by the incomparable Eric DeCamps, one of the major cogs in the wheel at Magic Townhouse, and someone who I used to work with.

Thanks again.
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
Another Welcome. And from another guy who met, and learned from, Frank Garcia at Tannen's. I bought Wild Card there when I was 12, but didn;t know how to do the Glide. The salesman pointed to Garcia and said, "Ask him to show you." He did, along with his handling of the routine. A very pleasant memory. When Frank died in 1993, I wrote a Talk of the Town piece for The New Yorker about his funeral. If you're interested in reading it, PM me, and I'll email you a .pdf.
Adam Green
New York, NY
mimagicman
View Profile
New user
Grand Rapids, MI
17 Posts

Profile of mimagicman
Welcome to the Café!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Aloha from New York (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL