The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Overhand Shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
PBiddy412
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania
27 Posts

Profile of PBiddy412
I just recently bought The Royal Road to Card Magic and as most of you know the overhand shuffle is the first mechanic in the book. While I do the overhand shuffle when I lift my hand back up a lot of cards come back up. Is there something I'm doing wrong. I can do it really well and fast at times but sometimes I just have cards get really messy in my hand.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Sounds like you are not controlling with the thumb of the other hand very well, that is what drags the cards off, be sure and make contact along the top edge of the cards in your other hand and use enough pressure to drag off the number of cards you want.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
My guess is that when you come down to leave some cards in your left hand, you don't go down far enough. If only the top of your thumb comes in contact with the deck, the pressure will not be enough to pull down more than a few cards. Also, since the cards have a long way to fall until they come to rest in the palm, the cards in the left hand can get messy. When doing an overhand shuffle, try to bring the stack in the right hand all the way down to the webbing on the thumb, then reach over the deck with the left thumb. This allows you to pull down many more cards, as you're simply pushing down with the left thumb on a chunk of the deck.

Confused? PM me and I'll try to be less confusing.
PBiddy412
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania
27 Posts

Profile of PBiddy412
Thanks photius and ToasterofDoom. I was looking at my shuffle and it seems that when I put a packet on top of the pile in my hand already, the cards that I pull back up pull the cards that were already in my hand. that's probably confusing.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
That sounds like you are using cheap cards, if ur not using a major brand like bicycle or the like, try those. Or ur using old dirty cards, such will stick. Try with a new, good deck. If older deck try with a little fanning powder to make them slick again.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Washing and drying your hands might also help
Cards never lie
PBiddy412
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania
27 Posts

Profile of PBiddy412
The deck is a brand new bicycle deck. I just bought it because I thought that was the problem but it is a new deck. Now that I got to the in jog, with the deck piling unevenly, I can't maintain a jog. I been practicing all day, got frustrating so I quit at one point.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Start the sleight really slow, observe each move and the result . . that might help. Use a mirror if necessary . . .
Cards never lie
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
If you are losing the jogged card, then the position of the left pinky may be off. It should be positioned/extended at the bottom edge of the cards in the left hand. This is if you are right-handed. Practice by injogging the card an inch or so. As you progress and get better the injog can be reduced. Overhand shuffling is not learned overnight. It will take some time to become proficient. You must learn to perform a normal OH shuffle second nature before learning how to control a card by injogging, breaks, etc. Practice slowly but surely and take breaks periodically. When you start fumbling with the cards that is your cue to quit for awile. Don't practice to the point of frustration, put the cards away. Don't quit, soon it will come about.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
PBiddy412
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania
27 Posts

Profile of PBiddy412
Thanks for the encouragement and help. Never really practice card mechanics. Just shuffled without much card control. Using control is so much harder.

Just curious, how long did it take many of you to accomplish the overhand shuffle with ease?
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
You will discover that these things will start to come very quickly as long as you practice. Make sure to have a deck of cards sitting anywhere you spend a lot of time doing nothing (i.e. watching TV). Pick them up while you are watching and just keep shuffling them, or practicing any sleight that you are working on.

Every time you do something new with your hands, your brain grows a "memory" of that action. When you do it again tomorrow, it will be easier. As you get more and more comfortable with the cards, sleights will become easier and easier to learn. The best part is that it doesn't take months for your brain to develop these memories, and once they are there, they are there to stay. All you have to do, especially in the beginning, is practice every day. Even if you are real busy, there will be a time where you have at least 20 minutes to play with a deck of cards, and it is important that you use it. Don't let yourself get discouraged, if the cards are getting to you, put them down and practice with coins for a few days, then jump back to the cards.

You have spent your life, whether you are young or old, shuffling and handling cards one way. You are now "breaking that habit". I am amazed how many people that I perform for that cannot shuffle cards when I hand them out to them. Not that it is an important skill for the average person to learn, it just seems like something that everyone does. So don't be discouraged, you are not alone, but you are the only one who can make yourself do it.

I remember I learned back palming (from Jeff McBride) while driving. For the hour every day that I sat in dead traffic, over and over again I back palmed and produced a card. I had a stack of cards on the seat, and about 7000 cards on the floor. Every time I dropped one on the floor, I picked up a new one and kept on going. This was a very difficult move for me to learn for some reason, but within a couple weeks I could perform it flawlessly. To this day, I go through those same motions whenever I have a movie ticket, business card, or any kind of card in my hand. If I pick it up, my brain wants to back palm it. I should probably mention that I do not recommend doing anything that takes your focus off the road while driving, killing yourself is one thing, but killing other people just isn’t nice.

Practice and you will succeed.

Matt Monte
Aim To Amaze
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Matt,

I enjoyed your comments very much. But - if I may make a suggestion - please do refrain from practicing magic in the car. It can save lifes . . . .

Andy
Cards never lie
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I have no idea. I got the hang of overhand shuffling and injogging almost immediately, but of course with practice it always got better.
PBiddy412
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania
27 Posts

Profile of PBiddy412
I have been practicing everyday. My girlfriend says I am getting better. I feel sometimes I can do it while other times its difficult.

As for Matt, I am sure he wasn't doing it while driving. I did notice he said dead stopped traffic, that would be good time to practice. Not much else to do. Smile

I'll keep practicing though and doing as as Royal Road says.

Would seeing a DVD or a movie give me a better idea of how to do the overhand shuffle in Royal Road?
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
I'm going to assume that you're right-handed here. If I'm incorrect, and you change what you're doing because of that (lots of lefties stick with the right-handed versions) simply change over the hands.

Make sure that the cards that are sitting in your left hand are more upright. If they are leaning towards your right hand, they will often be carried along with the cards being picked up by the right hand.
PBiddy412
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania
27 Posts

Profile of PBiddy412
Ahh yes I am right handed. I have not made that clear after many assumptions. My fault. I did keep the cards at 45 degree angle such as the hold was suppose to be according to Royal Road. I will give that a shot.
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
I also spend a lot of quality practice time in the car. You can't really kill anyone when you're stopping and starting (5 mph max). It's actually made me a more relaxed driver, since backed-up traffic no longer annoys me so much.
TAJ
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of TAJ
I had the same problem when I started learning the overhand shufle from RRTCM. The solution for me was to slow down and focus on thumbing off 5-6 cards in small packets with the left hand. Don't slam the pack up and down, do it slower and softer.

My right thumb, middle and index fingers are used to hold the deck, I don't let those fingers contact the packets I'm thumbing off. A steady controlled shuffle is better than a quick sloppy one.

Taj
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I just got done reading and learning this very chapter. Now I am struggling with learning the correct way to riffle shuffle.

While I do have a bit of the same problem as you, I find that slowing down and going back to basics really helps. At some point, it will become second nature to you.

I have successfully learned the basics of this chapter. The hardest parts for me were in trying to deal off one card at a time for the false shuffle and learning to do it without looking at the pack. It really comes down to developing the feel and muscle memory to be able to perform the required tasks each time. The more you do it, the more confidence you will have. A few weeks ago I didn't think I'd master the basics of this chapter. Now I can.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2006-12-03 15:46, PBiddy412 wrote:
I just recently bought The Royal Road to Card Magic and as most of you know the overhand shuffle is the first mechanic in the book. While I do the overhand shuffle when I lift my hand back up a lot of cards come back up. Is there something I'm doing wrong. I can do it really well and fast at times but sometimes I just have cards get really messy in my hand.

Don't worry too much about doing it fast, go for smoothness rather than spped, the idea is to make all your movements look the same whether you are really shuffling, controlling a card, running up a stack or whatever. Also, don't get too upset if you look a little sloppy, I still drop cards once in a while when I overhand shuffle, and I've been doing it for 40 years. It actually tends to disarm the audience a bit, they are less suspicious when I look like a doof. I recently bought the Royal Road DVD set, and on the first disc, when he's teaching the overhand shuffle lesson, even Paul wilson drops a card or 2, he just picks them up and goes on with what he's doing. Trust me on this, it just looks that much more natural.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Overhand Shuffle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL