The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Unexpected Visitor 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hello,
Doug Brewer's follow up to Unexpected Visitor, called Unexpected Visitor 2, is now on the shelves. Check out http://www.themagicwarehouse.com or http://www.mjmmagic.com. If it's anything like the first one, it's chock-full of very cool coin magic routines.

Jim
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
Thanks for the heads up, can't wait to check this out!
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
284 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
I know next to nothing about coin magic, so I decided to pick this one up along with Unexpected Visitor. The material that Doug Brewer presents on this offering is excellent. I will definitely be practicing quite a bit over the next couple of weeks to pick up some of the easier ones.

Mr. Brewer has a great teaching style. I have only one complaint, and I am unsure if it is a production problem or my media set-up. On the performance of some of the effects, the camera is in too tight to catch all the action. The one that sticks out the most as being affected by this is "Fidget". If anyone else has this disc, can you confirm my observation?
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
Doug Brewer's book, Unexpected Visitor, is also available at http://www.themagicwarehouse.com.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Hi John: I'll confirm it for you Smile I requested "tight" camera work to catch as much of the coin changes as possible (there are quite a number of changes in the "fidget" routine). Unfortunately the cameraman couldn't quite follow everything perfectly, and may have been a little too close a couple times. I didn't feel this was a fatal flaw, but I did recognize it could have been back a little further on a couple shots. In fact, they followed my directions so much my face is rarely even seen in any of the shots Smile I hope you enjoyed the DVD, however, and put the routines to good use.

Doug
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
284 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
Doug,
Thanks for the response. Getting in tight is really appreciated, especially to a coin neophyte like myself. It gives me a better idea of what my hands should be doing. I recognize your intention and appreciate your response. I did enjoy the DVD and I look forward to any future releases you may have.
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
I've only veiwed this once,I know that I'll be making good use of these routines, another very strong piece of work from Doug Brewer. If you liked unexpected visitor #1 than you will get a lot out of Vol.2 (IMO). His work with
the Triple Threat is pretty cool.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Congratulations on UV2. Fantastic routining and your work on the TT or 3CM simply great. All the efects on UV2 are excellent. I also appreciate your work on c/s with the suprise ending with the ________ coins. Bravo!

Rannie Raymundo
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Thanks! I appreciate that - especially from anyone nicknamed "the enforcer" Smile
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
A couple of things you should know about UV2 that Doug's a little too modest about:

First of all, it you liked the book UV, or the disc UV1, or both, you'll love the material here. Just like before, it's all field-tested working material that will amaze and delight audiences without leaving you sweating bullets. By that, I mean there are no funky angle problems, the resets and prop management are well-considered, and the effects are clear and direct. The sleights will not take years of practice, assuming you've already put in the years of practice necessary to get you to the point of needing solid commercial material.

And, you can set out performing this stuff with confidence. One of the routines is straight from Doug's award-winning close up act. Many of them are still in Doug's professional walkaround repertoire. All of the effects are engaging, so you won't have to worry about all your coin routines looking like "Coins Across". In fact, I don't think there's even a version of "Coins Aross" on the disc.

Two of the routines use fire. Mmmmm fire.

Two of the routines pioneer the use of the TT or 3CM gaffs in professional walkaround work. If you've just acquired one of these hip new gaffs, and you're wondering how best to exploit the potential, you really should check out Doug's applications.

Assembly freaks? See Doug's version of the Ross Bertram assembly.

Okito Box Fanciers? This is one of the few new routines for the box that you'll see released. As an added bonus, it's a magician fooler.

Or maybe you're "Hellbound Spellbound" curious? See "Fidget". It's a very clean full-blown routine that starts there, and goes on to a bigger and better finish.

And if you got a mini chop cup for Christmas, you couldn't ask for a better routine to start with than Doug's "Chopped Taters". If you've got bigger plans for your cup, it's still a good solid routine to start with. If all you want to do is entertain and amaze your audiences, you could just as well stick with this routine as is. BTW, I think this is the only routine on the disc that also appears in the UV book. All the rest will be new to Brewer fans and groupies.

For that matter, if you got a Triple Threat or a Sun and Moon or a Copper/Silver/Brass set or an Okito box for Christmas, this is the stocking stuffer you should have asked for.

The only possible shortcoming of the disc is that you never get a good clear shot of Doug's smiling face, which may or may not be all that big a loss, depending. Doug should put a photo up for his avitar, and then you can decide for yourself.

There's also no fawning crowd of professional chuckleheads. Don't bother showing this disc to your friends. Learn the routines, and entertain them yourself.

Okay, that's it, my unsolicited two cents of hype, in spite of the fact that one of the effects comes from my lecture notes, only Doug made it cleaner and so easy that just about anyone can do it. I hate when that happens.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Thank you, Mr. Kam.
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
884 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Doug, I loved your first DVD, and use your material all the time (this Famous Three-Coin Trick never fails to amaze). I was wondering about this one, but Curtis just made me hit "add to cart".

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Hi Phedon: I guess it got a pretty good review in Genii this month. I hope you enjoy it!

Doug
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
884 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
No doubt I will Doug. We're waiting for UV 3!

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Actually my next project is called "Half & Half" subtitled "Practical Magic for the Working Performer". It's a mix of half coin routines and something else (cards, shell game, etc) - not to be too obvious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Unexpected Visitor 2 (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL